Seamaster. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Float Planes Discuss float planes here...or any other aircraft that floats.

Old 06-15-2021, 06:05 PM   #1
Milesbaymatt
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Seamaster.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
New to this group and kind of excited. I used to fly years ago. Rc that is. Had a beaver which I built an extra 300. Numerous trainers. Anyway I sold out probably 17 yrs ago. Now my son is getting into it. We bought a foam electric beaver last summer which after many successful flights ended up in a tree. A guy I know sold me all his stuff last week. 8 built planes 4 not built boxes of stuff etc. In the lot is 4 seamasters. One of which is electric. I brought two of them out to where I am on an island and went to work to try to get them to fly. Long story short I got one in the air and lost control and now I’m down to one of those two. Lol. Fixable but will try another one first. I’m pretty sure that the receiver batteries are hooped. They’re airtronics radios and gear with 4.8 volt nicad batteries. Can I replace them with lithium ions and if so what does anyone recommend or should I just replace the same? Also where is a good place to buy/order through mail? Thanks in advance.
Milesbaymatt is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:10 PM   #2
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 34
Re: Seamaster.

Hey Miles,
Without knowing the Model of Airtronics Radios you have you would be safer to go with NiMh batteries as they are only 6v which your Airtronics should be able to handle.

Where about are you located? HobbyHobby is a store located in Streetsville ON but the owner Tom ships all over North America and has a well stocked Hobby Store that has been in business since 1984. His prices are fair and has a very knowledgeable staff who are all modelers save fore one clerical person.

If they don't have it in stock as long as their supplier has it and you place your order by Sunday he will usually have it the following Wed/Thur then will ship it to you via Canada Post.

Here is there website.... www.hobbyhobby.com
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678

Last edited by scaleguy; 06-15-2021 at 08:23 PM.
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:57 AM   #3
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 60

As you can see from the pic know the Seamaster well. That one was built back in the mid 80's and is currently waiting completion of its third engine, (a Saito 56).

Although one of the best amphibs out there it does have one fault. The horizontal stab is far too flexible and can contribute to loss of control if honking hard on it. I braces the leading and trailing edges with thin C/F rods and problem solved.

Instead of NiCads or NiMH packs strongly recommend going more modern with a 2S LiFE my flight pack of choice for the last 6 years or more. In fact, also power all my transmitters with them as well.

A 2S pack nominally specs out at 6.6V, although that drops immediately to close to 6V under load. This is close to what you would see with a 5 cell NiCad or NiMH source, with the LiFE giving you considerably higher current output for the rated capacity. Even your older Airtronics gear should be fine running that voltage.

You did not specify, but were any of those planes sitting long term with the flight batteries plugged in? If so you can have what is called "Black Wire Disease", where the negative leads, connectors or switch can corrode. This looks like what you see on old batteries that have gone dead, with a white powdery build up on each end of the cell. Unfortunately with this app most or all will be hidden and not easy to spot. You may be able to charge up the packs enough to get the servos to move on the ground, but in flight the extra load and current requirement causes the pack output to fall below useful levels. From your perspective it may seem like loss of signal, but the end result where you have no control is the same.

For that reason I opt to trash any switch assemblies when this storage issue comes up. Servo extensions and any connectors get a close inspection for corrosion on the pins and ANY hint means any gear gets replaced. I can install new leads and connectors on servos to reuse them, but with the cost of good performing units really my own time to spend. Even economy servos from a good name brand far outperform what we had when I started with higher reliability and quite reasonable cost.

Not worth risking the aircraft and persons or property for old gear. At least pull some connections to see if any signs of corrosive build up or darkening of the pin material.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DigitalCameraTransfer 861.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	1732419  

Last edited by Cougar429; 06-16-2021 at 12:50 PM.
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-16-2021, 10:12 AM   #4
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 59

The older Airtronics radios will handle the 6 volts but the lithium-ion voltage (7.4v)will be on the high side , also we don’t know what is being used for servos and that can be the issue .
Have sent him a lengthy pm but no reply yet . I suggested that either 4.8 or 6v Eneloops will probably work well for his application with older setups .
Agree with Gary in that the older wiring should be replaced due to the copper wiring getting brittle and corroding a dark brown instead of a shiny bright colour. The other thing is the older Airtronics on 72 MHz using the slotted plugs which are almost impossible to get today.

Nice stable of aircraft , Gary .
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-16-2021, 12:51 PM   #5
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 60

Thanks. Sorry, I was going to recommend you for the pack choices, but guess coming home from a 12 hour midnight shift has me a bit wonky.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in