Old 05-28-2020, 08:50 PM   #1
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 33
AC-2 Resurection...

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Some of the guys who were active here in the early days of RCC, might recall this plane. It was my 2nd successful own design, built in 2002, and I had flown it for 2 or 3 years before yanking the engine and gear for another plane. Back then, it was common for me to sell one thing to help fund the next. This plane was a great flyer - much like a big Ugly Stik - with the huge constant thick chord wing, ample control surfaces and although not light weight (a lot os basswood was used instead of balsa) it was an easy flying sport plane.

I ended up selling it in 2004 or 2005, to another club member, who sold it to another and then it changed hands for a third time. But it never was flown again after I sold it, just stored in a basement, then a garage, for the past 15 years.

I got it back in February of this year. I was planning to put the turbo prop in it that is going in the AMR Trainer 50 (that I have a build thread on) - but I decided to get it flying back in original form instead.

I am using the same Hitec servos I had previously (some bought used here recently, some ordered from Great Hobbies) although I will be using a modern setup with a power-safe JR DSM receiver, two Lipo batteries and a regulator, optical kill switch, etc. I used to have a Brison 69cc engine in it - but I purchased a Zenoah G62 with a solid state ignition to use instead.

I’m looking forward to getting the plane cleaned up and back in the air. Once I get the rest of the components, it shouldn’t take much to reinstall the gear and get it airworthy again.

Having been on a bit of a nostalgia kick this past year, this is a nice addition to add to my fleet, as most of my other planes I designed and built were flown until they “expired”, lol. Ill take it easy on this one, but it’ll be nice to see it in the air again after 15 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5A14EF56-951E-4090-844E-3CAC2E817BCF.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	1675557  
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:10 PM   #2
NEW222
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Chancey C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 10
Re: AC-2 Resurection...

Nice trip down memory lane there. You must really be happy it survived all those years and especially that you got it back. I like the design and simplicity, or so it looks. I am referring to the flat turtledeck area and also appears to be a few 'flats' from the canopy forward rather than the traditional 'rounded' look.
NEW222 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:21 PM   #3
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW222 View Post
Nice trip down memory lane there. You must really be happy it survived all those years and especially that you got it back. I like the design and simplicity, or so it looks. I am referring to the flat turtledeck area and also appears to be a few 'flats' from the canopy forward rather than the traditional 'rounded' look.
Yes, the fuselage is made from 1/8” plywood - with 1/4” formers. The canopy section is actually epoxy/glass, which was laid up on a foam block I shaped, and the cowl was made the same way (one shot foam plug that you cut and melt out with thinners after the Epoxy/glass is cured.)

Its a simple plane - wings are on an aluminum tube. Flat tail feathers from 1/2” stick stock. Wing is constant chord, thick symmetrical wing, typical construction with partially sheeted from the spars forward.

I actually flew this on a Brison 50cc first (the 3.2) then the 69cc (4.2) as well as a few twins. The G62 should fly it as a nice sport flying plane.

There is no damage to the plane, other than being a bit dirty from storage. The covering is all good and my decals are still all over the plane, lol. Just like I made it.

That photo was from the day we took it out to maiden it, at the TARMAC field in Engleheart. I was 31 or 32 years old. Boy time flies... ill be 50 this year.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:26 AM   #4
Cat 1
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Chris S.
Radio of choice:
Graupner MZ-24 PRO
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 4

Love this story Andrew - Glad you were get the plane back and in the "hangar" it belongs in.
I understand this nostalgia kick you are on. I have a just couple years on you. When you are thirty something, fifty seems so far away. When you're 50 - thirty seems just moments ago but it's a time that would like to preserve and remember because as you look back - you did some awesome things. Enjoy the AC-2 again!
Cat 1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:56 PM   #5
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat 1 View Post
Love this story Andrew - Glad you were get the plane back and in the "hangar" it belongs in.
I understand this nostalgia kick you are on. I have a just couple years on you. When you are thirty something, fifty seems so far away. When you're 50 - thirty seems just moments ago but it's a time that would like to preserve and remember because as you look back - you did some awesome things. Enjoy the AC-2 again!
Thanks... you are for sure correct. 50 seemed a lifetime away just “a few” years ago. Where did the time go? I remember being young, single and without kids... time was seemingly endless and always had a million projects on the go. But I wouldn’t trade it for anything. My only hope is one of my kids will find the same joy in this hobby as I have had all my life.

Old 07-26-2020, 06:54 PM   #6
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Just finally started on this project. I spent the afternoon going over the covering. For a 20 year old airframe - the Monokote is in great shape and just had a bit of re-shrinking to do after a good cleaning of the grime.

I will need to build a motor box to bring the G62 out 3.5” from the firewall. Will cut the keyed together parts on the CNC at work and epoxy together.

Then installing the servos, new fuel tank and radio gear.

I’m hoping to fly it again sometime in August! I sure built this thing durable (heavy, lol). Lots of Baltic birch ply and basswood.

I was going to strip off a bunch of the original decals and such but I think I will just leave it be as original.

Old 07-27-2020, 09:11 AM   #7
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Cut out this morning. Not glued yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	782948EC-5A18-4A21-9366-9C26815DC576.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	873.0 KB
ID:	1683397   Click image for larger version

Name:	FAF62D8E-A0EE-4D87-8E94-17E1786979B1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	878.1 KB
ID:	1683399  

Old 07-27-2020, 06:35 PM   #8
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Still not glued up - wanted to see how the G62 fit the motor box and dimensions were correct. They were!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CED57533-1F36-4B3F-BF36-5685989182F0.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	961.1 KB
ID:	1683447   Click image for larger version

Name:	7437C0B8-64A9-40B9-B369-1C062CACD697.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	856.6 KB
ID:	1683449  

Old 07-27-2020, 09:13 PM   #9
NEW222
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Chancey C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 10

Amazing work on that motor box there. Looks great!
NEW222 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-04-2020, 02:08 PM   #10
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Got the wings cleaned up, and servos installed. Also servos installed in the fuselage and engine mounted and throttle servo hooked up. New fuel tank and fuel lines, dot mounted. Just need to finish up a few patches and tightening the covering in the fuselage.

Then installing the two lipo packs, ignition pack, switches, turbo reg and optical kill and receiver.

No more micro switch and servo engine kill lol. Although it worked 20 yrs ago.

Then I just need to drill the new 22x10 prop and run in the G62 a bit before flying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in