Giant Aeromaster ARC - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
ARF / ARC Aircraft Discuss anything and everything ARF or ARC related.

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:11 AM   #1
Glenn Nigh
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Glenn N
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7
Giant Aeromaster ARC

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have been flying a 1/4 size Aeronca Champ for several years. I also have a 1/4 size Cub I will fly this summer. Eventually I wold like to get into WW-1 airplanes.

I have just purchased a Great planes Giant Aeromaster to practice giant biplane handeling. I have several Quadra 35-40 motors and plan to use one of these for power. I bought a new Specktrum 7 and will use this system . I am not too familiar with the setup with this yet, ie, mixing etc..
Keeping in mind that I am a "Sunday flyer" does anyone have any recomendations. I bought the ARC so I can see and get inside and make changes before I close it in. It looks on first glance to be a very nicely built airplane.
The ARF has MonoKote covering, are there other suggestions ? I don't mind working with MonoKote and it's a tough finish when done.

Glenn MAAC #9343
Glenn Nigh is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:18 PM   #2
DO335
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 5
GIANT AEROMASTER

Three suggestions for you:

1. Put in a more powerful, larger displacemnt engine than your Quadras. You'll find that people complain about anything less than about a 45-48 cc Fuji or Zenoah as being too small and underpowered, with many saying that about a DL/DA 50 or Zenoah 62 is just about right. It will need power to do decent aerobatics. My ST2500 will fly a 20 lb. plane. But I'd never expect anything other than smooth take offs and landings with it in this plane.

2. Monokote can be troublesome to work with. Ultracote is much easier. In my case, I cannot keep wrinkles out of Monokote or get good adhesion to anything - even itself. No such problems with Ultracote. Bottom line: use whichever works for you.

3. The stab is a whopping 31" span. Consider making a removable tail, as I did. If you ever need to ship this thing, you'll wish that you did a removable tail.

I've also found that the plywood in the ARF GA is a bit punky. Flimsy and cheap, if you will. I've also had lots of delamintation of the outer layers.

There are lots of other fine points of discrepancy with the ARF. Don't know if you'll run into that with the ARC.

Oops. One last thought. If you really want to try a WW I plane, why not just get on with it and do that? Why fiddle around with all this other stuff?
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
Glenn Nigh
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Glenn N
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7
Thank you DO335 for your good advice.,
Yes, it makes sence to use the larger motor I will go with the Quadra 52. I don't know why I had the 40 Quadra in mind for the G.A. I know 52 is old by to days standards but I have one.
I like the ultracote as well. It sure is a lot easier to handle. I will plan on using that.
You are right about the size of the tail. I have a van so I should never have a problem. I will have to take the two rear seats out! It is too big to take with luggage to say Florida or someplace for a time. I think it will be local flying for me. Good thought , though.
I hope my plywood is as good as it looks. I will do the edges with thin cyano to seal them where I can.
I will fly the smaller WW-1 models but I thought I would like to get used to the larger units on the Aeromaster, maybe bad thinking???

DO335, thank you again for you thoughts,

Glenn
Glenn Nigh is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
DO335
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Cheshire C

Total Props: 5
ARC giant aeromaster

You will probably find that for ground handling, the WW I bipe is a lot different from the GA.

The big deal is the nose moment and the landing gear configuration and placement.

Usually, stand off WW I biplanes, with those produced by Balsa USA as examples, have fudged landing gears - wider stance, altered length, changed mounting loctaion - that sort of thing to improve ground handling and reduce the tendency they may otherwidse have to nose over. They also have altered outlines and enlarged fins/rudders. Look at their 1/4 & 1/3 Nieuport 17. Compare those to the museum scale Proctor kits. You'll see what I mean.

Also, a tail skid makes steering quite a different thing from a tail wheel.

Overall, there are lots of other differences, as you'll learn out once you fly both the Aeromaster and a WW I bipe.
DO335 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in