michaely
RCC Master Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis & Horus 10x
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 8
Re: Covering with fabric

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by proptup View Post
I have used sig coverall on a 1/4 Marquart Charger Biplain, a built from plans 1/3 Laser 200 and lastly a 1/4 Balsa USA Cub made into a PA 11. (Flaps and different cowling)
The dope is bad stuff, so on the Cub I tried something very safe and no smell. I used Stick it where ever the fabric touched the frame, heat shrunk the fabric as tight as possible. Then I mixed 9 oz. of cornstarch into 3 oz. of water then added 7 oz. of Diamond Vari-thane. Make sure it is all mixes fully. Then I used a 3'' foam brush and carefully applied it to the Sig Coverall. After letting the first coat dry fully I applied a second coat. The weave was now filled and looked as though it had several coats of Dope.

I did make a few test frames with Coverall to find the correct consistency of my mixture so it did not blead through the Coverall. Don't brush it on rather just lay it on and without forcing through the weave of the material.
I spray painted with a good latex paint.

It works and looks great.
Cheers
Proptup

This recipe for fabric filling - cornstarch, water and waterbased varnish - is a new one for me.
Is the 9 ounces of cornstarch a volume measurement? I would think 9 ounces by weight would be too much to dissolve in just 3 ounces (by volume) of water. Is the water warm/hot to facilitate dissolving the cornstarch?

A somewhat similar recipe for a silk/polyester fabric filler is Knox powered gelatin and water - one packet (15ml/one tablespoon) dissolved in one cup of hot water; sticky mix the viscosity of light cream; brushed on to the fabric from wet to dry, no brushovers; keep mix warm to prevent congealing before application.
I've picked up this recipe from several oldtimers (like me - smiley) on other forums. I've experimented with a salvaged panel and it works - a fills well with a hard surface - but not taken the test panel further with color coats/fuelproofing, etc.
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:29 PM   #42
mgkluft
RCC Noob

I am: Martin K

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cessna180 View Post
Just a word of advise. Whatever system you use FOLLOW THE MANUAL. Try not to reinvent the wheel. If you want to ruin your fabric job, use your heat gun.
Michael
True wisdom here.
I've used the Stewart System, which, if you follow the factory instructions to a "T", results in a fabulous finish. If you wing it, not so much.

Martin
mgkluft is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:51 PM   #43
Dennis Pedersen
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Dennis P
Radio of choice:
JR XG11 / Mikado V Control

Total Props: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaely View Post
This recipe for fabric filling - cornstarch, water and waterbased varnish - is a new one for me.
Is the 9 ounces of cornstarch a volume measurement? I would think 9 ounces by weight would be too much to dissolve in just 3 ounces (by volume) of water. Is the water warm/hot to facilitate dissolving the cornstarch?

A somewhat similar recipe for a silk/polyester fabric filler is Knox powered gelatin and water - one packet (15ml/one tablespoon) dissolved in one cup of hot water; sticky mix the viscosity of light cream; brushed on to the fabric from wet to dry, no brushovers; keep mix warm to prevent congealing before application.
I've picked up this recipe from several oldtimers (like me - smiley) on other forums. I've experimented with a salvaged panel and it works - a fills well with a hard surface - but not taken the test panel further with color coats/fuelproofing, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by proptup View Post
I have used sig coverall on a 1/4 Marquart Charger Biplain, a built from plans 1/3 Laser 200 and lastly a 1/4 Balsa USA Cub made into a PA 11. (Flaps and different cowling)
The dope is bad stuff, so on the Cub I tried something very safe and no smell. I used Stick it where ever the fabric touched the frame, heat shrunk the fabric as tight as possible. Then I mixed 9 oz. of cornstarch into 3 oz. of water then added 7 oz. of Diamond Vari-thane. Make sure it is all mixes fully. Then I used a 3'' foam brush and carefully applied it to the Sig Coverall. After letting the first coat dry fully I applied a second coat. The weave was now filled and looked as though it had several coats of Dope.

I did make a few test frames with Coverall to find the correct consistency of my mixture so it did not blead through the Coverall. Don't brush it on rather just lay it on and without forcing through the weave of the material.
I spray painted with a good latex paint.

It works and looks great.
Cheers
Proptup
Interesting guys, I learnt somewhere many years back to use talcum powder and have used this many times with dope finishes. It makes a very good filler for the base coats. Always many different ways to accomplish the same thing.

Old 10-27-2019, 11:56 PM   #44
HAL9KPCM
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave Z
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 31

I used the talc method years ago when I covered my first plane.

My Heli: Futaba 18MZ 2x(JR GSR260Z Sports FBL, Zenoah G26H, Futaba CGY750 Gyro, Futaba BLS-351 cyclic, BLS-251 tail, Futaba BLS-451 Throttle. Gryphon voltage regulator).
HAL9KPCM is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:08 PM   #45
HAL9KPCM
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave Z
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 31

Just the ailerons left to cover (Just digging through my scraps). I had a few fellow modelers voice concerns that I'm going to need a lot of tail weight to balance out that engine. As it sits right now, it's almost level, just slightly nose heavy. Servos and receiver are going in under the back seat location, going with pull pull cables on both elevator and rudder. One battery for the radio, another for the on board glow driver. Current weight is under 11lbs. Final balance should just be a matter of where I strap down the batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191201_184748.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	1653365  

My Heli: Futaba 18MZ 2x(JR GSR260Z Sports FBL, Zenoah G26H, Futaba CGY750 Gyro, Futaba BLS-351 cyclic, BLS-251 tail, Futaba BLS-451 Throttle. Gryphon voltage regulator).
HAL9KPCM is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in