LiPo Charging - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 06-28-2015, 07:46 PM   #1
Wendingo
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Wendingo
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0
LiPo Charging

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I did some research and could not find the answer; therefore, I was hoping someone could answer one question about LiPo charging for me.

I have a simple LiPo charger who's setting are all changed by switches on the front. From what I understand, ideally I should be charging at 1.5 AMPs (I am going to run 11.1V 1500mAh 3S1P lipos), but my charger will only charge at 1 AMP, 2 AMPS, 3 AMPS, etc.

My Question: Is it better for me to charge at 1 or 2 amps?
Wendingo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:08 PM   #2
Wizzard
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Wayne S.

Total Props: 6
Re: LiPo Charging

What is the "C" rating on the battery? If it says "2C' or "3C" then you can charge at double or triple what the MAH is, 1.5 X2 or 1.5 X3. If it says nothing then you can charge at 1 or 2 amps, I have done this in the past as at one time a lipo could only be charged at 1C......
Wizzard is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:36 PM   #3
Daren71
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Daren M.
Radio of choice:
IX12

Total Props: 18

You aren't going to hurt the battery charging it on either setting. 2 amps will be a bit faster, but that's all. If you are still concerned, charge at 1 amp. Most modern lipos can take a lot more amps. It sounds like you have an old charger, make sure the balance lead of the battery can be attached to the charger. This provides a measure of safety, monitoring the charging process of all cells.

I've posted this guys website many times, his info is clear, well written, and tells you everything you should need to know.

http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-...arging-process

Please feel free to ask questions as they come up. There is lots of info out there.

Daren

Old 06-28-2015, 09:55 PM   #4
gixerfien
RCC Pro Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: cory b
Radio of choice:
Vbar Control, Spektrum DX9, DX4S
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daren71 View Post
You aren't going to hurt the battery charging it on either setting. 2 amps will be a bit faster, but that's all. If you are still concerned, charge at 1 amp. Most modern lipos can take a lot more amps. It sounds like you have an old charger, make sure the balance lead of the battery can be attached to the charger. This provides a measure of safety, monitoring the charging process of all cells.

I've posted this guys website many times, his info is clear, well written, and tells you everything you should need to know.

http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-...arging-process

Please feel free to ask questions as they come up. There is lots of info out there.

Daren
I dissagree, it really matters about the charging c rating before you can determine whether or not it is ok for the pack as WIZZARD mentioned.
Goblin380,MiniV,Xnova3215,YGE90LV,BK3001/BK5005,Switchblades,GensAce55c
Goblin700C,VbarSilverline,Xnova4530,HW160,BK7002/BK7006,Switchblades,Pulse65c
Blade450x,All lynx/blade upgrades-4SALE IN CLASSIFIEDS
HK Clik+Twisted Hobby Click super-lite(BNIB)
Losi Mini8,Leopard LBP2838,HW10BL60,BK5001,Shumacher Pins,Rhino1050mah40c
gixerfien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:59 AM   #5
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Radiomaster, Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard View Post
What is the "C" rating on the battery? If it says "2C' or "3C" then you can charge at double or triple what the MAH is, 1.5 X2 or 1.5 X3. If it says nothing then you can charge at 1 or 2 amps, I have done this in the past as at one time a lipo could only be charged at 1C......
I hope he doesn't read 20C rating and then follow your instructions.

Anyway to be safe I would stay under 1C and go with 1A.
Also if it's not a balancing charger as mentioned then throw it out and get a balancing charger or get a separate balancer to plug in. You want to keep the individual cells at the same level.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:29 PM   #6
Wendingo
RCC Junior Contributor

It is certainly a balance charger. This is basically what it looks like. The shape is identical, and the only real difference is that my charger can charge up to 6 cells and can charge at 5 amps.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dtxp4620.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	650905  
Old 06-29-2015, 06:30 PM   #7
Wendingo
RCC Junior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard View Post
Both of my batteries (didn't see the point in getting more until I was done building) are both 1C. Knowing how dangerous it can be I am going to charge them at 1 amp.

Thank you everyone.

Last edited by Wendingo; 06-29-2015 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:21 PM   #8
gixerfien
RCC Pro Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: cory b
Radio of choice:
Vbar Control, Spektrum DX9, DX4S
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 11

i suggest you chuck that charger and get something better than that.
Goblin380,MiniV,Xnova3215,YGE90LV,BK3001/BK5005,Switchblades,GensAce55c
Goblin700C,VbarSilverline,Xnova4530,HW160,BK7002/BK7006,Switchblades,Pulse65c
Blade450x,All lynx/blade upgrades-4SALE IN CLASSIFIEDS
HK Clik+Twisted Hobby Click super-lite(BNIB)
Losi Mini8,Leopard LBP2838,HW10BL60,BK5001,Shumacher Pins,Rhino1050mah40c
gixerfien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:36 AM   #9
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

I agree with Cory as I don't see any balancer plug in on the picture shown . Although some batteries do have built in balancing circuits most do not and this is very important. Also check out with a local club to see if you can get some knowledgable help. Although no mention it is important that lipos and life batteries be left in a storage charge state and not left fully charged. If left fully charged they can deteriorate to a useless condition as some have found out in the past.
stegl is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:03 PM   #10
Midair
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ
# of RCs: 22

Total Props: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixerfien View Post
i suggest you chuck that charger and get something better than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
I agree with Cory as I don't see any balancer plug in on the picture shown . Although some batteries do have built in balancing circuits most do not and this is very important. Also check out with a local club to see if you can get some knowledgable help. Although no mention it is important that lipos and life batteries be left in a storage charge state and not left fully charged. If left fully charged they can deteriorate to a useless condition as some have found out in the past.
I agree with gixerfien. Consider a better charger, within your budget, of course. There are many fine relatively inexpensive chargers on the market, that will serve you better than the one in the picture that you posted. Stegl, it does appears that there may be a three slot balance port on the front, right side of the charger. Finally, while I'm certainly no expert, and regardless of what others have said about charge rates (they're not incorrect) I always balance charge my batts at 1C. I am fortunate to have enough batts of various capacities and cell counts that I don't need to charge any faster.

Peter
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.

Last edited by Midair; 06-30-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in