is there a synopsis for the laws and rules regarding RC by Transport Canada? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 09-14-2021, 10:29 AM   #1
Marzipan
RCC Noob

I am: Cameron V

Total Props: 0
is there a synopsis for the laws and rules regarding RC by Transport Canada?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm wondering if anyone has created a synopsis about the laws and rules regarding RC aircraft in Canada?

I understand the stuff of fly and no fly zones, public places where there are people, buildings, etc, but the bits about weight, GPS and such elude me.

I only intend to fly foam craft, so I don't think weight will be an issue, but I read something about someone who wanted to fly a very fast foam aircraft and someone commented on the need to register it.

I suck at reading legalese, like a lot of people, but once someone helps spell it out / explain it to me, I reach critical mass and have enough speed to carry on and since I'm brand new to this, I haven't gained enough momentum

thank you for your assistance!
Marzipan is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-14-2021, 07:17 PM   #2
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 61
Re: is there a synopsis for the laws and rules regarding RC by Transport Canada?

Trouble with reading someone else's interpretations when they rewrite TC wording can lead to doing the wrong thing. I had one of their websites up and didn’t find too difficult reading.
See if I can find it and post it . Read a bit and make your own notes . Keep the sessions short to suit.
stegl is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:35 PM   #3
Marzipan
RCC Noob

Re: is there a synopsis for the laws and rules regarding RC by Transport Canada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
Trouble with reading someone else's interpretations when they rewrite TC wording can lead to doing the wrong thing. I had one of their websites up and didnít find too difficult reading.
See if I can find it and post it . Read a bit and make your own notes . Keep the sessions short to suit.
oh yes, you have a point...but being open minded and malleable, everything I read will be taken with salt until looked into and understood better. I've always found a tldr; / Cliffs Notes helps me get started than starting with no idea of context.

Old 09-15-2021, 12:35 AM   #4
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 26

Sorry, not going to be sued by you later when you "may" be fined!
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-15-2021, 07:41 AM   #5
Googles Paesano
RCC Noob

I am: Goggles Paesano
Radio of choice:
The Jetistone
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 2

As other's have commented, best to just directly look up the Transport Canada Documents.... very straight forward and WAY less confusing than the MAAC documents ...those make my head hurt
Googles Paesano is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-15-2021, 01:50 PM   #6
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 61

Yes , the MAAC documents are more to the " letter of the law" and rightly so as in many cases may be dictated by MAAC's insuring company plus TC. Try and read their insuring policy and that will make your head spin ! !
A lot of the published stuff that TC puts for many to read are not the "official" wording of the regulations but are published to make understanding easier.
stegl is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:00 PM   #7
Marzipan
RCC Noob

well, I did as recommended and do see that the TC rules, etc, are quite easy to understand. I didn't look at them previously so as to avoid the possibility of confuzzlement if they were full of legalese.

I asked for the short form as the laws regarding firearms are confusing as hell and don't make sense half the time and I was expecting it to be the same for drones.

PHEW! thanks all

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in