Old 03-08-2019, 11:36 AM   #11
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61
Re: Mill/drill update

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMJET View Post
Looks good Andrew , that mill drill is very similar to my first setup . it works well and is quite rigid for small projects and light cuts but I hated the round pole because every time I had to change tooling I would loose my set . It was like a chess game, thinking how to proceed without having to move the head . I have a full size Millrite now and the table travels up and down ,much better .. I put scales on my lathe too and use them all the time . you will love the DRO . .
For now it’s as good as I can justify... lol. Works well for the smaller stuff I do. Actually I’m happy I have this as I still remember milking everything with a milling vise in the lathe. Looking sideways gets old fast!!
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:02 PM   #12
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX 20 & DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 237

Not knocking it Andrew, is a great little machine and I did lots of good work with mine , I just found the pole type quit time consuming but I was dong multi cylinder 4 cycle heads that had had more tool changes then I could count. many of the tool changes required more travel then the stroke of the machine LOL.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:27 PM   #13
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMJET View Post
Not knocking it Andrew, is a great little machine and I did lots of good work with mine , I just found the pole type quit time consuming but I was dong multi cylinder 4 cycle heads that had had more tool changes then I could count. many of the tool changes required more travel then the stroke of the machine LOL.
No I understand.. it is what it is - I know the raising of the head on the round post makes it a glorified drill press. I completely agree, a proper knee mill would be head and shoulders better.

When I bought this in 2003, $2000 was a lot of money for me to spend. I was super happy to be able to get this one, and it’s served me well. Used machine shop equipment is rare up here. And most of what is for sale is old and beat up or way too large and expensive.

Some day I might look at a better mill but probably not until I don’t have to work a steady day job, which might be a while lol.

A machinist friend of my fathers always told me you can make small things on a big machine, but you can’t make big things on a small machine. That’s ok but you still need space to house the machine and the cash to buy it

My shop is tight. 6000 sq feet sounds big, but I have too much woodworking equipment- but that’s what pays the bills.

Last edited by AJCoholic; 03-08-2019 at 05:38 PM.

Old 03-08-2019, 04:36 PM   #14
madmike46
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Mike
Radio of choice:
Futaba T7C, T8FGS
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCoholic View Post
You’re the one who suggested the feeder!

Guilty as Charged LOL.
madmike46 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:05 AM   #15
aspeed
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: alanf
Radio of choice:
monoline
# of RCs: 50

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCoholic View Post
No I understand.. it is what it is - I know the raising of the head on the round post makes it a glorified drill press. I completely agree, a proper knee mill would be head and shoulders better.

When I bought this in 2003, $2000 was a lot of money for me to spend. I was super happy to be able to get this one, and it’s served me well. Used machine shop equipment is rare up here. And most of what is for sale is old and beat up or way too large and expensive.

Some day I might look at a better mill but probably not until I don’t have to work a steady day job, which might be a while lol.

A machinist friend of my fathers always told me you can make small things on a big machine, but you can’t make big things on a small machine. That’s ok but you still need space to house the machine and the cash to buy it

My shop is tight. 6000 sq feet sounds big, but I have too much woodworking equipment- but that’s what pays the bills.
A regular Bridgeport is often $1,000 around here, although lately they seem to have gone up a bit. I have seen them for $500 with a DRO a couple years ago. Of course they are 600 V. That was a major problem for me, and still is. Now there is a variable frequency drive, VFD, which makes things better. I don't think a regular mill takes up much more space, maybe two feet wider.
I paid $3500 for my Hartford Bridgeport copy. I could hardly get $1,000 for it a few years ago. I wanted to keep the Smithy like yours, but didn't want to take the hit. I got more for the little one anyway. The knee type is much nicer to work with. I have seen some guys make a tool that fits on a drill for power feeding the table up and down. Might try that some day. My little mill could hog out material pretty quickly. Never really shifted on me.
aspeed is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:32 AM   #16
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
A regular Bridgeport is often $1,000 around here, although lately they seem to have gone up a bit. I have seen them for $500 with a DRO a couple years ago. Of course they are 600 V. That was a major problem for me, and still is. Now there is a variable frequency drive, VFD, which makes things better. I don't think a regular mill takes up much more space, maybe two feet wider.
I paid $3500 for my Hartford Bridgeport copy. I could hardly get $1,000 for it a few years ago. I wanted to keep the Smithy like yours, but didn't want to take the hit. I got more for the little one anyway. The knee type is much nicer to work with. I have seen some guys make a tool that fits on a drill for power feeding the table up and down. Might try that some day. My little mill could hog out material pretty quickly. Never really shifted on me.
All my woodworking equipment runs on 240V or 600V three phase. I have about 20 machines in the shop from 5hp to 25hp. I don’t have three phase running to my shop due to my location, but I have a large three phase rotary converter that can run up to 75 Hp at once. Has served us well for the past 8 + years, I was skeptical. And I have a large step up transformer to get the 600V. My small mill and my surface grinder are already on 240V 3 phase, I can easily run a line anywhere if needed. My problem right now is space. But if I could get a real mill in good shape for a grand, I’d drive to pick it up with my 3/4 ton. I’d find room lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in