Curious Propeller Problem - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 06-01-2020, 03:25 PM   #11
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 32
Re: Curious Propeller Problem

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
That 220 should run a 20x8, never mind a 19x9.. easily. I cant see that being the issue. Its a settings issue more than likely. If in doubt riches up both needles (the low end just a bit, maybe 1/4 turn but open yup the top end and readjust. Warm it up well and then set it up again.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-02-2020, 11:57 PM   #12
FWSPT
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0

Saito's are powerhouses and that 220 should have no problem swinging that 19x8. I would lean in the direction as others have mentioned: overheating or too lean on the LS needle. Have you checked the glow plug? Sometime more load and a weak plug might be the bad combination that leads to deadsticks. Suggest you also check your fuel lines for any pin holes and the tank stopper to make sure its still on tight. I just had a weird experience on an OS46AXII in my Stinger where the engine would have great HS, decent LS and rough mid range. This engine always ran great before.Engine would die in the air when transiting from high throttle to low. Ended up being the tank stopper that had gotten loose and i was transforming the fuse in a giant flying fuel tank. Caught it just in time tough.
FWSPT is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:54 AM   #13
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 47

A compromised plug is a good point and a reason to ask the OP how removing external heat affects performance. Any time I fire up a new engine, one with new parts or even back from long-term storage can be hard on plug filaments and is why a spare plug is always handy. Recommend the same to friends or recipients of my engine work.

A plug may fire fine with external heat applied, but if the filament has been impacted with microscopic particles they tend to stick and affect or even totally prevent the catalytic action that keeps the plug hot with it removed. That seriously affects performance, ease of mixture settings or, in the worst case, the engine quits completely.

I am having a similar problem right now with the OS Gemini 160 twin mounted on my Waco. Both basket case engines that contributed to one complete and running example had the older air-bleed carbs, (at least one had the later version rods) and no amount of leaning would get the engine to stop horking out oil from the pipes and case drain at low throttle. Finally experimented with opening the air bleed hole diameter and with it nearly twice stock it settled down to a very reliable and clean idle.

All well and good till installed the aftermarket Keleo exhaust with its much longer and more restrictive piping. Back to rich idle so increased diameter again in the hope can lean it out enough. Would have been nice if one of those engines had the newer two-needle carb as mixture would have covered a much wider range.

The point of this is to show that even with an excellent track record with carb quality, OS can occasionally get it wrong. Also, mechanical alterations can and will have an effect on engine performance throughout the throttle range. Something as minor as the incorrect glow plug can have you chasing your tail.

Last edited by Cougar429; 06-03-2020 at 07:02 AM.
Cougar429 is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:22 PM   #14
MJD
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Mike D

Total Props: 3

Ditto - I usually say when in doubt after checking the obvious basics, stop and replace the plug to eliminate that variable early before going nuts. Then try the next things on the list..

- Someone else
MJD is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in