RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 04-12-2018, 02:29 PM   #21
floyd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 14
Re: Methanol In Ontario

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post
5 gal = 19 litres approx at 50/50 so roughly if you want 10% you need to add 19 to get 25%, another 19 to get 12.5%..... NO?
That's what I originally thought. But your only thinning down half the 19 liters pail which is the methanol. That's how I came up with the 9.5 liters amount. I haven't been in school for 40 years so I could be wrong. Cheers Floyd
floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #22
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 19

I was a little in error also. I believe the spreadsheet I did is right (added above)You are not thinning down half. You need to double the volume. Enough anyway!!
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-12-2018, 02:38 PM   #23
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 35

The way or procedure I use to mix my fuel as you can't buy it premixed is:
for every 1 litres which is 1000 mil
is take your empty container of say 1000 ml and add say 180 ml of oil for 18%
or the number of ml equal to the percentage of mix you want then add 50 ml of nitro
for 5% and so on. Lastly add the fuel to the 1000 ml mark and you have your final brew.

You can work multiples of 1000 ml of final mix to what ever ratio. ie you want to mix 5 litres final volume then you just multiply the 180ml of oil by 5 and the 50mm of nitro by 5 and add the alcohol to top out at 5 litres total.....

My turbine fuel I need 5% oil so I take my empty container add my 500 ml of oil and top up
to 10 litres (10000 ml) of kerosene total to give me my 10 litres at 5% oil mix.
Everyone has their own way so no one way could be right as long as the final percentages work out.

Last edited by stegl; 04-12-2018 at 02:46 PM.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 02-03-2019, 11:47 AM   #24
Falco250
RCC Noob

I am: Luciano B
Radio of choice:
AFHDS
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0

I use 99.9% methyl hydrate (used to thin/clean lacquer) from Canadian Tire at 7$ for 3.78L (1 US gallon/4 quarts or 128oz), which I blend with 1 US quart (32oz) of Sig Castor oil to make 5 US quarts of 20%oil-fuel for a cost of $30 + taxes.
For 4%nitro-23%oil-fuel I substitute 1 US quart of commercial 20%nitro-18%synthetic-RC-fuel for 1 US quart of methyl hydrate (ie: 3m-h + 1cas + 1ni) for a cost of about $40 + taxes.
Falco250 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-03-2019, 08:33 PM   #25
Flyinbullmax
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Jean Pierre
Radio of choice:
JR 7202
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 3

Hi, Methyl hydrate is Methanol. Here is the Google definition: Methanol (methyl hydrate) is a colourless liquid with an alcohol-like odour. ... Methanol is completely soluble in alcohol, water and ether. Methanol is generally used for industrial manufacturing purposes and has a variety of different uses.
Cheers
JP
Old 02-03-2019, 09:38 PM   #26
floyd
RCC Supreme Contributor

Here in Ontario Crappy sells a 3.78 liter jug for $9.99 plus tax which is $11.30.
The 5 gallon pale of Methanol is $60.00 taxes in. Plus the pale is steel and sealed better than the plastic jugs are. That's why I prefer to run PowerMaster fuel because it comes in a sealed steel can. Plastic is porous and any alcohol will absorb moisture over time. I also find my engines run better and rev better on Synthetic oil versus Castor. Cheers Floyd
Old 02-04-2019, 09:03 AM   #27
aspeed
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: alanf
Radio of choice:
monoline
# of RCs: 50

Total Props: 6

What kind of synthetic oil can be used for home brew that isn't $15 a litre like Klotz? I still have a few bottles of Klotz left with the castor mixed in at the factory, but really don't want it in there for my one 4 stroke .90. (just one, I like two strokes) I know I can still buy fuel at Toledo reasonably, but guys in the club here are avoiding glow planes completely now because it is $40 a gallon. I can see why if you run a big plane with a .90. It would be nice to go to a Walmart and get some synthetic oil that mixes with methanol for maybe $8 Cdn. a litre.
aspeed is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-30-2019, 07:51 AM   #28
floyd
RCC Supreme Contributor

When I started this post in early 2018 I figured I'd save $6.00 a jug to mix my own FAI fuel and it just wasn't worth the hassle. I picked up a jug of 10% Cool Power last week for another member and paid almost $34.00 with tax. The price of fuel is up 25% over last year. Well the $6.00 I was going to save has now doubled this year making me think about my glow fuel supply. Since I run mostly newer OS engines that need no nitro the FAI fuel should work fine. I'm going to mix a jug of FAI fuel and see how my engines perform. I'm thinking the PowerMaster 20% fuel I did run was $40.00 a jug last year and will be $50.00 a jug this year. And I burn 1-2 jugs a week. I can now justify mixing my own fuel. The link to the oil in this post also has a price increase this year, but not by 25%. Cheers Floyd
Old 04-30-2019, 08:32 AM   #29
aspeed
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: alanf
Radio of choice:
monoline
# of RCs: 50

Total Props: 6

Some guys add 2% acetone to make it run smoother like nitro does. It does not add power though. It does evaporate fairly quickly so I would not mix big batches with it. I find many planes I seldom run at full throttle for very long except control line stuff of course.
aspeed is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in