Engines Discuss engines

Old 03-23-2018, 01:16 PM   #1
floyd
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 14
Methanol In Ontario

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I found a place to buy 99.9% pure Methanol from in Ontario. As of today the price is $60.00 taxes in for a 5 gallon pale. The guy I spoke with said they can get NitroMethane also. I was planning to mix down some cases of 25% I have but by the time I buy the oil I might as well buy 5% for $20.00 a jug from the Hobby store and mix it down that way. But any body that can use some this looks like the only place I've found in my area to buy from. The guy said he's in Keswick. Cheers Floyd

http://www.streetperformance.com/par...io-canada.html
floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:23 PM   #2
aceplant00
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Todd M
Radio of choice:
Hitec Aurora 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7
Re: Methanol In Ontario

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-p...ationFlag=true
aceplant00 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:28 PM   #3
floyd
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplant00 View Post
Those drums don't look very healthy, they look like they've been sitting for awhile. I burn Powermaster fuel because I like the steel containers it comes in, plus the extra seal under the cap. How would you handle a drum like that? The link to the 5 gallon pails is a little easier for someone to work with. Mind you if the Methanol is still good it would be a great price but that's a lot to mix down, even for a club to buy. If anyone wants to chip in on a drum I'll take 10 gallons of it. Cheers Floyd

Old 03-24-2018, 05:00 AM   #4
again
RCC Apprentice

I am: zb

Total Props: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Those drums don't look very healthy, they look like they've been sitting for awhile. I burn Powermaster fuel because I like the steel containers it comes in, plus the extra seal under the cap. How would you handle a drum like that? The link to the 5 gallon pails is a little easier for someone to work with. Mind you if the Methanol is still good it would be a great price but that's a lot to mix down, even for a club to buy. If anyone wants to chip in on a drum I'll take 10 gallons of it. Cheers Floyd

what does that work out to for 1 US Gallon / 3.785 Liters

Seems pricey for methyl hydrate, or do they have something else in it?

thanks
again is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:27 AM   #5
floyd
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

A 50 gallon drum works out to $2.00 a gallon. Its Methanol not Methyl Hydrate. I'm not sure on the difference but glow fuel is Methanol based. Buying the oil won't be cheap, synthetic is $20.00 a liter. If you mix it at 18% oil you'll need 180ml of oil to 820ml of Methanol to make a liter of non nitro fuel. My math might be off but it looks right. So 720ml of oil to 3280 of Methanol to make a 4 liter jug of fuel. But again you can buy 5% nitro fuel for $23.00 a jug at the Hobby shops with taxes in. It looks like the cost is $17.00 for a 4 liter jug once you've mixed it, with no nitro. Cheers Floyd
Old 03-24-2018, 11:19 AM   #6
michaely
RCC Master Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis & Horus 10x
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 8

I'd also be in for 10 gallons of the drum of methanol.

From what I have read of groups buys of a drum of methanol, I gather that once such a drum is opened, it should be drained into separate containers immediately.... so that water vapor contamination of a partially full drum is prevented.

I don't have 5 gallon containers so I'd pay for those if someone has access to them. Perhaps meet up at April22nd 905 Squadron swap meet in Newmarket.

Klotz Super Techniplate (80% synthetic; 20% BeNol/castor oil) is available from Klotz dealers in Ontario at $65 a gallon, with free shipping in Ontario for cases.
http://www.klotzcanada.ca/

Great Hobbies lists Sig "klotz tech racing oil" - which I suspect is the Super Techniplate for $69; out of stock in gallon sizes but can be special ordered - and $23/quart in stock (what Floyd mentioned?). Btw, Great Hobbies used to sell Super Techniplate and still sells Sig Castor oil: $50 for a U.S. gallon; "normally stocked" but no gallon size at this time.

A lot of engines only need 2-3% nitromethane to stabilize needle settings so a store bought jug of high nitro glow fuel could used to add this nitro into the homebrew. And some of the European designed engines are fine on no nitro/FAI fuel.

Michael in Newmarket

Last edited by michaely; 03-24-2018 at 11:37 AM.
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:21 PM   #7
again
RCC Apprentice

Yes, that's correct . The Methonal I use is labeled

Methyl Hydrate.

Developed for us out East.

we add some oil to it, mainly Castor, 20% and it works a peach.

Been like that for years.

3.785 liters though runs 7 to 8 $ a jug for the Methyl hydrate though .
Perhaps it's the trucking from the Factory in Montreal that drives up the cost

Thanks
Old 03-25-2018, 08:17 PM   #8
aspeed
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: alanf
Radio of choice:
monoline
# of RCs: 50

Total Props: 6

I bought my castor from Monarch Oils in Kitchener probably 30 years ago, and methanol from Crappy Tire or wherever, just to be sure it is fresh. It is usually $10.99 a chintzy US gallon at most hardware stores around here. I have not checked the price of Methanol at Monarch Oils. I have been getting fuel from Ritches Brew at the Toledo show which is coming up in a couple weeks. Last time it was $15 US for 10% 50 - 50 synth.castor. Klotz was $12 US a quart last year I think. That is the real cost as well as nitro. Torco has the nitro, but I am not sure where dealers are in Canada. There is supposed to be a bakery supply store near Detroit that has Castor quite reasonable. Some people like that stuff. Her's a place in Ohio too. Some US guys use them https://www.bulkapothecary.com/raw-i...ls/castor-oil/

Last edited by aspeed; 03-25-2018 at 08:48 PM.
aspeed is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:43 PM   #9
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 35

Thing to remember when buying methanol or methyl hydrate is it may advertise that it is 99.9 % pure but that is when it is the manufacturing stage but the longer it sits the more it absorbs moisture. I remember when I used work for Shell Aerofuel that we had small sealed viles containing a white power that we used to check for moisture in av-gas and jet fuel . Used to use a small syringe and inject a small sample into the vial ' shake it and if it turned pink ; there was too much moisture in the fuel. The darker the pink , the more the moisture....Because we moved so much fuel don't ever remember having any problems. Probably was more for checking contamination of fuel .
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:03 AM   #10
again
RCC Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
Thing to remember when buying methanol or methyl hydrate is it may advertise that it is 99.9 % pure but that is when it is the manufacturing stage but the longer it sits the more it absorbs moisture. I remember when I used work for Shell Aerofuel that we had small sealed viles containing a white power that we used to check for moisture in av-gas and jet fuel . Used to use a small syringe and inject a small sample into the vial ' shake it and if it turned pink ; there was too much moisture in the fuel. The darker the pink , the more the moisture....Because we moved so much fuel don't ever remember having any problems. Probably was more for checking contamination of fuel .
That is interesting what you did at Shell, for me the Standard Issue Liquid ,arked Methyl Hydrate has worked for years.
Shell fuels, also where used for moving people so it's good that a procedure was in place to check for excess moisture

Even jugs that sit around for 5 years have still worked for me

The amount of moisture they absorb is likely a reflection of where and how it is stored.

We fly for fun, and play with our toys just to get a break from the usual household drama.

Certified components may be fine, but off the shelf stuff works.

Even castor Oil can be source in other places then your Local Model supply house.

Using 20 % castor and no synthetic is just fine, 30 to 40 $ for fuel just propels more towards using Lipos.

My last Pail of Castor Oil 2o L was around 85.oo and that will last me a while

I have never seen Nitromethane on a shelf around here, but don't need it either

Don't let the Urban Field Myths fool you, they're copied often, just have a look at Google sometime

It's really interesting to read what is done in Ontario and other places

Thanks again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in