Engines Discuss engines

Old 11-03-2018, 09:08 PM   #1
floyd
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 14
Oil Your Glow Engine

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
As our season winds down here in Ontario I'd like to remind every body to get some oil in your glow engines for storage. Even though it should be done after a days flying its better late than never. The consequences are in the picture. I use a mix of half red tranny fluid and half air tool oil. But any oil would be better than none. And remember if you need bearings I stock all common sizes for glow engines, starting at $20.00 a set shipped. Cheers Floyd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4259.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	1585903  

Last edited by floyd; 11-03-2018 at 09:56 PM.
floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:35 PM   #2
NEW222
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Chancey C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 3
Re: Oil Your Glow Engine

Thanks for the tip, reminder, and heads-up. About your air tool oil. Is one better than others, or would any air tool oil and ATF (red) work? I have never done this before, and have not had any problems, but would like to start. As well, how much do you use, and where is best to put it? A drop or two in the plug hole, a drop or two in teh exhaust port, and a drop or two in the carburetor? I would also imaging a syringe would make this the easiest? Thanks.
NEW222 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:38 PM   #3
NEW222
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Forgot to add that I have put a couple drops of standard 3-in-1 oil here and there in my engine before and it worked out in the past. I now have a very nice FP .40 () on my air-car trainer and would like it to be trouble free in the spring.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:55 PM   #4
floyd
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 14

Air tool oil will never let any rust set in on steel parts. Red tranny fluid is high in detergent and will help keep steel clean. Your FP engine is a bushing engine and should be fine with any oil. Mostly put down the carb to oil the bushing but if the exhaust is off a few drops in the exhaust port will do. I don't recommend taking the glow plug out because of the glow plug threads being soft. But if you put some oil down the carb you can tilt the engine to get some to the head through the transfer ports while you turn it over. Any oil you have is better than no oil. I use a ink dropper and 25 drops is fine and will never be too much. I'd say at least 10 drops down the carb, turn the engine over several times and it should be fine. Cheers Floyd

Last edited by floyd; 11-03-2018 at 10:09 PM.
floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:07 PM   #5
NEW222
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Thanks for your time and explination. I will se my dad tomorrow and get the ATF and oil from him. Then I will do as stated. Thank you.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:33 AM   #6
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 170

Some very timely advice. Especially for this time of year, when we tend to put her planes away for the winter.

Interesting thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I brought out the plane that I had in storage in the garage for the last 8 years. When you put a plane away, you always have the intention of taking it back out in the spring of the next season. But in some cases the plane ends up sitting in the garage for longer as your interests are drawn elsewhere.

This is what happened to this particular model that I brought out last week. I was a little concerned about the state of the engine, particularly of the inside, so I thought I would open it up and inspect it. Other than the outside of the engine having a bit of gummy residue on it, the inside was shiny and new. All this was thanks to the fact that I put some after-run in it when I put it away all those years ago.

In contrast, I had a friend bring me a plane that he bought from an older gentleman, who also had it storage for about the same time. The engine was completely gummed and when I opened it up, it was very disappointing to see all the rust in there. It was obvious that the previous owner put it away, and probably with no intention to let it sit for that long, but that's just what happens. We get distracted and we forget to do a regular maintenance.

So yes, oil that engine. You'll be glad you did.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:54 AM   #7
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 65

Yes! Thanks for the reminder, on my engines I use a syringe and a short bit of fuel tube to give them an enema up the vent fitting on the bottom or back of the crankcase. This puts the oil directly into the bearings. A few drops go in the carb and on top the piston too.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:52 PM   #8
johnshannon
DJS Johnny
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: John Shannon
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9

Total Props: 0

This is a very good formula. It works best to run your engine at full speed and cut off the fuel supply to kill the engine. Killing an engine with low throttle leaves fuel in the engine. This is not the best. Oil the engine after each flying session this way. For storage you can not use too much of the half and half ATF/Tool Oil. It flushes out easily with fuel. BTW, half and half ATF/Varsol makes the worlds best penetrating oil.

Johnny
johnshannon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:26 AM   #9
allan980
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Allan A
Radio of choice:
futaba 9cap
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 1

Hi All
I was under the impression that petroleum based oil is bad for the membrane on pumped engines so I use only synthetic ATF and synthetic air tool oil in all my engines
Am I wrong in my thinking ?
allan980 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #10
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 46

You are correct,to be on the safe side you should always use synthetic in glow engines , many glow engines use silicone based O rings and they will swell when exposed to petroleum based oils . it will also swell any silicone tube it comes in contact with .cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan980 View Post
Hi All
I was under the impression that petroleum based oil is bad for the membrane on pumped engines so I use only synthetic ATF and synthetic air tool oil in all my engines
Am I wrong in my thinking ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in