Revy1
RCC Apprentice

I am: Jason
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 6+

Total Props: 0
Re: LiFe on ignition

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
same issue....double posts
Revy1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:06 AM   #32
Revy1
RCC Apprentice

I am: Jason
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 6+

Total Props: 0

Gary, no apologies needed. A little discussion is healthy.

From what I have gathered so far, a 6v nimh at full charge is around 7.4v. At 7.2v full capacity, a LiFe pack falls into that "safe" range. LiPo on the other hand would need a regulator to be safe. The printing on the ignition box and the instructions do contradict each other which adds to, I'm sure, burnt out iggy's.

I will use a Leopard Power 1750mAh LiFe from Pro-Rc unregulated on my new 35 on it's own switch.
Revy1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-03-2019, 12:45 PM   #33
grizak
Authorized Vendor
★ Vendor ★

I am: Jeff K

Total Props: 8

For what it is worth - here is my experience:

Check the voltage rating on your actual ignition module (not the manual) - the DLE35RA has been around for awhile, and I know of at least 3 different ignitions that it has shipped with. Early in the DLE35RA run, they shipped with ignitions rated at 4.8v - 6.0v. In the case of these ignitions (RCEXL), the rating is very specific. So if your ignition is rated for a max of 6.0v - that means it can handle a voltage of 6.0v - NOT 6.1v or 6.2v or 6.6v. For these ignitions, a 5cell NiCAD/NiMH or a A123/LiFe is too much without a regulator. If you run one of these ignitions at 6.1v (or higher) you will prematurely kill the ignition - it may not die on the first flight or the tenth flight - but it will die before its time (we have replaced many of these ignitions because of this - we are an RCEXL reseller - and yes I have seen an ignition fail by over voltage on the very first engine run).

Newer DLE35RAs have newer ignitions that are rated for higher voltages (some will be 8.4v and the newest will even be 12v) - again the actual ignition module will list the rating. Do not exceed the rating.

Your manual may not correspond to the actual ignition module (they rarely update the manual). Also - don't assume that a "brand new" engine will have the newest ignition module - sometimes there is old stock, sometimes the manufacturer won't use the "newest" ignition on a specific batch of engines. Check the rating on the ignition.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:46 AM   #34
ronheli
RCC Contributor

I am: Ron
Radio of choice:
JR 9303 2.4/PCM10s Dx 18
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 1
Hi guys. this is what I found to be the best way on mine ignition to guaranteed there's going to be no issues. I use one battery at 3600 amps. Life battery which is a 6 6 volt.I run one switch to my receiver and 1 switch to my ignition through a optical kill a voltage regulator set at 5.2 volts. I run 645 and 5645 Hitec servos on my 30 cc and a 50cc. Had no issues whatsoever.I do like to try to keep it as simple as possible.

hope this helps.

Last edited by ronheli; 05-05-2019 at 07:55 AM.
ronheli is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in