OS 46 SF - trying to get it running after years of sitting - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 05-03-2019, 10:39 AM   #11
Amanks7477
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Andy
Radio of choice:
Spectrum 6e
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 1
Re: OS 46 SF - trying to get it running after years of sitting

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK View Post
While all the comments about fuel lines and tanks are well intentioned, if the engine runs fine at full song then the tank and lines are fine. The problem is in the carb or with the carb adjustments, old fuel or a sketchy/dirty glow plug that won't retain heat properly anymore.
I am using new fuel and a brand new #8 Plug.

I think the problem must be in the carb. I am going to hit it with some carb cleaner, get the needle really cleaned up and try again.

It could easily be the LS adjustment, I will play with that as well.

The good news is that the motor does fire up and runs well at high throttle settings - just need to get the mid and idle working well now and I think I will have a great engine.
Amanks7477 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #12
Amanks7477
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum 6e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar429 View Post
Have to agree. The HS needle controls mixture from 3/4 throttle to full so if able to run wide open then you do not have any flow issues.

However, that is the hottest plug condition so may hide other issues.

I found on nearly every 2-stroke OS I start with that HS needle 1 3/4 turns out from lightly bottomed. You do this with the throttle fully open to prevent interference.

The LS needle should start even with the end of the barrel, not the external throttle arm adapter.

Once you have it running set the HS needle slightly rich of peak, then slowly drop throttle and tweak the LS till you have reliable idle. A quick snap full open to check response will fine tune the LS setting. If surges then picks up too rich. If it dies then too lean.

This procedure needs to be done with external heat off the plug as it will mask when your reach HS peak and hide fine adjustments.

It also is predicated on a mechanically intact and good condition engine. OS carbs tend to have problems once sat for a while, particularly in the O-ring(s) around the HS needle. If old, dried up or cracked they will not seal correctly and prevent proper adjustment. The quick fix is a piece of fuel tubing over the needle and receiver tube.

You will also find any time an engine is run new, after repair or long-term storage it can likely compromise the plug, sometimes making the engine difficult to start or remain running once heat removed. I try to run used plugs and keep a spare handy under these conditions till some time in as almost guaranteed it will require replacement. Can get expensive doing this with new plugs.

Where are you located? If close enough could offer to run it and set it up on the test stand.
Great advice - thanks!

I am based in Mississauga. Where are you?
Old 05-05-2019, 10:55 AM   #13
Amanks7477
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum 6e

After a few days of not touching the engine, I tried again today. Took the Low End needle all the way in, and then turned it out 3 turns. Got the engine going and took back the throttle, farther back than before, it kept going, finally stopping after about 30 seconds - things were getting better.

Took it out another 1/2 turn, and things improved even more. Playing with the High Speed needle and in a couple of more attempts the engine was running like it was brand new.

Took it to a very low idle - just a half click to fully closed - I let it run for the rest of the tank. It just kept going. It did seem to improve a bit over the 15 min, could be after heating up some old crud got cleaned out but it ran perfectly.

I now have proven engine to put into an unproven airplane. May even try to get it in the air today.

Thanks for the help!

Old 05-05-2019, 03:42 PM   #14
Mad_Mike
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Mike M
Radio of choice:
Taranis Q X7
# of RCs: 25

That's great Andy.
I didn't help but I learned something.

Nothing like a good runner!
Mad_Mike is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:50 PM   #15
Amanks7477
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum 6e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Mike View Post
That's great Andy.
I didn't help but I learned something.

Nothing like a good runner!
I love old quality engines. There is nothing close to the old OS engines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in