Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Arnold H
Radio of choice:
Frsky Horus X10
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 1
Excessive exhaust residue

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi. I have a RCGF Twin 30cc and, in my opinion, it is spitting out an excessive amount of exhaust residue, as bad as my nitro's used to be.
I am using Stihl oil, mixed at 40:1, as recommended in the RCGF manual. However Stihl recommends a mix ratio of 50:1.
So, what do you think? Should I go to 50:1 as Stihl states on the bottle? Would less oil in the mix reduce the residue, and yet not cause harm to the engine? Engine is past any warranty.
I tried a couple tanks of 40:1 Redline oil with the same result. Excessive exhaust residue.
I also tried, but was not abe to run carb any leaner than now set.
Any suggestions/advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Arnold
HANGAR 9 PA18 Super Cub RCGF 30 Twin
KMP Harvard DLE 55 c/w Electric start (In progress)
MAAC #42080
RSVenture is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:52 PM   #2
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 44
Re: Excessive exhaust residue

what do you mean by excessive , some oils don't run very clean and leave a black residue , some oils run clean and leave a clear or cleaner residue . it's a good sign when you have some residue as it show you have enough lubrication. I run 40:1 and always see some oil on the belly of the plane .. you can reduce lubrication so it shows none but that will increase wear , some guys don't care about the increased wear as they feel they still get enough life from the engine even if it is shortened and they just want a clean plane . likely the difference between rebuilding after 3 or 4 years or 10 ..
Old 05-01-2019, 08:31 PM   #3
RSVenture
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Frsky Horus X10

By Excessive Residue: flights of 5-7 minutes, black, oily residue drips from cowl, landing gear, and back to mid fuselage.
Flights of 10 minutes plus has residue dripping as above, plus, all the fuselage bottom, as wel as horizontal stab, elevator, bottom of rudder.
My other gasser have some residue which I expect but this seems, at least to me, like way to much!
MAAC #42080

Old 05-01-2019, 08:34 PM   #4
jsparky
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: jeff
Radio of choice:
Taranis plus FrSky Horusist
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMJET View Post
what do you mean by excessive , some oils don't run very clean and leave a black residue , some oils run clean and leave a clear or cleaner residue . it's a good sign when you have some residue as it show you have enough lubrication. I run 40:1 and always see some oil on the belly of the plane .. you can reduce lubrication so it shows none but that will increase wear , some guys don't care about the increased wear as they feel they still get enough life from the engine even if it is shortened and they just want a clean plane . likely the difference between rebuilding after 3 or 4 years or 10 ..
For the most part I would agree.. I don't think Stihl oil is the all that great.. but I do look at the residue left on the plane , and I want to see it there.. and I want to see the colour of it.. this gives me one indication of how the engine is running and if there is enough lubrication..

At a 40:1 mix and you are getting residue like a nitro motor.. then I would have to say there is something wrong with your engine.. maybe a damaged ring allowing to much blow by..

Or you have your mixtures way out of wack..
The Cat is Back !
jsparky is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:58 PM   #5
floyd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 13

I don't fly any gas engines but my chainsaw which recommends 32:1 mix and my blower and weed wacker all use the Stihl 50:1 oil with no issues for the last ten years. I was worried about my chainsaw not getting enough oil but its been fine since I switched over. Why not try the Stihl 50:1 mix and see how the engine runs. Cheers Floyd
floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:17 PM   #6
RSVenture
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Frsky Horus X10

Thanks for that info Floyd. I was leaning towards doing the 50:1 mix. Spitting out as much oil residue as it is, should be fine with a little less.
MAAC #42080
Old 05-02-2019, 01:09 AM   #7
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 35

Unless I am missing something, when Stihl recommends a specific mix ; I would presume they are referring to Stihl equipment . I would stick with what each motor manufacturer recommends. As for weed wackers or any other non-aircraft use motors operate under differing loads or operating conditions and have to dissipate differing amounts of heat. Sure they are all gasoline powered engines but that’s where it ends.
Jeff brought out a good point : could be some blowback past the ring or if a reed type intake ; might not be making a good seal and could be blowback thru the carb.

Reminds me , many years ago when Byron sold their fuel they had instructions in each case of fuel advising users to adjust their carbs a little different than other fuel manufactures . Yet there was always a few that wouldn’t follow their instructions and wanted to do it their way and then bitched because they couldn’t get a good run. Similar comparison ; would you go with the motor manufacturers recommendations or the oil companies ? Always other brands out there to try .
Just some food for thought in my opinion. Sure, Some will pick apart my suggestions so go right ahead....

Last edited by stegl; 05-02-2019 at 01:30 AM.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:53 AM   #8
RAMJET
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVenture View Post
By Excessive Residue: flights of 5-7 minutes, black, oily residue drips from cowl, landing gear, and back to mid fuselage.
Flights of 10 minutes plus has residue dripping as above, plus, all the fuselage bottom, as wel as horizontal stab, elevator, bottom of rudder.
My other gasser have some residue which I expect but this seems, at least to me, like way to much!
First be sure you are mixing your oil correctly , at 40:1 you should get some spitting down the belly and maybe a bit on the gear but I have never seen anything dripping . the comment about the catb spitting back is a real possibility ,also make sure the carb is not leaking ..you may need a velocity stack on the carb. Sounds like the oil is coming mostly from the intake if it's dripping from the cowl ,starving the engine for oil will do little to help if this is the problem . Another possibility is the engine baffling ,if the engine is not baffled correctly you will have to run the engine much more rich then should be necessary to control the heat of the engine .also if the engine is not broken in it need much more fuel to stay cool .. just a few thoughts

Last edited by RAMJET; 05-02-2019 at 07:24 AM.
RAMJET is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:50 AM   #9
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 15

A dark colour in the exhaust oil usually means excessive wear of the engine. In the ultra-light aircraft world many of the popular brand name oils were not recommended. I found the best was the Bombardier synthetic. It prolonged the life of several engines that were known to to have a short life.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:00 AM   #10
floyd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
Unless I am missing something, when Stihl recommends a specific mix ; I would presume they are referring to Stihl equipment . Just some food for thought in my opinion. Sure, Some will pick apart my suggestions so go right ahead....
When I sold Amsoil we had a 2-Stroke oil that could be ran as high as 100:1. It all depends on the quality of oil you use. The Stihl oil is a high quality oil with the fuel stabilizer already in the oil for all the alcohol in our fuel. My chainsaw is 20 years old, it starts perfect each time I use it and I've never had to touch the carb, even after changing my ratio to 50:1. Cheers Floyd
floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in