Old 05-07-2019, 11:10 PM   #1
NEW222
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Chancey C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 3
Engine Test Stand

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi all. So I have been wondering about an engine test stand. I am capable of building things, but was wondering if there was a cheap commercially available engine test stand. I would however prefer it to accept engines from .049 to .40(beam mounted engines), but in all honesty, something that would hold from .09 to .40 would do.. I have been using wood scraps in the past, but am now wanting something better than that. I too do not mind building something if plans are available. Or even a used stand if i came across one for the right price. It is looking like our weather is starting to improve and will be burning some nitro this year as I got a few engines to run in. Thank you.
NEW222 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:41 AM   #2
kip51035
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Cliff S
Radio of choice:
Hitec, Futaba - FM
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 15
Re: Engine Test Stand

I made one out of some aluminum 2" box tubing an some 1 1/2" aluminum angle. The angle is installed inside the box tubing and is used to vary the size of the opening cut in the box tubing It is held in place with a 1/4" bolt through a slot in the box tubing. On the other side of the opening I attached a strip if aluminum on the inside so the engine would be level. I drilled and tapped the front of the aluminum strip and the aluminum angle to accept a 4-40 screw to go through the front bolt hole of the engine mount. I made a couple of strips of 1" angle to clamp the engine down.

"If my being here has made your day a little more pleasant then I have done my job" Red Skelton 1913 - 1997 (famous Comedian)
kip51035 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:13 AM   #3
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 38

There are lots of different options and designs, some commercially available such as Model RC, PSP Manufacturing and others.

The problem I found with all of them is the requirement for adequate anchoring. This is just as critical, as you can see from this video:

[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

Some seem to like clamping to picnic table, etc. Works, but lacks elegance.

I fix my own and friends engines so finally figured I needed something to run the normal range we use up for testing and setup. My solution was to put this together. Self contained and portable. Often comes with me to the field to test engines since limited testing times at home, (next door neighbor works steady midnights).

Have run everything from Cox TD051 up to OS 160 twin, although those required adapters. The 160 twin in particular due to height and mounting differences. Everything else, all the way to YS 120's and Saito 150's have been tested on this. Could modify it for larger, but don't run gas and larger nitro becomes less likely due to fuel costs anyway.

I will try and take better pics of the clamp design as that is key to how it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1088.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	673.9 KB
ID:	1629937   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1398.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	1629939   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1553.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	703.0 KB
ID:	1629941  

Last edited by Cougar429; 05-08-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-08-2019, 10:44 AM   #4
bbbair
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Rob B
Radio of choice:
Hitec
# of RCs: sum

Gary;

You do build things with 'Style and Flair!'
Old 05-08-2019, 11:12 AM   #5
michaely
RCC Master Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis & Horus 10x
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 8

Here's a thread from rcgroups.com on engine test stands:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post40025334

Scroll down to post #15 for a video on a fully adjustable test stand that you can either buy or make yourself.

I've made one and it wasn't difficult... the aluminum T-slot tracks and bolts are available from Lee Valley (and possibly big box stores) and a few square inches of aluminum or steel plate, along with some plywood and some hardwood for the engine blocks is what you need..... power woodworking tools beyond a drill would speed up the cuts but the slots for the T-slot tracks can be done with handsaw/chisel or formed by gluing together multiple layers of plywood. Slather on several coats of polyurethane for protection against the exhaust oil.
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:15 AM   #6
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Thanks. Love challenges like this and at the time had access to mills and other machines. Base is just a thick alloy plate left over from other projects.

Fabbed everything from 7075 since what was available and strong enough for most apps.

Forgot to mention since the TD in the first pic I moved the throttle over to the left side to avoid exhaust, which most commonly exits right side. Simple using bent rod and a couple of nosewheel steering collars running under the tank.

Same with the anchors. Originally made 4, but found just need 2 at the back. Added T" handles on the tops to aid in stepping on them to insert and pulling them back out of the ground. Pretty self contained.

All of this is just an example. Lots of the other ideas would work just as well.

Last edited by Cougar429; 05-08-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:34 PM   #7
NEW222
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Thank you for the help and ideas. I had found one online that may just foot teh bill. Now to check out one more thing before pulling the trigger....
Old 05-08-2019, 06:25 PM   #8
Dennis Pedersen
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dennis P
Radio of choice:
JR XG11/ SD10GS / V Control

Total Props: 10

These guys make some of the best universal test stands for the range you are looking for. Hobby shops in Canada used to carry them all the time but with all the electrics and foamies now days I guess it is not worth it ? They are great to deal with direct though.

http://www.jtecrc.com/engineteststands.htm
Old 05-08-2019, 07:09 PM   #9
NEW222
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Well, I just pulled the trigger and bought this one out of Great Britan. It looks very well made.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-RC-Ae...IAAMXQGqJRF8nz
Old 05-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #10
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I had looked at making something similar since it was relatively simple and inexpensive.

Again, recommend a good base for anchoring down.

Give us some pics when complete. You may inspire and help someone else looking for ideas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in