How much do sims help? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Flight Simulators Discuss flight sims.

Old 07-30-2020, 01:03 PM   #11
toonieroll
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX8 G2
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 23
Re: How much do sims help?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
A Sim is no doubt a huge resource for any RC pilot. I use a couple different sims on a regular basis and believe they help a great deal. I do find them more useful for helicopters than fixed wing but still beneficial for both.

I use Phoenix and AccuRC. Unfortunately Phoenix is dead. All of the software is available for download at https://www.rc-thoughts.com/phoenix-sim/ . You still need the Phoenix cable to use the software.

Lately I have been using AccuRC. AccuRC is Steam based. It seems to be more heli oriented than plane oriented. The latest and greatest models are sometimes added. They also have a big database of user made models. You don't need a special cable for it. I use a spectrum usb stick that works wirelessly. Also, if you have a computer that is up to it and VR googles it does a VR simulation that is really good. The resolution on the VR could be better but the feel is out of this world! It is so close to actually being at the field.

Edit:the cost of AccuRC is a great value at $49.99 usd/ 69.99 cdn.

Last edited by toonieroll; 07-30-2020 at 06:18 PM.
toonieroll is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-30-2020, 06:14 PM   #12
tskca
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Ken Lee
Radio of choice:
JR 28X

Total Props: 4

A sim is a must for all flyers, from beginners to experts.

Put in the time in the evenings and on rainy days; also perfect for those long winters.
tskca is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:32 AM   #13
deaconFlyer
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: B. McLaren
Radio of choice:
Taranis & 9XR
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 6

I have a radio that uses Open TX and was able to set my simulator to work with my radio(s) exactly. Every switch and stick responds as close to "real world" as possible. I keep several model slots just for my simulator models.

Everything mentioned above (crashes are indeed less expensive) holds true, but also I am able to program some of the wind conditions I regularly experience here, particularly take-offs and landings in some gusty crosswinds. Highly recommend doing this. I also recommend hooking it up to your TV and going as large screen as possible.

Are simulators perfect? No. It is far easier to line up on the runway in real life imho, but when you are learning, practising or even perfecting, they really do help ... and on those snowy, blustery or thunderstorm-laden days, they are worth having.

... that said, bass fishing simulators have generally proven to be useless.
... Luke 6:38
deaconFlyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 09-10-2020, 11:07 AM   #14
wajman
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Wajman
Radio of choice:
NX-10, IX-14 Spektrum
# of RCs: 24

Total Props: 33

I have had mixed success with sims realflight 9 has an improved training module

W
wajman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-10-2020, 11:46 AM   #15
MrCarbon
RCC Noob

I am: Joe Ginski
Radio of choice:
FUTABA 9Z and Spektrum DX7
# of RCs: 60

Total Props: 0

PRACTICE Makes perfect...I am a helicopter guy and without my SIMs I would still be hovering and breaking things. The newer SIMs are extremely accurate. It is especially important to see how the actual stick movements affect attitude and positional changes, I have several friends who have NEVER crashed because of their use of Sims. There are also many Helicopter books which show basic stick movevents for maneuvers.

A company in Germany even developed a "short lived' Sim call "Stick mover" It actually moved the sticks for you and you just hang-on. I really thought this was a great idea but it didn't last too long here in the states.

HAPPY SIMMING !
MrCarbon is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:12 PM   #16
HawkeyeLTS
RCC Noob

I am: Chad D
Radio of choice:
dx7s
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0

I found the sim very helpful. Nothing replaces real flying, but get as much time in on the sim as possible. Put it on while your listening to a podcast or the TV. Itll be worth it.
HawkeyeLTS is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in