SAFE with old Dx6i - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 08-01-2020, 10:14 PM   #1
Skanda Kishore
RCC Apprentice

I am: Skanda Kishore
Radio of choice:
Dx8e, Dx6i
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 0
SAFE with old Dx6i

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I just bought an Apprentice STS with SAFE and would like to know if anyone used the SAFE feature with an old Dx6i. The SAFE feature requires 3 way toggle switch that the Dx6i doesn't have. Any experiences of successfully binding to an older spektrum and mixing the Gear channel to work with SAFE?

Thanks,
Skanda
Skanda Kishore is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:38 PM   #2
ByronF
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: ByronF
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX8 and DX6

Re: SAFE with old Dx6i

SAFE can be bound to ANY switch not in use for another function. The key to enabling it is in the binding sequence. There are plenty of you tube videos to show you how.
ByronF is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:46 AM   #3
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

I am going from memory here, but I believe safe on your DX6i will only work with your gear and flap switches. It cannot be assigned to any other channel since the Dx6i does not have channel assigning capability.

You will have the failsafe feature "ON" or "Off" will be on the GEAR switch.
The normal 3 position flap switch will have 1) fail safe"on" with 15 degrees limited roll/pitch, 2) 45 degree limited roll/pitch and 3) unlimited roll/pitch. On a 2 channel switch like your have on your DX6i, you only get 1 and 3. For a student like yourself who will be flying with an instructor, position 1 is more a problem than it helps. What works best for people in a flight training program is to have positions 2 and 3 on your 2 position switch. You can program your travel adjust setting on the gear to dial switch position 1 so that it triggers the 45 degree limit in the first position and unlimited in the second.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last edited by Max; 08-02-2020 at 07:10 AM.
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 08-03-2020, 12:15 AM   #4
Skanda Kishore
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Dx8e, Dx6i

Thanks Max. Let me try this.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:26 AM   #5
Skanda Kishore
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Dx8e, Dx6i

UPDATE: The Dx6i didn't work with the AR3230 Apprentice receiver. I tried to adjust the travel on my gear channel as above and also looked at a few youtube videos that have "supposedly" got it to work with the old Dx6i. I literally went to the field just to see if any other flier had an experience but looks like everyone has moved on to newer radios for a while now.

I just bought a DX8e and was able to setup the SAFE as mentioned in the Apprentice manual and it was a breeze. I had it up and running in all 3 modes within in minutes. Excited to maiden it today!
Old 08-19-2020, 12:11 PM   #6
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanda Kishore View Post
UPDATE: The Dx6i didn't work with the AR3230 Apprentice receiver. I tried to adjust the travel on my gear channel as above and also looked at a few youtube videos that have "supposedly" got it to work with the old Dx6i. I literally went to the field just to see if any other flier had an experience but looks like everyone has moved on to newer radios for a while now.

I just bought a DX8e and was able to setup the SAFE as mentioned in the Apprentice manual and it was a breeze. I had it up and running in all 3 modes within in minutes. Excited to maiden it today!
Exccellent! Have fun. I am sure it will fly super smooth!!

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:22 PM   #7
Efliteman785
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Owen R
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 1
just a helpful word of my advice if your new to flying just start with a modern DX6 g3 remote i mean you get talk back voice events and the remote is ready to upgrade to the smart features of spektrum with today's new planes. It was the easiest remote and even though its a bit high for a first remote it does a lot! Personally I bought my dx6 put lots of flights on the models I had for it then upgraded to a dx9 for a month sold it got the ix12 thats a remote for everything anyway safe flying if it works for you good but a remote that talks to you and has the features a new pilot needs is definitely worth spending money on one. I started with the eflite Timber then went to umx version and a 2.1 meter Cessna 150 that I have been flying for almost 3 years
Efliteman785 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:07 AM   #8
WillYoung
RCC Noob

I am: Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efliteman785 View Post
just a helpful word of my advice if your new to flying just start with a modern DX6 g3 remote i mean you get talk back voice events and the remote is ready to upgrade to the smart features of spektrum with today's new planes. It was the easiest remote and even though its a bit high for a first remote it does a lot! Personally I bought my dx6 put lots of flights on the models I had for it then upgraded to a atv for a month sold it got the ix12 thats a remote for everything anyway safe flying if it works for you good but a remote that talks to you and has the features a new pilot needs is definitely worth spending money on one. I started with the eflite Timber then went to umx version and a 2.1 meter Cessna 150 that I have been flying for almost 3 years
I just upgraded from the DX6e at the beginning of the year to the DX6 and I really enjoy the extra features.
WillYoung is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in