Do you fly aircraft and helicopter at the same time - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 05-23-2020, 06:41 PM   #21
tskca
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Ken L
Radio of choice:
JR XX

Total Props: 4
Re: Do you fly aircraft and helicopter at the same time

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The flying characteristics of these aircraft are so different.

And when you increase the throttle on a plane it goes forward; on a heli it goes up. In order for a heli to go forward you push the elevator forward.

So the pilot has to learn to fly two different machines.
tskca is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:51 PM   #22
Tigron
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Dmitry
Radio of choice:
JR PCM9X
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 3

It is not so difficult as many think. When you fly 3D you constantly have axis and direction changes. If you get used to it straight forward plane controls are so simple.
The only challenge with the plane I used to face was duration of flight. Most 3D electric helicopters fly around 3-4 minutes. So your brain learns maximum concentration for this time. Even if the helicopter is capable to fly more, normally you just land to get rest yourself. Planes flight time normally starts from 7 min. And though it is much easier to control, by the time you land you may be very tired of concentration.
Tigron is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-27-2020, 12:00 AM   #23
rami
RCC Apprentice

I am: Rami Alkishawi
Radio of choice:
spectrum DX7 g2
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigron View Post
It is not so difficult as many think. When you fly 3D you constantly have axis and direction changes. If you get used to it straight forward plane controls are so simple.
The only challenge with the plane I used to face was duration of flight. Most 3D electric helicopters fly around 3-4 minutes. So your brain learns maximum concentration for this time. Even if the helicopter is capable to fly more, normally you just land to get rest yourself. Planes flight time normally starts from 7 min. And though it is much easier to control, by the time you land you may be very tired of concentration.
That is exactly what i realize every time i try to practice 3D i almost use all my brain capacity i reduce the timer as much as possible to fly shorter time but more focusing on maneuvers
rami is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-27-2020, 01:35 AM   #24
FWSPT
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rami View Post
That is exactly what i realize every time i try to practice 3D i almost use all my brain capacity i reduce the timer as much as possible to fly shorter time but more focusing on maneuvers
Over the years i came to realize that i max out my brain capacity everytime i crash....lol
FWSPT is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:33 AM   #25
rome
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Romeo R
Radio of choice:
Futaba/Taranis
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 5

I know flyers, that can fly extreme 3D, but as soon as they fly regular circuits they are not comfortable. I don't have the skill set to even think of flying 3D, so I just fly sport, just like my planes. and I've been flying since 1986.
maac #38176
sport flyer
rome is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:03 AM   #26
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by rome View Post
I know flyers, that can fly extreme 3D, but as soon as they fly regular circuits they are not comfortable. I don't have the skill set to even think of flying 3D, so I just fly sport, just like my planes. and I've been flying since 1986.
You have said a mouthful, and I have to agree. I have seen 3D heli fliers that cant even fly a figure 8 in forward flight with the same heli. They just cant seem to control the heli smoothly. Slamming it around the sky? No problem. Moving it smoothly from point A to point B?... Almost impossible...LOL

For these kinds of people, learning to fly airplanes will help them learn to move the sticks gently and improve their hand/eye co-ordination.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:24 AM   #27
rome
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Romeo R
Radio of choice:
Futaba/Taranis
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 5

Hey Max, do you still remember we use to fly our helis with wooden blades ? with lead weights on the tip. we wrap and balance our own blades Yale was one of the main supplier, even the fly bar have weights on them, for stability.
maac #38176
sport flyer
rome is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:34 AM   #28
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 183

Quote:
Hey Max, do you still remember we use to fly our helis with wooden blades ? with lead weights on the tip. we wrap and balance our own blades Yale was one of the main supplier, even the fly bar have weights on them, for stability.
I sure do. They came as a kit with wood blades with a slot routed in them, a separate piece of lead rod, and some covering material. You had to assemble the blade yourself, getting just the right amount of lead weight and epoxy into each of the 2 blades, then painstakingly balancing the mass and CG to get it perfect before you put the covering on.... and then finding the covering threw out your weight and balance so now you had to use balancing tape...LOL Those were the good old days.

I sold off all my older helis except my concepts, which I liked the most. Andrew C has a thread on getting concepts flying again and I am feeling that same nostalgia. Maybe one day I will bring out some of my C-30's just for the fun of it.....

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:19 AM   #29
HAL9KPCM
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave Z
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 38
Quote:
I still have about 4 sets of X-Cell 60 blades like that.

My Heli: Futaba 18MZ 2x(JR GSR260Z Sports FBL, Zenoah G26H, Futaba CGY750 Gyro, Futaba BLS-351 cyclic, BLS-251 tail, Futaba BLS-451 Throttle. Gryphon voltage regulator).
HAL9KPCM is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in