Trex 550E V1 Questions - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Helis Discuss helicopters, setups and power systems for electric helicopters.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
JohnnyO83
RCC Apprentice

I am: John H

Total Props: 0
Trex 550E V1 Questions

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a new in box Trex 550E V1 at a good price. I intend to run it stock except for a Tracx FBL unit and an external BEC. i will also be using 6S 5000Mah 35C batteries. I have a couple questions:

The model comes with a 600M motor. How powerful is it? Will I easily be able to sport fly with it and do some basic 3d moves like elevator and aileron tic tocs without the heli losing altitude and without the motor bogging?

Second, the model comes with a 70A ESC, however in looking at the specs of the 600M, it says that the maximum continuous current is 80A. Should I be concerned? Given the power of this morot compared to a 600MX, I'm thinking that on throttle up, I will run a flat 100% throttle curve.

Third, if I want to eventually upgrade to a 600MX motor, will I need to upgrade my ESC? I noticed that in the V2 version, the same ESC is included with the 600MX motor.

Thanks guys,

John
JohnnyO83 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
Jimmy P
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: James Parnell
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 31

Total Props: 14
Re: Trex 550E V1 Questions

70 amp comes with the 500, 90 amp comes with the 550 model. Was the box a sealed unit? Are you sure maybe it's 70 continuous and 90 max???? They fly fine, yes it'll do those moves stock no problem.
Jimmy P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
JohnnyO83
RCC Apprentice

Here is a link to the manual. The heli came with all of the proper electronics:
http://www.heliproz.com/images/trex5...0e3gmanual.pdf

Old 11-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
dashpuppy
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jason L.
Radio of choice:
DS-16
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 22

You will be fine with that motor & esc. unless you are doing hard fast 3d like bert or other. Then you will be fine. Make sure you strap the esc to the side of the frame so it can stay cool and have good air flow.
dashpuppy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
Jimmy P
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: James Parnell
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 31

Total Props: 14

This your first heli John?
Jimmy P is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
JohnnyO83
RCC Apprentice

I have a blade MCPX and I have been using Realflight 6.5 to learn how to fly as well. I'm on the sim every day. Keith AKA Heli-Insane has also been teaching me on Realflight and is a great mentor. He's been awesome. I love the hobby, am truly addicted and the people are great. I'm excited for my first build. I'm just very detail oriented and want to make sure that I put this heli together properly to eliminate as many surprises as possible when it comes time to fly it.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
dashpuppy
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Jason L.
Radio of choice:
DS-16
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyO83 View Post
I have a blade MCPX and I have been using Realflight 6.5 to learn how to fly as well. I'm on the sim every day. Keith AKA Heli-Insane has also been teaching me on Realflight and is a great mentor. He's been awesome. I love the hobby, am truly addicted and the people are great. I'm excited for my first build. I'm just very detail oriented and want to make sure that I put this heli together properly to eliminate as many surprises as possible when it comes time to fly it.
Make sure Keith is around to help you go over it for your first maiden have him trim it out and have it setup properly too.

What radio do you have ?

JUST a fyi, a trex 550 is a HUGE difference between a MCPX JUST BE WARNED!!
dashpuppy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #8
Dennis Pedersen
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Dennis P
Radio of choice:
JR XG11 / Mikado V Control

Total Props: 12

The first several versions of the Trex 550 came with that ESC and they worked fine. The last two versions of the DFC 550 have come with the Castle Talon 90 ESC which has also been working fine. The external BEC is a very good idea with the 70 amp and if you would like a opinion on that I would say Western Robotics for a BEC, great Canadian built BECs.
Have fun with the 550 and listen to Keith
Dennis
Old 11-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #9
heli-insane
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Keith Z
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 20

I am definitely a little far from John seeing as he is in Toronto and I am in Sudbury!

I have told him to check out the local heli club and find a mentor. I guarantee he will be checking out the club in Toronto in the spring and looking for some one on one help!

Everyone in this hobby is definitely helpful and I am sure there are many great rc heli pilots in the Toronto area willing to direct John in the right direction!

I have been in his exact position before and without the help of my good friend Mike C none of what I can do now would be possible!

Also thought I would point out I am still learning and still get a lot of help from Mike with setups and making sure I have done my setups right! Always great to have a second set of eyes and help.

With a full winter of one on one simulator lessons ahead of John, he will be more then ready with some setup help to start his journey into this dam addiction!

LOL

Cheers Keith
Old 11-09-2013, 12:21 AM   #10
craneman32
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: StewartW
Radio of choice:
Dx7s
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by heli-insane View Post
I am definitely a little far from John seeing as he is in Toronto and I am in Sudbury!

I have told him to check out the local heli club and find a mentor. I guarantee he will be checking out the club in Toronto in the spring and looking for some one on one help!

Everyone in this hobby is definitely helpful and I am sure there are many great rc heli pilots in the Toronto area willing to direct John in the right direction!

I have been in his exact position before and without the help of my good friend Mike C none of what I can do now would be possible!

Also thought I would point out I am still learning and still get a lot of help from Mike with setups and making sure I have done my setups right! Always great to have a second set of eyes and help.

With a full winter of one on one simulator lessons ahead of John, he will be more then ready with some setup help to start his journey into this dam addiction!

LOL

Cheers Keith
I suggest Gizmodude and Heiko if they are available. mutter1 if he is close. I haven't checked your location so you pick.

Cheers!
Blade 130X
craneman32 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in