nateairman
RCC Apprentice

I am: Nathan U
Radio of choice:
14SG
# of RCs: 78

Total Props: 0
Maule power cut?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Long and short I recently picked up a used Maule and have been flying it in 50c 4s 2200 batteries. A weird thing is happening:

Fresh battery 2C ambient temp. Flaps set at 30 take off roll to vertical and full power. Sudden power loss and drop the nose glide in for a controlled landing. This has happened a twice now. I have attributed it to hi amperage draw and the esc cutting power to save itself. When checking the battery it is not hot nor is the esc. Flight testing continued with a moderate takeoff a circuit then full power vertical shenanigans again with out power loss.

I am not sure how to diagnose this? Amp meter? Watt Meter?

FYI I am not using the BNF reciever. I am using a futaba system. I could set up telemetry.....

I do have surface control just loose thrust....

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:04 AM   #2
ballast
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Mike W.

Total Props: 3
Re: Maule power cut?

My first go to tester would be a wattmeter. It will display your current draw at different throttle command and will display the amp draw you are at when this engine starts dropping RPM. The ESC could be your problem.
ballast is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:03 AM   #3
Pauld
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Paul D
Radio of choice:
Fubar S-bus2 -no lock outs :)
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 27

I had this problem with a similar set up. Turned out it was internal resistance built up in the batteries. They charged fine and tested fine cell voltage view but when you put them under higher current draw loads their voltage would tank. The batteries still work but are only good for low current draw....

PaulD

http://www.jetpilots.org/
MAAC Jet Committee
IF IT'S TOO LOUD - YOU'RE TOO OLD!
2L club executive member
Pauld is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-27-2020, 11:14 AM   #4
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 53

Could be high battery internal resistance causing an issue as I had that happen once. Not a lot of information to go on. Let’s try for more , like motor size , ESC make and model , prop size and if you can get the current draw with a wattmeter that might help , does it do this with just this battery or have you retried it with another battery ?
Thanks
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-27-2020, 02:19 PM   #5
cessna180
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: mike z
Radio of choice:
spectrum/futaba
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 4

I only fly electric and have made a point of trying to educate myself in all aspects of the power system, battery, esc, motor ,prop. Chasing an electrical problem could be a challenge.
I try not to run the system at max. I use a watt meter religiously and I regularly check the resistance when charging. Also I do not leave fully charged batteries for more than a day, then into storage mode they go. I have found that as the resistance increases the battery performance is degraded and flight times are less. Just try another battery. All the best.
Michael
cessna180 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-27-2020, 05:13 PM   #6
nateairman
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
14SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
Could be high battery internal resistance causing an issue as I had that happen once. Not a lot of information to go on. Let’s try for more , like motor size , ESC make and model , prop size and if you can get the current draw with a wattmeter that might help , does it do this with just this battery or have you retried it with another battery ?
Thanks
It is a stock BNF Maule. The battery is a new 4s2200 50c full charged with in the hour. I will fly again tomorrow and try to duplicate. I have a few 3s2200 50c as well but they have 10 more cycles than the 4s. I will also start a log book with more detail.

I just don't want it to become a preventable accident.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:28 PM   #7
rucoy
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Coy
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 1

Hi Nate,
2 degrees is "cold" to a lipo, new or old, if you haven't already done this try warming up the battery just before inserting it into the plane. I have an electric battery warming bag that I use during the colder fall and winter flying and it has made a big difference. The Maule doesn't like to fly with 3s very well
Hope that information is helpful.
rucoy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:20 PM   #8
nateairman
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
14SG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rucoy View Post
Hi Nate,
2 degrees is "cold" to a lipo, new or old, if you haven't already done this try warming up the battery just before inserting it into the plane. I have an electric battery warming bag that I use during the colder fall and winter flying and it has made a big difference. The Maule doesn't like to fly with 3s very well [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/images_rcc/smilies/dontknow.gif[/IMG]
Hope that information is helpful.
A good point. I believe that day the airplane was prepped and we flew rockets first, so the battery was probably cold. Usually they are kept inside my jacket until flying.
Old 12-27-2020, 09:02 PM   #9
Mytmerc83
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Ryan T
Radio of choice:
Graupner Mz-24
# of RCs: 17

Total Props: 5

I would test with a watt meter, for some reason I think the esc is shutting down in overheat mode, I had an esc do the same thing. Motor stopping with surface control is a sign of esc in over heat protection. 2⁰ is "cold" but I've flown in -20 winter after winter and have only noticed a shorting of flight times by at most 1 minute with a cold battery.
Mytmerc83 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-27-2020, 11:58 PM   #10
rucoy
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Coy
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 20+

Total Props: 1

From the info stated by the original post "When checking the battery it is not hot nor is the esc. Flight testing continued with a moderate takeoff a circuit then full power vertical shenanigans again with out power loss"
I think the esc has gone into LVC (low voltage cutoff) with the cold lipo and the initial punch on take off. With a cold battery, the IR is usually high and causes a drastic voltage sag to engage LVC, that is why there is no motor power but still has control to flying surfaces. This can also happen as mentioned in the last post when esc goes into thermal protection but given the the information posted it's unlikely that. I've experienced this exact issue when I first started flying in winter without "preheating" my batteries. Good luck and hope you sort this issue out, enjoy the flying
rucoy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in