General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 01-15-2022, 03:57 AM   #11
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101
Re: cleaning engines

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have been working on engines for over 3 1/2 decades and can stand by the pure glycol/crockpot method. However, I set no time limits and in some cases have left them sit for 2 days or more, occasionally checking their condition. There really is no rush. Long term soaking does no damage to rubber parts but do not expect gaskets to last, even if the parts are assembled.

You also want to rinse the parts and oil them again right after rinsing and drying since if any ferrous bits they can begin to corrode almost immediately.

There are three warnings to be aware of: Only do this outside since the fumes can be toxic and NEVER use that crockpot for food prep at all in the futures.

Also, these parts will be HOT! I fabbed up a basket to fit the inside and can lift the parts or assemblies out without direct touching.

Found my pot at a resale shop for under $10 and filtering the glycol back into the container means it can be reused so the investment is low and can last indefinitely.

Although those that use the ultrasonic cleaner may have great results cannot confirm. May actually try it one of these days.

The glycol I use is the regular pure for standard engines. The new long life/aluminum specific blends will have additives to promote their properties and that may affect the cleaning ability.

On the subject of changing the color of the alloy, most engines I have seen have a form of coating to prevent corrosion and if removed the environment may attack the case material. Aluminum alloys can corrode, but pure aluminum slows that process to nil.

Floyd, I did have an engine case end up with black spots, but in that one instance had decided to soak the bits in methanol, (paint thinner sold in any paint department). Unfortunately was in a hurry and poured it into a coffee container that had not been rinsed out well enough. There were grains remaining from I suspect under the lip that flushed into the methanol when the lid was installed and agitated.

ps. On the earlier subject of lubing the parts, I use a 50/50 mix of air tool oil and trans fluid, (ATF) something I came up with many decades ago for assembly lube and After Run Oil. Either would likely work fine, I just tried it and the results were great. Again, the initial cost may be a few dollars, but this lasts nearly forever.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:05 AM   #12
floyd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 87

Floyd, I did have an engine case end up with black spots, but in that one instance had decided to soak the bits in methanol, (paint thinner sold in any paint department).

I've never heard of methanol being used as a paint thinner. Methanol is used to clean wood projects. The only thinners I know of are water for water based paint and Varsol or solvent for oil based paints. I do most of my engines by hand and have for as long as I can remember. I've never seen any issues cleaning with methanol.

My new after run recipe is a third red tranny fluid, a third Marval mystery oil and a third air tool oil. My own engines that I've done bearing jobs on years ago are all still perfect with no play and smooth bearings. Cheers Floyd

Last edited by floyd; 01-15-2022 at 09:15 AM.
floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:02 PM   #13
kamlooper
RCC Contributor

I am: bernie c
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 0

I heard of another method by a reputable modeler out this way, and that is to soak in kerosene. But ive never tried it.
kamlooper is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-30-2022, 02:52 AM   #14
thatguy
Level 1 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: sean b
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1
Scotch pad,break clean,oil and elbow grease worked good for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CC318BFC-D011-4168-A523-C9CD28F73D6B_1643532694031.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	963.1 KB
ID:	1758497  
thatguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:20 AM   #15
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

Years ago I used a cleaner for decarbonizing and cleaning VW air cooled aluminum cylinder heads and it worked very well . In fact so well that one time I had left a screwdriver in the screened pail that cane out with the handle dissolved over 12 hours . Don’t remember the name of it but you had to have a layer of water float on the top to keep from evaporating . Was safe on any metal. Quite expensive when buying a 5 gallon pail .
This may have been it :https://www.kleenflo.com/products/651-652-653.html
Currently pretty toxic stuff though :https://www.kleenflo.com/msds/651_652_653-1.pdf

Last edited by stegl; 01-30-2022 at 11:30 AM.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in