Rumbuilder profile B-17s, possible Canadair CP-107 Argus Role Maritime patrol aircraf - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 10-03-2020, 07:16 PM   #11
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232
Re: Rumbuilder profile B-17s, possible Canadair CP-107 Argus Role Maritime patrol air

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbuilder View Post
Hello everyone, figured I'd chime in and answer some of y'alls questions. The motors I was using where inexpensive hobbyking motors. A few of the guy's that have my b-17's have gone with 4 quad copter motors, and are having great luck. When I'm at home and not on a work computer I can give you more detailed answers about the specs. I'm not selling kits anymore, but am working toward releasing some form of a free plan so anyone can build these.

As far as the plane you want to build, I ran into issues when designing the B-29 in the flitetest video. I originally wanted it to be the same size as the b-17 but it was incredibly unstable. I stepped it up to 100" and it worked great. I feel bigger is always better. lol

Anyway, as I said, I will post some pictures and specs on my designs later when I get home. Any other questions, just ask.
Hey! Great to hear from the man himself!
Thanks for taking the time to join our forums and catch us up on your B-17. I would love to try building one. I am looking forward to seeing some sort of plans, when you have the time of course!
Thanks, and looking forward to hearing of any new developments when they happen.

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:56 AM   #12
Rumbuilder
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Re: Rumbuilder profile B-17s, possible Canadair CP-107 Argus Role Maritime patrol air

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdad View Post
Nice shirt <fail nobra!!>

(Not That) Bill
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Rumbuilder is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:01 PM   #13
DarthAnal
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Bru D
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 7

Found a drawing that has the parts outlines. Sad to say, it's not to scale and the parts are not perfect nor are they correctly sized, so I'll have to trace the parts and make sure that the gaps all align. Foam sheet is extruded polystyrene and is one-half in thickness. Going to have to check the Rona shop in Newmarket (north of Green Lane and Yonge) for the one-inch by 2 feet by 8 feet.

Have found a good reproduction shop but the image blown up to proper scale comes out more than 36 inches in width and his default toll setting is 20 inches and I can part things out from the original drawing to fit. Just have to get over one day before he closes and give him the enlargement factor to use.

Got lots of other projects to work on over the winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	editor_images_1543935212270-Screenshot+2018-12-04+at+14.38.45.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	1693553  
DarthAnal is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 10-08-2020, 09:55 AM   #14
Rumbuilder
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthAnal View Post
Found a drawing that has the parts outlines. Sad to say, it's not to scale and the parts are not perfect nor are they correctly sized, so I'll have to trace the parts and make sure that the gaps all align. Foam sheet is extruded polystyrene and is one-half in thickness. Going to have to check the Rona shop in Newmarket (north of Green Lane and Yonge) for the one-inch by 2 feet by 8 feet.

Have found a good reproduction shop but the image blown up to proper scale comes out more than 36 inches in width and his default toll setting is 20 inches and I can part things out from the original drawing to fit. Just have to get over one day before he closes and give him the enlargement factor to use.

Got lots of other projects to work on over the winter.

if I remember tonight I'll find you the full resolution picture of that on my pc. Also a thing to remember is the b-17's I sold where designed to fit in a box. That's why they are puzzled together like that. If you are making one for yourself you don't have to make it the way I did. The way I originally made these was printing out a 3 view of a b17 on an transparency for an overhead projector and projecting it onto a foam board. Then tracing it on the foam and cutting it out. If you can get your hands on a projector you can build them in any size imaginable.
Rumbuilder is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:14 AM   #15
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumbuilder View Post
The way I originally made these was printing out a 3 view of a b17 on an transparency for an overhead projector and projecting it onto a foam board. Then tracing it on the foam and cutting it out. If you can get your hands on a projector you can build them in any size imaginable.
HA HA.. That is genius. I never thought of that before!

Still, if you manage to find the original file you have, that would be great

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:43 PM   #16
DarthAnal
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

I agree with Max. I don't have access to an overhead projector but think that we can try seeing what the enlargement factor is if needed.

If you can't find the original drawings, don't worry. I've got the drawing sliced to fit my local digital copy center's current paper roll width and can take it from there with retracing and cutting bristol board and trimming the holes and edges.

Just thought of an alternate to the overhead projector -- the projector for PCs and TVs
https://www.amazon.ca/b/ref=dp_bc_au...ode=9229508011
Old 10-16-2020, 08:31 PM   #17
DarthAnal
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Well, I'm going to be heading to the Digital Copy Center down the road (new or rather the old COVID restrictions permitting) to see if I can get them printed at approximately full size. An enlargement of the original drawing by 6.518 (652%) will get the sections to fit unto the paper roll size that he uses as his default. Having the larger roll installed will incur a charge for the paper swap.

Small shop dealing in a fairly small amount of business. Do have other shops that I could go to that would have been able to handle 36-inch paper widths but this is within walking distance (about 6000 steps round trip or five minutes' drive.)

Will update sometime over the weekend with the results.
Old 12-20-2020, 08:01 PM   #18
DarthAnal
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Quick update: MS Pain can only handle 500% enlargements so I'll have to do it in two steps.

Necessary calculation is of the second step, 652 = 500*x, which works out as 652 / 500 = X.

This give me X (the second enlargement) as 130.

Best effort is to do the wingspan view then have the printer run the image. Of course, with the impending lockdown, may not be able to get it done until the new year, probably late January or even early February.
Old 12-24-2020, 06:46 PM   #19
DarthAnal
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Well, I sent one of the wing image files to Digital Copy Center, and they had the print-off ready for me to pick up. Measured the two parts that make up the wing half and doubled it.

At the same time, I got a quick note from Rumbuilder saying that he had something for me and he needed my e-mail address. What I got was the PDF of the build instructions. Thanks, Rumbuilder!

Turned out to come out to 73.5 inches for the wingspan, and a quick perusal of videos and the instructions showed that design is for 71 inches. Back to the calculator and I get an enlargement fact of 96% on what I'd sent to DCC yesterday.
Old 12-31-2020, 04:20 PM   #20
DarthAnal
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Good news! I've been able to resize the images so that they come out approximately the 71 inches wingspan, and thanks to Rumbuilder for sending mer a copy of the instruction manual.

Next stop on the journey is finding 3/4-inch extruded polystyrene locally so that I can start on building this I have been able to clean out or up my basement workshop so that I have space to build.

Anyone have an idea where I can get this? I recall that John Dutkowski had mentioned we shops at his local Rona but can't remember if this is the 3/4-inch or half-inch foam sheets that he picks up. Probably buried in one of his Avro Arrow threads somewhere.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in