Cashing in on Rare kits...? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 09-28-2020, 12:53 PM   #1
eRaptor66
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Cashing in on Rare kits...?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Does anybody else agree with this Ad or is it just me...? I have one with the original sticker price of $139.99. I paid $50 from another fellow flyer NIB. Hes asking $250 with servos. I don't see this as fair at all.

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/sho...ight=SPAD+XIII
eRaptor66 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:10 PM   #2
HAL9KPCM
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave Z
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 41
Value is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. If someone puts a high price on something, and another person is willing to pay the price to have it, how is it unfair? If the seller doesn't want to move on a high price, that's their business to sit on it for however long it takes to sell, or eventually drop their price to make a sale.

My Heli: Futaba 18MZ 2x(JR GSR260Z Sports FBL, Zenoah G26H, Futaba CGY750 Gyro, Futaba BLS-351 cyclic, BLS-251 tail, Futaba BLS-451 Throttle. Gryphon voltage regulator).
HAL9KPCM is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:37 PM   #3
AJCoholic
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X

Total Props: 34
Re: Cashing in on Rare kits...?

I don’t think chocolate bars are priced fairly. I mean, they should be the same as what I paid 30 years ago. Or at least what I think they should sell for. Right??

And don’t get me started on the price of chips...

I’ve made a lot of money selling some things, and I’ve lost a ton of money selling others.

It’s worth what someone will pay. The original selling price or the price you paid two weeks ago is not relevant.

I’ve been trying to sell $14K of camera gear for a year... I can’t even get a quarter of it.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 09-28-2020, 01:45 PM   #4
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 22

It's a good question. If we know someone is getting ripped off do we have a duty let the purchaser know?

Scammers are often are trying to take advantage of the innocent, gullible and uninformed. What is our responsibility and I wonder what RCC's responsibility is? RCC is providing a means for Scammers to exist. Can RCC be held accountability?
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:55 PM   #5
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 50

That's why we try to have rules for selling stuff here. Also, I try personally to post as many pics of the actual items rather than just ones from the manufacturers ads, (or add more if requested), along with a description of good and bad factors such as damage or just wear and tear. That way you have some idea of what you are getting.

It is true that something is only worth what another will pay for it, but there is pride. Used to hate when supremely lowballed at swap meets, especially when item was brand new.

If you want overpriced, just go to Timmies for a cup of coffee. IMO, Starbucks is even worse.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:57 PM   #6
HAL9KPCM
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave Z
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sebastien View Post
It's a good question. If we know someone is getting ripped off do we have a duty let the purchaser know?

Scammers are often are trying to take advantage of the innocent, gullible and uninformed. What is our responsibility and I wonder what RCC's responsibility is? RCC is providing a means for Scammers to exist. Can RCC be held accountability?
Scammers may be an entirely different discussion. If there is some valid information that the person is a scammer, someone should say something. But does capitalizing on a hard to find item make a person a scammer? Purchasing through online means, sight unseen, little info about the seller, buyer beware of couse.

But let's set all of that aside, make it an in person sale, is it really unfair for the seller to be maximizing his dollars when selling their item? Is it unfair for a buyer to want to minimize their expense? You either come to an agreement, or you don't and walk away.

My Heli: Futaba 18MZ 2x(JR GSR260Z Sports FBL, Zenoah G26H, Futaba CGY750 Gyro, Futaba BLS-351 cyclic, BLS-251 tail, Futaba BLS-451 Throttle. Gryphon voltage regulator).
HAL9KPCM is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:17 PM   #7
Michael Irwin
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Michael Irwin
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 101

Total Props: 2

I think it’s very unreasonable to label the seller as a scammer. He’s selling exactly what he claims for the price he thinks is fair. Model airplanes are hardly essential items that we need to worry about guys being gouged over. If you don’t think it’s worth that much, don’t buy it. Looks like he’s closed the listing, but as he’s got 42 bids on eBay with a current price of 230, I’d say his valuation on the kit isn’t that far off!
Michael Irwin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:18 PM   #8
pappy
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Steve S
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 16

Total Props: 12

Hi. I'm not sure where you're from(since you have posted 0 information about yourself), but supply and demand determine the value of any item sold in our marketplace. It doesn't matter that a potential buyer finds the price somewhat high, or outrageously high. In this forum we have the option to negotiate for what we perceive to be a fair price, or walk away. In 1 instance, I complained about sellers on E-BAY advertising kits for many times the Original purchase price. Understandably, they're still for sale.
I notice you were the last person to post on the thread that you have brought to our attention. Did you purchase the SPAD and now want to call out the seller because you feel you over paid? An item is worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay. Period. Making your point a general comment about overpriced discontinued items rather than calling out a specific individual, would have been far more appropriate. I understand your position, but I dislike the way it was presented. - Steve
TOP FLITE GS CORSAIR/ DA 50
ADRIEN PAGE 1/4 GEE BEE R2 / DLE 40T
GOLDBERG ULTIMATE/ Saito FG 21
SIG 1/4 PIPER CUB/ SAITO FG 30B
ZIROLI 1/4 DR1 / Zenoah G38
MAAC 35960
pappy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:43 PM   #9
Mike Sebastien
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Mike s

Total Props: 22

I always thought “buyer beware” was a cop out. Sometimes people need help and that’s why consumer protection agency’s were created and I think we should do more.

Who protects the kids or old guy that come on here looking for stuff so he can started in our hobby. He knows nothing of the value of a item or what is crap.

I got screwed here on RCC recently and I take responsibility for that as I should of know better.

See something, say something.
Mike Sebastien is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:53 PM   #10
pappy
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Steve S
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 16

Total Props: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sebastien View Post

I'm baffled how you can compare this situation to being scammed and infer that it is somehow RCC's fault that they allow it to happen and wonder if they are possibly accountable. Reads more like a personal agenda. The thread has nothing to do with being scammed. The OP was neither gullible or uninformed.
Maybe the seller is trying to make a couple bucks. Maybe he paid his asking price. Neither make him a scammer.
TOP FLITE GS CORSAIR/ DA 50
ADRIEN PAGE 1/4 GEE BEE R2 / DLE 40T
GOLDBERG ULTIMATE/ Saito FG 21
SIG 1/4 PIPER CUB/ SAITO FG 30B
ZIROLI 1/4 DR1 / Zenoah G38
MAAC 35960
pappy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in