Servo Choice For Glider - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Sailplanes / Electro-gliders Discuss quiet flight in Canada.

Old 01-17-2021, 11:00 AM   #11
4stripes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Flyboy 1

Total Props: 14
Re: Servo Choice For Glider

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Gliders aren’t fussy about what you use unless there is a space issue. I would just use what is on hand. Big small, the weight difference won’t affect performance. HS81 servos are fine, but much cheaper servos would also do the job. You don’t need all that torque but it never hurts to have too much. I have recently used some “recycled” FMS servos from “retired” EDF jets and was impressed with their strength and resolution. Not as impressed with Spectrum servos of similar size.
Talk to your other flying buddies and see if they have some crashed planes with donor servos. As long as they work smoothly under a bit of load, and the wires aren’t damaged, you will be in business.

Last edited by 4stripes; 01-17-2021 at 11:13 AM.
4stripes is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:03 PM   #12
NEW222
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Chancey C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 11

Sorry I forgot to update this thread earlier. Servos are installed. I did end up going with a Hitec HS425-BB for the spoilers, and I did use a pair of FP-S148 servos for the rudder and elevator. After all this and some more reading online, they may be overkill, but they do match the size and weight of what was previously installed. Also to note, there was some foam up front with a bunch of lead balls in it, so I would assume if I did go with smaller servos, I would just need extra weight up front anyways. But, what do I know. Just a guess. I have not yet balanced it yet, but it is winter anyways....
NEW222 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-17-2021, 03:45 PM   #13
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW222 View Post
Hi there Scaleguy. Here are a couple pictures as promised earlier. I did not think there was a model number on these, but apparently I was wrong. They did look like old Kraft servos when I first saw them, but the gentleman that I got it from said they were Heathkit. However, I may be wrong, as I sometimes am....
Yes these are the older Kraft Kps14 servos made by Kraft for Heathkit but the white case was used to differentiate from the Kraft product and to match the white transmitter and receivers. If I remember correctly the torque was around 29.1 in.oz. Information is readily available by googling .
As mentioned by Gary the newer servos out usually produce more power in a smaller lighter package .

Last edited by stegl; 01-17-2021 at 04:16 PM.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:49 AM   #14
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 72

That is a thermal glider and I am assuming you are not going to add a motor. The lighter you can keep it the happier you will be with it's performance in thermal hunting. On a weak thermal day a few ounces of all up weight can make the difference between going home early with a pout or going home late with a poop eating grin!
Old 01-22-2021, 02:48 PM   #15
Rcm Dubai
RCC Apprentice

I am: Hashim Al Salih
Radio of choice:
spectrum DX 18
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 0

I am using Tower Pro sg99 in my glider and they are very good
Rcm Dubai is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in