MAAC constitution changes - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 07-18-2020, 11:38 AM   #1
BillyBishop
RCC Noob

I am: BillyBishop
Radio of choice:
None

Total Props: 0
MAAC constitution changes

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
This was sent to me today , and I'm not in favour of this change that the board wants to make.
Dear Friends, As you know , there is a plan to change the Constitution of MAAC which may give an opportunity to the current President and Executives to cancel our affiliation with the Aero Club of Canada and the FAI. This would result in our inability to participate in World Championships and International competitions. Please find here below the online petition link which i ask you to complete and submit. It is very important that you participate in this petition!

https://forms.gle/D9JronTtUXszDNCV8
BillyBishop is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-18-2020, 12:11 PM   #2
BillyBishop
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
None

Re: MAAC constitution changes

Here is a pdf file outlining in some depth why this Constitutional change is a "Crossroads" matter that should be of great concern to all MAAC members.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MAAC at a Crossroads.pdf (233.3 KB, 129 views)
Old 07-18-2020, 07:57 PM   #3
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
DX18Stealth
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 12

This will “potentially” affect very few and I would support the change.

Old 07-18-2020, 08:34 PM   #4
Mr Toad
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 1

I hope that all readers take this matter very seriously. Nearly twenty years ago, a small group within MAAC tried to eliminate our association with FAI and thus international competition, claiming it was too expensive. Their attempts to do this were soundly defeated.
Now, those same people have tried a more subtle and insidious approach. They are trying to remove our binding to ACC and FAI from the constitution, where it has been entrenched since the founding of MAAC, moving it to the policy manual. They claim is that this is a "housekeeping" matter in order to make MAAC more "nimble. That is total balderdash! Read the fine print in the changes. The end goal is obvious. Get rid of FAI as soon afterwards as possible, turn MAAC into a RC sport flyers association, and the hell with all minority interests. MAAC has always supported all categories, sport and competitive and all minority interests. That needs to continue.
Right now, changing our FAI status in the constitution requires a 2/3 majority at any AGM. It is highly unlikely that this could be achieved. So - a two step process: Whilst claiming that it would change nothing, the truth is that if this matter became policy, rather than constitution, getting it eliminated could be done very easily and subtly with a 50% majority composed largely of open proxies, and not required to be on the floor of an AGM.
Admittedly, when MAAC was formed, we all built our own models. Ready-to-Fly models were not there, and the percentage of modellers who were competitors was much higher. Today, RC sport flying is dominant, but that is no justification for killing competition. It must be realized that, if our FAI connection is eliminated, NO CANADIAN COULD COMPETE IN ANY WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP IN ANY CATEGORY. Let that sink in!
None of the FAI competitors has ever questioned the things that MAAC spends money on for which they themselves get no benefit.
Canada and Canadians have a lengthy and proud record of success at world Championships. Competition is what has driven the improvements in our hobby, from composite materials to computer radios. Striving to win breeds better equipment.
The average Canadian who golfs will never play at the MASTERS. Skill in any sport forms a pyramid with the few at the top setting the standards for the rest of us.
For myself, I have never achieved the skill level required to compete at the top level, but I have enormous respect for those that do. These competitors largely pay their own way. Support from MAAC has been only a small part of their costs.
Overall, FAI affiliation and international competition costs each MAAC member less than the price of a hot dog annually. For that small amount are we going to ground the best MAAC flyers, and make Canada a laughing stock internationally? I certainly hope and pray that this is never allowed to happen.
Make your voices heard - PLEASE.

Last edited by Mr Toad; 07-18-2020 at 08:43 PM.
Mr Toad is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:39 PM   #5
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 21

There may be an underlying reason BUT typically such things are now being moved into policy so that any necessary changes can be made more easily. It might be the FAI portion changes and the Aero Club is not needed. Thus would allow the 'nimbleness' referenced.
I believe the change is inline with other changes that have been made.

joined july 2020? no use for rccanada before this?

mrtoad and billybishop ???one person????
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:36 PM   #6
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
DX18Stealth
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post

Xactly...
Old 07-19-2020, 05:17 AM   #7
BillyBishop
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
None

This will affect hundreds directly - and most of the membership in the long term. Read the pdf file provided. Even if it was just a few - the very reason for having an Association at all is to provide support to each other. The 'few' support what the 'many' do, it is simple fairness for the 'many' to at least agree not to harm the 'few'.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:34 AM   #8
BillyBishop
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post
There may be an underlying reason BUT typically such things are now being moved into policy so that any necessary changes can be made more easily. It might be the FAI portion changes and the Aero Club is not needed. Thus would allow the 'nimbleness' referenced.
I believe the change is inline with other changes that have been made.

This is faulty reasoning. Changes that harm members of an association SHOULD be very difficult to make, not easy, or out of sight of the membership, which is what this change would allow.
Inline with what other changes? Examples please.
If a person hasn't been a member of, or even heard of, RC Canada before - their opinion doesn't matter?
I can assure you that BillyBishop and MrToad are not the same person, not that it should be relevant. Perhaps Terry Garvin and X*60 are the same person!
Old 07-19-2020, 06:44 AM   #9
Mr Toad
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 1

No - I am not the same person as Billy Bishop. He is smarter and better looking!
He has hit the nail on the head. it is as incumbent on a majority, who are quietly supported by a minority, to do nothing to hurt that minority.
I ask once again - "Do you want to ensure that no Canadian can ever again compete internationally?." Support of this proposed constitutional change will almost certainly do that.
The current constitution has worked since 1948. There is no valid reason for changing that aspect of it.
Mr Toad is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:07 AM   #10
itizme
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Steve W.
Radio of choice:
18MZ T8J DX5R DX8

Total Props: 22

Didnt we have this email and petition months ago?
itizme is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Tags
members , maac , important

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in