Old 06-05-2020, 04:01 PM   #1
Silver Dart
RCC Apprentice

I am: Paul E
Radio of choice:
Adjustable Hardpoint

Total Props: 0
Shipping Done Right

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Shipping costs can be a thorny issue. I got blown away today and just wanted to give a shout out to a company that demonstrates how to do it right. Digi-key. Not entirely RC related (although I did order some servo connectors and crimp pins along with some other electronic parts).

Order placed online on their $CDN site at 2:20pm yesterday afternoon. I was charged HST. Choice of only one shipping method at checkout - Fedex International Priority. Inco terms: DDP, duty and taxes paid by Digi-key.

7:40pm got an email saying order has shipped.

11:00am this morning doorbell rings and package on doorstep.

This small package shipped from Minnesota, all for a total shipping charge of $8. If I had spent $100 it would have been free. I wish all online vendors could figure out how to do it even remotely like that.

I know Digital-key is HUGE. They can ship up to 20,000 orders a day. With clout like that they tell the courier company’s how it’s done. This is just an example of what is possible these days.

Paul

Terrain, Terrain...Pull Up, Pull Up...Whoop, Whoop...Oh, Sh-
Silver Dart is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:31 AM   #2
Arceenut
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Roy H
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 46
Re: Shipping Done Right

Another company that has figured it out is Amazon. If they have it in stock, delivery is two days, often the next day. If you pay for their prime membership, shipping is mostly free. This does no apply to sellers that sell using Amazon for their outlet. They can sometimes be horrible. I hate to say this but the brick and mortar stores are going to face some VERY stiff competition as more and more retailers go online selling. Unfortunately I am afraid some businesses will not be able to continue. The corvid issue has also pushed internet shopping even further to the forefront.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:42 AM   #3
HAL9KPCM
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave Z
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arceenut View Post
Another company that has figured it out is Amazon. If they have it in stock, delivery is two days, often the next day. If you pay for their prime membership, shipping is mostly free. This does no apply to sellers that sell using Amazon for their outlet. They can sometimes be horrible. I hate to say this but the brick and mortar stores are going to face some VERY stiff competition as more and more retailers go online selling. Unfortunately I am afraid some businesses will not be able to continue. The corvid issue has also pushed internet shopping even further to the forefront.
Amazon has also figured out how to gouge people during a pandemic. I needed a keyboard/mouse switch so when I set up my work computer at home, I could use the same keyboard and mouse as my home computer. There was no option for prime shipping, and had to pay $6 to ship. No reason why it couldn't have been prime as it shipped from my home city. A week later, it was having issues and I had to contact Amazon for a warranty replacement. Easy enough process, but then it said it wasn't going to ship for a month.... well, unless I wanted to pay $6 for shipping for it to ship in two weeks, or $13 for next day shipping. I did some bitching and they sent it to me next day shipping (again from my home city) and I had it next day.

Old 06-06-2020, 06:00 AM   #4
Propworn
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis P
Radio of choice:
hitec
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 264

I find there is a big difference between Amazon.ca and Amazon.com in shipping times, shipping costs and prices of the items. Amazon.com shipped to a US address beats Amazon.ca hands down.

Dennis
Propworn is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:00 AM   #5
Arceenut
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Roy H
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL9KPCM View Post
Amazon has also figured out how to gouge people during a pandemic. I needed a keyboard/mouse switch so when I set up my work computer at home, I could use the same keyboard and mouse as my home computer. There was no option for prime shipping, and had to pay $6 to ship. No reason why it couldn't have been prime as it shipped from my home city. A week later, it was having issues and I had to contact Amazon for a warranty replacement. Easy enough process, but then it said it wasn't going to ship for a month.... well, unless I wanted to pay $6 for shipping for it to ship in two weeks, or $13 for next day shipping. I did some bitching and they sent it to me next day shipping (again from my home city) and I had it next day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyace View Post
I find there is a big difference between Amazon.ca and Amazon.com in shipping times, shipping costs and prices of the items. Amazon.com shipped to a US address beats Amazon.ca hands down.

Dennis
Like I said shipping of stuff from Amazon warehouse is never a problem. If the item is THROUGH Amazon by a secondary dealer, there can be problems.

I deal mostly with Amazon.ca and have found them excellent. Bought a keyboard/mouse combo, arrived second day. Mouse didn't work - asked for a replacement, Arrived next day with a return, prepaid shipping sticker.

Bought an item from Amazon.com. Shipping was quoted as 14 days. Never did arrive. Tracking showed order received but nothing further. Refunded after having to bitch and complain. Problem could have been USPS and corvid.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:20 AM   #6
JDKING1974
RCC Apprentice

I am: Jeremy K
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 6

I have found when ordering from Amazon.ca, the best thing to do is check the PRIME box. That way everything that comes up will ship free (if you're a Prime member of course).

I know sometimes you just can't get it with Prime tho, but search the Prime items first and then if needed go to everyone else.
JDKING1974 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:25 AM   #7
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 101

I have sourced from Digikey and Electrosonic in the past and both are excellent, The biggest problem is finding exactly what you need. Literally, they have so many options for pretty much anything it can be a bit of a chore finding the right bits.

As for Amazon; yes, you need to ensure anything you locate in Google or other searches will lead you to the .ca area or allow them to change your location this side of the border.

What strikes me as strange is a part or item less than $10 on .com can jump to multiples as much up here. Here is one example:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...K6Y9EEQB&psc=1

They do make up for it in other ways. I have been waiting for the bio on Austin Airways since early April, the only tracking I could find shows it stuck in Canada Customs, (item approx $20 and not hazardous goods so cannot figure that out). Gave me a refund and said if it does show up keep it or donate to library.

I have a Prime membership for $10/month. This has paid for itself many times over just in books alone. I am a voracious reader and can go through on in less than 2 days when on a roll so paying even $3-7 each could cost much more.

Forgot to mention saw something on the news yesterday of Fedex warehouses having items unshipped in months. Since my book went with them to the border wonder if that is where it's at rather than at customs.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:37 AM   #8
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arceenut View Post
I’m a prime member.... right now, I have waited weeks for deliveries. I understand things are busy and backed up, and i am not complaining. Just depends where it is sent from and where you live.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:40 AM   #9
AJCoholic
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Andrew Coholic
Radio of choice:
JR 12X, 28X

Total Props: 61

I have ordered many times from Great Hobbies during the past 3 months. After figuring out the postal system is backed up - I have been paying a bit extra for FedEx ground delivery. They ship from Toronto and if I order one day, early enough, it usually gets packed and shipped that day. I have gotten all my orders the following day. 5 or 6 orders.

I think thats pretty awesome. I always order on line. Get a conformation immediately. Then shortly after another email telling me its being processed and a third when its shipped with tracking.

I think they are extremely good to deal with, and have been for years.
Andrew Coholic -MAAC #26287L

1/2A to giant scale, IMAC, SAM, R/C sport, turbine jets, Heli's...
if its got a wing or two and an engine - I like it!
AJCoholic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-06-2020, 10:11 AM   #10
4stroker
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Derek
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 24

There are a lot of shipping delays right now.
I purchased an engine from the US a month ago and the USPS tracking has not been updated for 9 days from the time it was processed in Chicago.
Normally I get packages from the US within 2 weeks.
Hopefully I will get and update soon saying it has arrived in Canada at least.
4stroker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in