Fiberglass sheet in canada??? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 09-23-2020, 05:52 PM   #1
challengerII
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: keithv
Radio of choice:
working
# of RCs: 1.5

Total Props: 1
Fiberglass sheet in canada???

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi all Any one in canada have fiberglass sheeting like Fliteskin sells .010 for wings and fuse and .007 for tail feathers Thank you
challengerII is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:57 AM   #2
Amanks7477
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Andy
Radio of choice:
Spectrum 6e
# of RCs: 15

Re: Fiberglass sheet in canada???

Would you not just build the wing / tail then cover with a very light fiberglass cloth and epoxy? That is what I do, never seen sheets of think fiberglass. You could try Composites Canada - they are a Fiberglass / Carbon Fiber store that has pretty much anything in that area you would need. If they don't have it, they would know where to get it.
Amanks7477 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:16 AM   #3
proptup
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Clive S
Radio of choice:
Airtronics & Spectrum NX8
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0

Hi,
Another way is to apply 1oz. cloth with very little resin and then use an old credit card and scrape off as much of the resin as possible. The result is a smooth lite fiberglassed surface.
Cheers
Proptup
proptup is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-18-2020, 11:22 AM   #4
Dennis Pedersen
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Dennis P
Radio of choice:
NX10SE / Mikado V-Control
# of RCs: Few

Total Props: 51

The difference is this is used as the sheeting and finish over a built up wing. You have to have a skin to fiberglass over but this eliminates the skin.

FliteskinTM is a fiberglass sheet with a built in smooth finish. It has become the standard for airplane covering whenever a realistic, scale finishing is needed.

It combines sheeting, glassing and finishing in 1 product, saving countless weeks of sanding and priming work.

It is the closest representation of the real sheet metal finish of the full size aircraft without the extra weight.
http://www.fliteskin.com/Sheeting.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fliteskin.PNG
Views:	102
Size:	904.1 KB
ID:	1705877  

Last edited by Dennis Pedersen; 12-18-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Dennis Pedersen is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-18-2020, 11:40 AM   #5
proptup
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Clive S
Radio of choice:
Airtronics & Spectrum NX8
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0

Thunderbolt RC has 1/32 sheets but that is thicker than you are looking for.
Cheers,
Proptup
proptup is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:05 PM   #6
MJD
RCC Contributor

I am: Mike D

Total Props: 14

I think you are talking about G-10 glass/epoxy laminate, or the fire-retardant version FR4 otherwise the same. I got mine stateside so far, but here is a source:

https://www.grtgenesis.com/material-.../nema-g10-fr4/

This stuff is typically made in a vacuum laminating press. Make sure you lightly abrade the whole glossy surface to remove any traces of release agents as solvents won't do squat. When I ever had to bond this stuff in commercial applications I would sand blast the bonding surfaces to a smooth matte finish at which point epoxies or other adhesive systems (or paints) will bond aggressively to it.

Mine came from here: https://www.mcmaster.com/grade-g-10%...eets-and-bars/
Old 12-18-2020, 12:08 PM   #7
MJD
RCC Contributor

I am: Mike D

Total Props: 14

These two searches will likely give you some more hits:

g10 sheet canada
fr4 sheet canada

(edit - if this is what you are looking for..)
Old 12-18-2020, 12:23 PM   #8
grizak
Authorized Vendor
★ Vendor ★

I am: Jeff K

Total Props: 10

Thunderboltrc.com - will have fiberglass G10 sheets (0.008" thick and 0.01" thick) sheets coming very soon - we have been working for months to secure a good supplier for these items.

These may arrive as early as next week (but most likely after the holidays due to all the shipping delays).

Email us at info@thunderboltrc.com if you are interested.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:46 PM   #9
Dutkoski
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: John Dutkoski
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 11

You can easily make it yourself, I do it whenever I need sheet fibreglass. You can use a piece of glass as your “mould” or a piece of shelving. I just wax it with release wax, spray on PVA release film. If you are using it over balsa or plywood ribs, I would use epoxy resin instead of polyester resin. It will bond better to the wood if using epoxy as a glue. The key thing to remember is to use 2.3 oz cloth as your first layer and then use 4 oz or 6 oz cloth asyiur second layer, depending on the thickness and flexibility you are looking for. If you use just a single layer, you will get pin holes and a weaker product. You could use a final layer of 2.3 oz cloth if you want a smoother interior finish.

Example: mark out your wing shape on bristol cardboard, add 1” to all edges. Cut the fibreglass cloth to shape. Cut a piece of white melamine coated particle board to shape, again, add a couple of inches all around. Use a small 1” diameter paint roller to spread the resin evenly if you don’t want to invest in resin rollers. Use common ladies hair spray to size the cloth so it’ll hold its shape while cutting. This way, you will get a fully sheeted wing panel.
Once you remove the fiberglass sheet, you will need to wash it in warm soapy water to remove the PVA release agent, clean it in your shower is the easiest way if you have a big sheet. After the resin is fully cured, the side that will be bonded to the ribs will need to be sanded lightly. Use a block sander, 150 grit paper would do nicely as you just want to scuff up the surface.

Last edited by Dutkoski; 01-03-2021 at 04:54 PM.
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:58 PM   #10
challengerII
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: keithv
Radio of choice:
working
# of RCs: 1.5

Thank you Gentleman for the response.I have ordered and used Fliteskin in the past and like it.Just would be nice to have a source in canada. Project I was going to use it on is now on the back burner as I dont know what the heck happened but now have 3 Byron kits to build.Pushing 60 and hope to get back on it (SOON ?)LOL Keith
challengerII is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in