First 700 driveline question. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Old 12-08-2018, 02:29 PM   #1
jgrunert
RCC Apprentice

I am: Jesse G

Total Props: 0
First 700 driveline question.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hello Folks,

I'm looking for a little help here with my first 700 heli. I got myself an older Goblin 700, I think it's first generation. This is my first belt driven heli, all the other heli's I've owned have been gear driven, so I have some questions about belt tension.

I am running a Quantum 4530-500 motor and the Castle Ice2 160HV. I have spooled the heli up many times without blades, everything sounded good. I'm using the Castle governor, all is working well. I have the Castle set up on the lowest spool up speed.

I have the spring loaded motor mount set so that the motor has movement, I've checked that the motor doesn't hang up at any point when I depress the springs and release.

The fist time I spooled up the heli (haven't flown it yet) on my front lawn with blades, I noticed an interesting belt related sound. To me it sounds as if the belt is under great strain during the first 3-4 seconds of the spool up. I am sure the belt isn't skipping, but it creaks very much and makes a decent amount of noise.

Can anyone let me know if this is normal for the Goblin belt drive? I do NOT have the two side mounting screws (on motor mount) tightened. Have I misunderstood how the mount works? I was under the impression that the side screws are to be left loose and the springs provide the tension and allow for flex during operation. Could it be that my engine mount springs are worn and not providing enough pressure?

I would very much appreciate any feedback! Thanks!
jgrunert is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:46 PM   #2
gaui.canada
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Phillip H
Radio of choice:
Vcontrol Touch
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 6
Re: First 700 driveline question.

Hi Jesse, incorrect... all motor bolts need to be TIGHT The 2 springs are there to help put some force.. You need to pry the motor towards the front to apply tension to the belt, than tighten the 2 nuts and side bolts....
Motor does not float

birdman
gaui.canada is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:04 PM   #3
jgrunert
RCC Apprentice

Thank you for setting me straight, I will tighten the belt and set the screws and give it another go!

Old 12-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #4
gaui.canada
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Phillip H
Radio of choice:
Vcontrol Touch
# of RCs: 999

Total Props: 6

Your more than welcome....
gaui.canada is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-10-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
jgrunert
RCC Apprentice

This did solve my problem, I was able to find a copy of the Goblin 700 Manual online, it clearly states what you said, bolt it down solid. I was also able to determine I was running the wrong pinion for my motor/cell count, so fixed that as well. She spools up beautifully now!

Tags
goblin 700 belt tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in