New modeling organization in U.S. - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 12-17-2019, 02:14 PM   #21
cf100
RCC Master Contributor

I am: K.Kalynuk

Total Props: 21
Re: New modeling organization in U.S.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
Pretty much agree with a number of supporting arguments on behalf of MAAC and to compare apples with apples . Though the AMA and MAAC are similar they are in no way the same as several contributors to this forum are more familiar with the MAAC organization than others. Yes , may not be 100% perfect and you will always find complainers and criticizers that are never 100% satisfied . Maybe if they got involved , that would be a good thing ?
I think most of the contriubtors to these discussions are involved.
For some reason most flyers donot "buy into MAAC"

For example - the last Alberta zone meeting report in the MAAC mag - 13 MAAC members show up. see page 9 - really considering all the stuff with DOT that happened this past year.

Another example: page 25 South East zone - no one wanted to be the zone director, I sure Chris Brownhill is a great guy but really will a control line guy be really concerned about the DOT regs.

For some reason MAAC is unable to change with the times and get members to buy into the organization further than just buying a membership. I expect MAAC will go down the tubes at some point, some just cannot realize that this aeromodelling is dying and there is no stopping it.

How many times have I hear at the field for the past 10 years how useless the magazine and how much it costs the organization and it still lives - geeezz.

Trouble with a lot these threads, aas soon as some offers a point of view against the current MAAC, you quickly jump and label them as a MAAC hater or fake news etc, so this trickles down and no one wants to confront the old establishment of MAAC and improve the organization.

Does MAAC even get 1% of it's membership to come out to a zone meeting?

Maybe this new organization will be able to connect with their members.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0005.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	1655253   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0024.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	1655255  

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:49 PM   #22
Sharpy01
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Marc S

Total Props: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyace View Post
Not a smug dismissal on my part by any means just skepticism that they can be any more successful than the attempt by the SFA some years ago. They were actually up and running with members and events and I believe the AMA sued the organization and some of the original organizers.....

.... I also have no doubt that the AMA is fighting for its life and I donít see them giving up any members to a competing organization without a fight. Last time as I said it was settled in the courts.

Dennis
Funny Story when I started in the hobby seriously 25+ years ago, I lived on the border and used the SFA for 2 years before I even heard about MAAC.... lol ... good thing I didn't kill anyone. Regardless, it does show that the time of the SFA was a lifetime ago and the landscape has changed so much that its merely an interesting story and not relevant to present times.

... I suspect that the AMA will be in a tougher spot if they decide to spend money fighting to maintain what amounts to a monopoly in the US and I further suspect "IF" a new organization has negotiated a true exemption of some form from the FAA, the AMA would be somewhat foolhardy to try and sue such an organization .....for being successful?

Yup, it will be interesting to see what happens though......and we should pay attention as TC has made it clear that they must leave the door open for other organizations such as MAAC that can demonstrate a proper safety culture.

The US could easily support more than one organization and with their economy/jobs market on fire and moving in a diametrically opposed direction from our own, they may soon have an opportunity for growth as more wind up with more disposable money in their pocket...... as our disposable income shrinks. ... just saying.
Sharpy01 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-17-2019, 05:15 PM   #23
lazyace
RCC Contributor

I am: Dennis P
Radio of choice:
hitec
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cf100 View Post

Another example: page 25 South East zone - no one wanted to be the zone director, I sure Chris Brownhill is a great guy but really will a control line guy be really concerned about the DOT regs.
Wow you don't even know the man and you've made a comment on his integrity and ability to do his job solely because he flys control line. I think that speaks volume's about your make up Ken.
lazyace is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 12-17-2019, 06:08 PM   #24
cf100
RCC Master Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyace View Post
Wow you don't even know the man and you've made a comment on his integrity and ability to do his job solely because he flys control line. I think that speaks volume's about your make up Ken.

Wow - you know dick squat about my makeup and I know dick squat about you so I will not label you, I prefer to tak on MAAC rather that get personal like you always seem to do.

It is neither a comment of the ZD of Zone L, it is a comment on the state of affairs of MAAC aeromodelling,

The biggest issue facing MAAC since it's exception have been the new DOT regulations that affect r/c models and in that light one of the biggest zones in MAAC is represented by some one that does not fly r/c that speaks volumes on apathy most modellers have toward MAAC.

GEEZ!
Old 12-17-2019, 11:33 PM   #25
DW_Crash
RCC Contributor

I am: Dave K
Radio of choice:
Airtronics / Aristocraft-Polks
# of RCs: 25+

Total Props: 0

Quote:
I think most of the contriubtors to these discussions are involved.
For some reason most flyers donot "buy into MAAC"

For example - the last Alberta zone meeting report in the MAAC mag - 13 MAAC members show up. see page 9 - really considering all the stuff with DOT that happened this past year.

For some reason MAAC is unable to change with the times and get members to buy into the organization further than just buying a membership. I expect MAAC will go down the tubes at some point, some just cannot realize that this aeromodelling is dying and there is no stopping it.

How many times have I hear at the field for the past 10 years how useless the magazine and how much it costs the organization and it still lives - geeezz.

Trouble with a lot these threads, aas soon as some offers a point of view against the current MAAC, you quickly jump and label them as a MAAC hater or fake news etc, so this trickles down and no one wants to confront the old establishment of MAAC and improve the organization.

Does MAAC even get 1% of it's membership to come out to a zone meeting?

Maybe this new organization will be able to connect with their members.
The magazine is the glue for the club. It needs to be an active part to keep everyone aware of what is happening. No mag, no info being spread, no club.

Yes...more members need to be active at all levels. ERCS, my club, is trying all kinds of outreaches etc. to attract people to our club. We educate them on who and what we do....

dave
Old 12-18-2019, 09:22 AM   #26
CarlC
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Carl C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX18
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 6

I'll stick with and continue to support MAAC with my time and membership. It's a shame that more folks don't attend meetings, I'm ashamed I waited so long to stick my foot in. I'm getting more involved now as I've noticed that the executive democratic process is eroding from the tip top down, and I want to try and be a part of the solution there. Fingers crossed.
However MAAC has notwithstanding internal rifts, still managed to carve out TC language that no one will better. Be proud MAAC... BRAVO! NICE WORK!

That said there are certainly no more members to be had than exist already, to doubt that is folly. Thinning out the membership by dividing our voice will END us AND our flying. Full Stop!

Last edited by CarlC; 12-18-2019 at 09:32 AM.
CarlC is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:33 AM   #27
cf100
RCC Master Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
long to stick my foot in. I'm getting more involved now as I've noticed that the executive democratic process is eroding from the tip top down, !
Why is that always the case with MAAC executive and board of directors?

I have always found the way MAAC zone directors get elected flawed and complete disconnect with local clubs.
IMHO each zone should have a council made up of executives from each club level say the president from each club, that council would chose from their ranks who would represent the zone council at the MAAC level and bring recommendations and resolutions to MAAC and the council would bring back MAAC issues to the club level.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:36 AM   #28
CarlC
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX18

Quote:
Why is that always the case with MAAC executive and board of directors?

I have always found the way MAAC zone directors get elected flawed and complete disconnect with local clubs.
IMHO each zone should have a council made up of executives from each club level say the president from each club, that council would chose from their ranks who would represent the zone council at the MAAC level and bring recommendations and resolutions to MAAC and the council would bring back MAAC issues to the club level.
MY comment has nothing to do with the Zone Directors. There's absolutely in my opinion nothing wrong with the Zone director selections. I've been on the executive in my club for more years than I can count, and there are always more suggestions than volunteers. THAT'S where the problems lie. If we want change we have get in there pull up our socks and do our part.

Last edited by CarlC; 12-18-2019 at 09:45 AM.
CarlC is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #29
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 40

Well said , Carl. Been reading criticism but nothing constructive . As for MAAC’s magazine , I believe you can opt out of receiving it when renewing ? I prefer to receive it although they could drop the classifieds as the classifieds are more up to date here due lead time in the mag.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:38 AM   #30
CarlC
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX18

Yes Len you can opt out of the magazine. I also look forward to receiving my magazine. I will throw my hat in with you regarding the classifieds, I never view them.

Cheers!
Carl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in