Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 180
Ultrasonic clean.....A Cowl???

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I sold a plane to a fellow that asked me to fit the cowl onto it.

The cowl was in good shape but was cut out for an engine that the previous owner had in it.

I like using CA and fiberglass to stiffen a cowl. In places that had holes or cutouts I didn't want, I would patch with fiberglass on the inside, add a second layer to the outside and fill with baking-soda&CA

The only problem was the cowl was dirty from fuel-fling and other dirt. Although I washed it thoroughly as best as I could, it still looked dirty inside, and still felt a little slimy. CA/Fiberglass repair would surely not last more than a season if I tried to fix it in this condition.

Presently I have a 2L ultrasonic tank that I absolutely love. It gets engines and small parts cleaned beautifully. In the year that I have had it, I have experimented with different cleansers for different materials that needed cleaning.

On a whim, I thought I would throw the cowl in and see what happened. The cowl would not fit completely into the tank. I could only do half at a time.

My cleaning mix for the cowl was 2L of water (tank capacity), one teaspoon of Tide powdered soap, and setting the water temperature to 60deg Celsius.

After 15 minutes.. WOW!!! I could not believe how clean the first half of the cowl had gotten. I am sorry I didnt take a before picture, but you can already see the difference between the half I cleaned and the other side.

Flipped it over and did the other half. WOW!! It was super clean. The added benefit was even the outside of the cowl was spotless!

Cowl was dried and repaired. There was not a spot of oil anywhere, so adding cloth/CA was effortless and the bond was excellent. Then re-cut to fit the engine. She looks great!
I love this gadget!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cowl1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	1667049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cowl2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	1667051  

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:14 AM   #2
sirguy
RCC Noob

I am: John B
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 0
Re: Ultrasonic clean.....A Cowl???

Thinking on buying one of these ultra sonic cleaners. What brand, what size and where did you purchase it.
Thanks in advance
sirguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:24 AM   #3
Max
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirguy View Post
Thinking on buying one of these ultra sonic cleaners. What brand, what size and where did you purchase it.
Thanks in advance
I have a 2L tank I mail ordered. You can get them from Amazon. I paid $100 for mine. I would caution to not buy anything smaller than 2L, it sounds big but its not. Its good enough for all my engines so far, but barely. 4L would be best if you can afford it.
https://www.amazon.ca/Flexzion-Comme...5315388&sr=8-7

If cleaning aluminum engines you have to use a cleaner that is compatible with aluminum- I use Crystal Clear. You can get it from a shop in Newmarket Ontario.

Other parts like steel, brass, plastic, (or in my case, the fiberglass cowl) etc, you can use dish soap or my favourite: Tide powered laundry soap
60deg Celsius seems to be the best temperature.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71iLgKRPYGL._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	1667075  

My Aircraft Albums: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/album.php?u=13173

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:49 AM   #4
Midair
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Peter M.
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 37

Total Props: 16

Max, that looks like the same one that I have; like you, purchased from Amazon. I've used it for years to clean small parts effectively and absolutely love it. Never thought of of cleaning fiberglass parts. Thanks.
MAAC #22527

Murphy was an optimist; fly safe and have fun.
Midair is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:22 AM   #5
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 40

Yes , ultrasonic is the best way to clean but cleaning solutions and the method used are also important. If the paint finish and the material can handle it , I find that using TSP mixed with water to be a much better solution than just soap and water but make sure the TSP is compatable with what is cleaned. On any surface that is rough like the inside of the cowl, a small brush also helps a lot. Much more elbow grease required and not quite as good as ultrasonic but should work well. Also even a thorough rinsing is needed to remove any oils left behind on the surface ,even if hand dried.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:09 PM   #6
CF105
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Kevin Drayson
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: n+1

Total Props: 17

I’ve thought of getting one of those things. My optometrist uses an ultrasonic cleaner to clean glasses, so there’s yet another use!
CF105 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in