Designing 90 mm CT-114 Tutor - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 06-16-2018, 12:41 AM   #1
Dutkoski
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: John Dutkoski
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 9
Designing 90 mm CT-114 Tutor

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Since I cannot change the title, I figure I will just start a new build thread. So anything to do with this model will be found here and not the thread requesting help.

I've started the project, thank you guys for supplying me with the information that I need. I made the trip to Paragon and got the main drawings reprinted to the size for a 1/8th scale. Of course, the former profiles were not to the same scale, so cut them out individually and scanned them, imported into Corell Draw and adjusted each one to the proper dimensions.

The wings will be simple in design, simply screwed in place like most of our low wing sport models. There will be provision for ailerons, flaps and retracts of course. I'll look up the scale airfoil and most likely fatten it up a bit, make sure there is enough thickness for the retract installation.

Unfortunately, the intakes will need to be fudged a bit as they are too small, or a cheater hole will need to be cut in the bottom. And I don't like cheater holes all that much.

The thrust tube will unfortunately be pretty long, 22" so will keep it as big as possible for as long as possible before tapering down to fit.

The intake fairings might be vacuformed and might have moulded intake ducting if possible, but I think it will be worth the effort, to improve air flow. I think the intakes will also be vacuformed out of .030" styrene.

Access to the interior will be through the removable canopy and rear canopy fairing, more moulds as they will be white styrene and clear plastic combination.

These are my thoughts at the moment, feel free to chime in with any thoughts or advise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6700.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	1,018.1 KB
ID:	1551298  
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:47 AM   #2
Dutkoski
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Re: Designing 90 mm CT-114 Tutor

It's been a busy past week and weekend, but I had some time tonight. Got the data in the CNC program and cut out a couple of wing panels. I'll be using the inexpensive mid-size retracts from HK along with the oleo strut and wheels. The main wheel on the drawing shows the wheel to be just over 2" so I'll be using 2.25" ones with the aluminum hub.

The nose gear retract is actually the next size smaller, but the sprung oleo strut fits that retract. I think it'll be ok, since it's the mains that take most of the punishment.

After measuring the wing thickness in the retract area, happy to find the wing is thick enough by 1/8" to spare. I'll most likely cut right through the wing and skin the opening with some 1/64" plywood.

Once the fuselage is designed and a wing saddle is cut, the leading edge and trailing edge will get trimmed to fit.

That's all until the next weekend, I'm away for the whole week.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6724.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	745.4 KB
ID:	1551300  
Old 06-16-2018, 12:59 AM   #3
Dutkoski
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

It was a very busy week away from home, but I'm back for nine days, so I should get this airframe designed and hot wired to shape.

Tonight, I cut the second wing panel. Turned out very nice.

Then made patterns for the horizontal stabilizer and the vertical fin, entered the info into the computer and got those items cut out.

Had to make a template to cut the saddle for the stabilizer to get bonded to the top of the fin. Turned out really nice as well.

So, the test pieces are made, so placed them on the drawings to see how they match, very happy with the dimensions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6744.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	699.6 KB
ID:	1551310   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6745.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	760.1 KB
ID:	1551312   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6747.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	525.2 KB
ID:	1551314  

Old 06-17-2018, 07:32 PM   #4
Dutkoski
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Happy Fathers Day guys, hope you have a very relaxing day,

This morning, spent time designing the aft fuselage behind the wing. Had to make three hot wire templates to make the upper and lower parts, turned out pretty good.

Test fitted and they fit, gotta like that. The filler piece is 3/4" thick, it'll get trimmed and blended into the top and bottom.

The EDF unit seems to have plenty of space. The thrust tube will be an easy item to make, a straight fiberglass pipe. The tailcone will need to be either vacuformed plastic, or fiberglass. The thrust tube will have an exit diameter of 2.75" and the diameter of the fuselage at that area is 3", too thin for just foam.

All the foam parts made so far weigh in at 10.01781 oz.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6753.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	708.6 KB
ID:	1551654   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6757.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	851.0 KB
ID:	1551658  

Last edited by Dutkoski; 06-17-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:44 PM   #5
Mark Winstanley
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Mark W
Radio of choice:
Futaba 14SG, Spektrum 6

Total Props: 1

HI John; I don't suppose there is any chance of you doing a 70mm version is there?
Models: Anything that flies
Mark Winstanley is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:55 AM   #6
Dutkoski
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

I do have a 70 mm thrust tube mould that would fit. I guess if you kept it very light it would fly. I don't think it would have the ability to do aerobatics though. But, I could be wrong.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:13 PM   #7
TK42fox1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
I would also be interested in a set of plans for 70mm if you decide to make/sell some.
TK42fox1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:18 AM   #8
Dutkoski
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

I don't think I'll be doing any drawings like the good old days. If anything, there will be a instruction manual with pictures, illustrations and step by step information.

I was informed the other day that the slight hump in the upper fuselage template is incorrect by a chap who worked on the Tutor. So, I'll either modify the existing template or make a new one this weekend.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:40 PM   #9
Quazimoose
RCC Noob

I am: Doug S
Radio of choice:
Jeti/Airtronics

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutkoski View Post
I don't think I'll be doing any drawings like the good old days. If anything, there will be a instruction manual with pictures, illustrations and step by step information.

I was informed the other day that the slight hump in the upper fuselage template is incorrect by a chap who worked on the Tutor. So, I'll either modify the existing template or make a new one this weekend.
I have the Jet Legend Tutor that your drawings are from. The slight hump in the former fits into the very rear of the canopy which is molded into the fuselage. I don't think the former would fit at the location the plans show.

I can take a pic if you like.
Quazimoose is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:17 PM   #10
Dutkoski
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Thanks Doug, I figured something like that. The drawings of the fuselage and former locations do not seem to match up with the templates for the formers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in