Will Nitro Fuel still be available in 5 or 10 years - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 01-14-2021, 06:25 PM   #11
RobatTN
RCC Noob

I am: Robert H
Radio of choice:
Jeti
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
Re: Will Nitro Fuel still be available in 5 or 10 years

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
In the US Nitromethane is now strictly controlled. I expect it would be very difficult if not impossible to buy a barrel of pure nitro now. What can be purchased with no issue is a mixture of 50% nitromethane & 50% methanol from VP Fuels. I bought pure nitro back in the late 80's and made my own fuel then went out of hobby but now back in and when I went to brew my own discovered the above. My understanding is that nitromethane was part of what was used in the bombing in Oklahoma City years ago!
RobatTN is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-14-2021, 08:27 PM   #12
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

Ether is the same way, a controlled substance. The druggies fixed that one for us back in the '70s! All you can get now is cans of spray starter fluid for diesel engines which may contain some ether.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:53 AM   #13
aspeed
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: alanf
Radio of choice:
monoline
# of RCs: 50

Total Props: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobatTN View Post
In the US Nitromethane is now strictly controlled. I expect it would be very difficult if not impossible to buy a barrel of pure nitro now. What can be purchased with no issue is a mixture of 50% nitromethane & 50% methanol from VP Fuels. I bought pure nitro back in the late 80's and made my own fuel then went out of hobby but now back in and when I went to brew my own discovered the above. My understanding is that nitromethane was part of what was used in the bombing in Oklahoma City years ago!
I would not start rumours about the Okie bombing without verification. I think fertilizer was the main offending ingredient. There was a train accident that happened many years ago with nitromethane that made the 50% nitro/methanol mixture happen for shipping. According to old folklore one of the train cars was going to Sig. Of course all of my info is not verified, but I believe it to be true. I still have some straight nitro from the 1980s and the plastic in the jug got very brittle and started to leak. I think steel cans may be better in many ways, but rust would negate the positives. I went to a plastic one again. I am going to try a mix of 80 - 20 soon with crappy methanol and Canola oil. Heard it was used in the war to lube submarines because it sticks to metal when wet. The smoking and flame points are similar to castor. It is degummed for human consumption so I think it is worth a try. The cost is a bonus if you shop around. Wally mart has a 5 litre jug for $7 or whatever. It is a bit premature for me to say this without experimenting first and it is a bit cold to try things out right now. If it does not work well, I have hundreds of spare motors and can use the Canola oil for undercoating the cars. Apparently it works well and dries out to a film kind of like castor. Could be a rodent problem in that app. I heard peanut oil might work but it is much more expensive, and you may as well just use castor which is proven. I don't think Canola is the best for human consumption over time. Just putting in my 2 cents. Round that off to zero at the till.
aspeed is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-15-2021, 11:24 AM   #14
RobatTN
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
Jeti

Well you may have noticed I prefaced the statement with "my understanding" leaving room for it to be wrong. And yes I know the major part of the explosive was fertilizer and fuel oil.
I buy all my ingredients on the methanol and methanol/nitro from VP Fuels, not cheap but top quality product made for racing. I use Klotz synthetic oil KL-200 reliable also not cheap but neither were the engines!
Old 01-15-2021, 01:38 PM   #15
aspeed
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
monoline

I like the Klotz too but it ends up being about $20 a quart here. Turns out that the Canola does not like to mix with the methanol. Maybe with some acetone or nitro it could help. I will give it a few days to dissolve, but not holding my breath.
Old 01-15-2021, 01:46 PM   #16
floyd
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 87

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed View Post
I like the Klotz too but it ends up being about $20 a quart here.
I bought a case of 10 quarts of the Klotz last year and it cost me $30.00 a quart with taxes and shipping. Boy I'd love to here of another oil I could use other than Castor oil to cut my costs of mixing my own fuel. Cheers Floyd
floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:02 AM   #17
aspeed
RCC Expert Contributor

Radio of choice:
monoline

The Toledo show had the Klotz for a bit over $12 US the last time I asked. I guess those days are over. I would still like to try peanut oil and have heard some Europeans had used olive oil many years ago. I bet that would varnish up. Synthetic is more what I would like but seems much pricier than castor, even the air conditioning type seems expensive at least what I found on short notice.
Old 01-16-2021, 10:24 AM   #18
RobatTN
RCC Noob

Radio of choice:
Jeti

The original Klotz KL-200 here in the U.S. is $15.00 US/quart before tax and shipping. Do you have additional tariff on this or is it shipping that runs the cost so high to you?
Old 01-16-2021, 12:29 PM   #19
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 336

Yes I found that the canola oil doesn't mix with methanol. Too bad as I think it would work otherwise. Maybe combined with ether it would?
Old 01-16-2021, 01:49 PM   #20
Derek Hanna
RCC Contributor

I am: Derek H
Radio of choice:
FrSky Taranis X9D Plus SE
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 10

Getting back to the OP's return to the hobby....
$32.99/jug for 10% Omega or Cool Power at Great Hobbies; $37.99 for 15% Omega (fob store) per US gallon.
https://www.greathobbies.com/search/...rchButton=Find
If you order in bulk, discounts are available. This still looks reasonable IMO and I hope continues to be available, so long as we support fuel vendors.
Most all of my motors burn glow fuel and I buy fuel by the case (4 jugs). Converting to ignition can reduce fuel consumption while cleaning up the exhaust. This is my preference for motors 20 cc and larger. I usually buy 10% nitro fuel as its both economical and lends itself to lower fuel consumption rates.

Last edited by Derek Hanna; 01-16-2021 at 01:59 PM.
Derek Hanna is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in