Reaction 64, design and build - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Jets Discuss electric jets in Canada.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:42 AM   #11
Dutkoski
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: John Dutkoski
Radio of choice:
Spectrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 9
Re: Reaction 64, design and build

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I think I misled you guys regarding the inlets. I'm not referring to inlet ducting. I'm talking about the inlet fairings on the outside of the fuselage, ie: like on the Tutor. I did not want to have ducting, as this is intended to be a quick build model.
The EDF unit will have a bell mouth inlet ring. The inlet holes in the fuselage sides will have a area twice the size of the total fan sweep area and the front opening in the plastic inlet fairing will be about the same.
I may glue in foam walls to help direct the air flow, but that's all. I want to keep the effort down to a minimum and not be making moulds if I can help it.
Today, my neighbour and I are heading to Home Depot to buy material for a large shed, ill piggyback the order and pick up the two foam sheets to start the buikd tonight.

Chris, if you want to build one, I could print out the rib templates and copy the fusealage sides for you. Just mail you the items. This build forum can act as your instruction manual.
Dutkoski is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:07 AM   #12
Dutkoski
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

To keep things really simple, perhaps cutting in a couple of NACA styled scoops on either side of the fuselage will be sufficient to provide the intake airflow. Plus a smaller one under the nose section. The suction from the EDF will provide enough airflow to cool the batteries and the ESC at the same time.

Although intake ducting to the EDF would provide that clean smooth airflow for a speed demon, my intention is not to be flying overly fast, I would prefer simplicity, ease of build and to generate static thrust so grass field take offs would be easy. I hope to be flying at half throttle most of the time as a sport plane. This does not mean, the thought of making moulds at a later date would be out of the question, just not with this prototype.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9084.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	1674777  
Old 05-22-2020, 06:23 PM   #13
Cat 1
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Chris S.
Radio of choice:
Graupner MZ-24 PRO
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 4

John,

Thanks for the offer of templates. Would cover your trouble and postage for a set. I can also CAD from sketches and I have compufoil for templates and "ribs" if its easier to just send specs.

I did print out a "duct" - drew it at 90mm size but printed it at 50mm size for time economy. When I looked at it this morning I had a moment like you did with the test glider. This would make a great "foam board" 50mm EDF. I went back and re-drew the duct to fit the fan I have and flanges for 5mm foam board. I think it would work great as a simple "Park" jet. I made a quick foam mock up of how the fuse would look. I think you can tell from the pics how simple this would be.

I do get your plan to go with an open plenum. I think that is still the best way to do a simple airframe as it insures reasonable performance that matches this airframe well. If speed was the prime goal then inlets are needed but for simplicity your plan is better.

I know you were close to getting your printer going - it does a real nice job with those NACA ducts.

Here are some pics of the 50mm duct - The project has been dubbed "Action-50" - Will start a new thread if this one progresses.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5611.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	848.4 KB
ID:	1674791   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5613.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	496.4 KB
ID:	1674793   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5615.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	619.0 KB
ID:	1674795   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5618.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	547.3 KB
ID:	1674797  

Name:	IMG_5619.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	546.9 KB
ID:	1674799  
Cat 1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:04 PM   #14
Dutkoski
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Wow, those look incredible, very slick looking. I just gotta get mine up and running and learn how to use it properly.

What is the weight?
Old 05-23-2020, 05:37 PM   #15
Cat 1
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Graupner MZ-24 PRO

John,

Have the exhaust duct printed now for the 50mm Foam board version and have some foam cut out - Will start documenting how it goes together when I start gluing. Will start another thread..

Here are a couple pics of the whole Duct setup - there is a powerfun 50mm fan in the middle there. The flanges on the duct are "structural" and will be glued to the foam, the tailpipe has a former and a spline that glues to the top of the fuse attached also.

Total weight for the 2 ducts is 50 grams - kept the walls thin as I can to save weight - the blunt fronts of the intakes will get a nice printed airfoil lip once installed. The intakes are a full 50mm semicircle so they will have +100% FSA as the blades sweep 50mm minus a 25mm spinner. The ducts make a nice gradual transition thanks to the "lofting" in the "CAD" program.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5622.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	1674915   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5623.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	460.2 KB
ID:	1674917   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5624.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	824.7 KB
ID:	1674919  
Old 05-23-2020, 07:01 PM   #16
j-c terrettaz
RCC Master Contributor

I am: j-C T
Radio of choice:
JR 28X
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 3

before was so much work to create intake of this shape ...beautiful job , I'm impress
j-c terrettaz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-24-2020, 05:50 PM   #17
Dutkoski
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Yippie, look what the Amazon Santa delivered today, 20 micro servos ( $58.00 ) for the 50 mm EDF chuck it model and the two batteries 5000 MAH 3 cell 50C ( $85.00 ) for the actually 90 mm version.

These batteries are getting smaller all the time, look at how shorter they are compared to my 5000 MAH Vernon batteries I bought maybe three or four years ago.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_9093.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	868.5 KB
ID:	1675021   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9094.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	961.8 KB
ID:	1675023  

Last edited by Dutkoski; 05-24-2020 at 07:57 PM.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:54 PM   #18
Cat 1
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Graupner MZ-24 PRO

John,

Always love when Santa shows up - will have to check out these batteries. I was using those servos but now I mostly get the Metal geared version - But you have to get them from China if you want a reasonable price.

I have started another thread as a "Build log" to show the foam board printed intake version. I didn't want to dilute your 90mm version with a different build in the same thread. Its over here -

https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/sho...33#post3770633

Cant wait to see what you have planned for the 90mm. - I think this could be a real good sport machine.

Chris
Old 05-28-2020, 07:21 AM   #19
Dutkoski
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Thanks Chris, just read your post, like I mentioned, I'm envious. I'm actually thinking of enlaging this small version slightly to a 36" wingspan with a CNC foam cut wing. Looking at this size just to get more wing area and be able to install light micro retracts.

But, the 64" model should take shape this weekend. I'll post measurements for you so you'll have the dimensions to 3D print stuff

Last edited by Dutkoski; 05-28-2020 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:58 PM   #20
Cat 1
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:
Graupner MZ-24 PRO

Can't wait to see the 64 take shape John.

I think 36 would be a sweet size for the little one too - mine is a nice size but I am actually surprised at the wing loading numbers i'm predicting - will fly great but might not be a "floater" - a bigger wing and a good airfoil will be an improvement I think. Also - mine kinds has that "missing a piece in the middle look" you were discussing before. Your plan for a longer "tube" should look better.

When you get a chance could you possible send me pics and info on your CNC foam cutter? I'm thinking of building one and looking for ideas. Thanks in advance and absolutely no rush.

Last edited by Cat 1; 05-28-2020 at 01:58 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in