windshield material ????????????? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Construction Ideas, Hints and Tips For all the builders out there. Ask questions, make suggestions, trade tips.

Old 07-19-2020, 12:06 PM   #1
peterel
RCC Contributor

I am: PETERL
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 18

Total Props: 2
windshield material ?????????????

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Ok I'm at the point where I have to build a front and rear windshield for my 1/5 scale scratch build. Trying not to have to order material from on line shop ( hate to paid mail charges that are more than what I'm ordering) . Did a lot of looking on line --2 liter pop bottle--face shield from welding shop--looking on line what thickness? Have seen .010--.015--.020--.030. Grabbed a pop bottle out of the recycling seems thin. Replacement face shields come in many materials from very hard to very soft. Need some ideas about what you are using?
peterel is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:17 PM   #2
chuck_zc
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Charlie L.
Radio of choice:
Spectrum

Blister packaging is fairly stiff
chuck_zc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-19-2020, 02:14 PM   #3
Arceenut
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Roy H
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 46
Re: windshield material ?????????????

Look for industrial plastic shops that make blister packs and do vacuum forming in you area. you may be lucky to get some scraps and left over ends for a good price.

Old 07-19-2020, 02:49 PM   #4
peterel
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

Ha Ha Ha thanks, but not where I live. Town about 750 people.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:17 PM   #5
Phlier
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Phil S
Radio of choice:
DX 9
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 9
Do you know what shape and size. I was looking around GH website and found sig makes a bunch of generic teardrop style windshields. If your looking for flat lexan, might check with the glass shops.
Phlier is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:36 PM   #6
peterel
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

I was looking at GH and the Sig stuff ( still don't know what size to use yet ) But don't want to pay shipping for 1 piece. I found that lexan is hard to work with, seems just a little too stiff.
Stuck at home no one wants to go flying today so I will have to wait to try the glass shops.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:29 PM   #7
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 Jeti and Airtronics SD-6
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 136

Can you post a picture of the fuse so we know what you are building.
Not enough information given; like just flat windows or ?
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-19-2020, 06:15 PM   #8
michaely
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis, Horus 10x and Aloft Hobbies single stick w/FrSky X10s parts
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 83

As Len said more information on your project would be useful.

Here is an old thread from this forum on the subject touches a lot aspects of the subject:
https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/sho...canopy+forming

I micro metered a 1/5 and 1/4 scale canopies I happen to have around.... the finished thickness (if vacuum formed, the plastic thins out as it is drawn) for the 1/5 was a bit over .020" and for the 1/4 a bit under .030".

Flat blister pack plastic - mixed salad containers from the grocery store - have relatively large areas of clear plastic - than can make simple flat/non-compound curved windshields. Look around enough and you will probably find some items packaged in blister pack shapes that would work for a (non scale) scratch built 1/5 scale model, such as the compound curved bubble front windshield for a Cub type model.

The thread linked to has a brief description of using 2 liter pop bottles/a form on a stick and head gun to make pieces of compound curves shapes...... I've seen detailed how to threads on this over at rcgroups.com Quite innovative and low investment in time/effort .... and the materials are in peoples' recycling bins.

Vacuum forming full canopies typically requires making a vacuum (forming) box that you can hook up to a shopvac but the size of canopy is limited to the size of you heating box (eg. stove oven). A major effort. Lots of threads on this around.

Google/YouTube search "vacuum forming canopies", etc.

Last edited by michaely; 07-20-2020 at 08:06 AM.
michaely is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:11 AM   #9
cassat
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Dave
Radio of choice:
Airtronics Aquila,Taranis,DX7
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 11

Sounds like you have to go to the bakery at Coop tomorrow Peter for a Deli tray
cassat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:09 AM   #10
peterel
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Futaba

To get to the deli I have to get past the bakery department first ( the hard part) I looked what we had around the house and all the deli stuff seams really hard type plastic and does not want to bend. So I grabbed a 2 liter pop bottle taped my windshield pattern to it and cut it out. The nature curve of the bottle worked out just great, I clamped it to the plane for a test fit and it was almost a perfect fit. Looks great, take it off polished it up and remounted it and it looks great. But wait whats this? Do you know that the print a " batch number" right on the bottle? Yup right in the middle of my windshield. I will have to find another pop bottle to cut another one from. Dig out my calipers and the bottle is .010 thick. The windshield is 9 inches wide and 5 inches tall and when all clamped down seams to be quite rigid. Don't know if it's worth ordering 0.015 plastic or just go with this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in