Woops flesh and blood every where - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 04-10-2021, 05:09 AM   #31
itizme
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Steve W.
Radio of choice:
18MZ T8J DX5R DX8

Total Props: 29
Re: Woops flesh and blood every where

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Can't believe I just found this thread. Was testing a rudder servo trim and hit 1 click of throttle and that stupid F Visionaire cut right through a brand new pair of work pants and had me wondering if this was going to be a bleed out situation.
You will see my 6 and 12 cell setups all have Emcotec safety switches on them. It is also cool to roll the electric out and pull the "remove before flight" flag and go, at least in my mind it is ( yes we are the nerds)
itizme is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:38 AM   #32
len440
RCC Noob

I am: len440
Radio of choice:
JR

Total Props: 0

I've been lucky(?) i have been flying rc since 1980 and seen a few prop inflected wounds usually caused by a brain fart or a momentary lack of concentration. My only cut came from helping a new flyer and he had the first master airscrew prop and WE had not learned to sand the razor edge off the trailing edge of their props, one flip and....... My last radio i bought has a warning beep if I turn it on with the throttle not on low. I had a few electric guys explain why to me. Hope everyone heals ok.
len440 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:50 PM   #33
4stripes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Flyboy 1

Total Props: 16
Failsafe? Not always...

One topic that deserves attention for sure. I fly mostly EDF so prop injuries are almost impossible.

On another related subject, how many times have you seen someone not set their receiver failsafe properly when binding the radio? If the throttle wasn't set at full idle down, it becomes a ticking time bomb. If the TX is switched off, the RX will go to the failsafe setting and if the throttle wasn't set correctly, you have a "situation" (with electric prop planes).

Old 04-16-2021, 06:37 PM   #34
MJD
RCC Contributor

I am: Mike D

Total Props: 10
Re: Failsafe? Not always...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
One topic that deserves attention for sure. I fly mostly EDF so prop injuries are almost impossible.

On another related subject, how many times have you seen someone not set their receiver failsafe properly when binding the radio? If the throttle wasn't set at full idle down, it becomes a ticking time bomb. If the TX is switched off, the RX will go to the failsafe setting and if the throttle wasn't set correctly, you have a "situation" (with electric prop planes).
LOL - that is PRECISELY how I laid my right shin open in the incident I mentioned in an earlier post - with a Flyzone Beaver. I had armed it out on the dock, then started fussing with my mug of tea, dangit where are my ^%#@ sunglasses, uh oh better take a leak... that sort of thing. Then, once I was finally all sorted, I walked over and reached down for the transmitter - and as I bent over the model fired up full bore and slid on the floats about 2 feet before the prop hit my bare right leg. Trust me it happens fast enough.. my reflexes ain't that bad but it got me good. I grabbed the wing and wrestled it to a stop and killed everything.. then walked up to the cottage with my shin tore to shreds.. my wife was a bit horrified. It had made about 5 - 6 revolutions with my shin in the prop arc.

Grant - get better! Be safe! I am, pretty much mostly.. but those moments will get ya won't they?
Old 04-16-2021, 10:17 PM   #35
Riverdancer
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Douglas S
Radio of choice:
Spektrum iX12
# of RCs: 30

Total Props: 6

Sorry to hear Grant. My belief is if you never do anything, nothing will go wrong. We all take a turn at being out smarted by a park bench. All the best. Douglas
Riverdancer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-17-2021, 12:16 PM   #36
CarlC
RCC Expert Contributor
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Carl C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX18
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMACKAY View Post
While setting up my prop on my electric my Transmitter slid and I hit the throttle and BLOOD
Everywhere I always keep the prop off till I set it up BUT today was not thinking strait or very Dum of me. My Wife is going to Rap me up in Bubble Rap I think or Kill me lol. Did anyone find my Brain today I lost it again LOL.
Grant
OUCH!

BUT! My Hands look like that every time I try to bathe the cat... yup

Carl C
MAAC#: 44232-L AZD CM
IMAC#: 7551 (Noob)
CarlC is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-17-2021, 06:23 PM   #37
AviatesRC
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Aviates
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 19

Total Props: 0

I had a few close calls in the past and rigged up a simple safety trick that works for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210417_201217.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	1725039   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210417_201158.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	1725041  
Old 04-17-2021, 07:16 PM   #38
cosmith
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Cory S
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 24

I use the same kill switch on every thing I fly, regardless of power source or aircraft type. On fixed wing electric planes I always use an idle setting when I'm flying. I use a 3 pos switch...down is throttle kill, middle is throttle active, and up is idle. Idle mode is nice because much like a gas plane the prop spinning will remind you it's armed, however bumping that switch can now have similar consequence to bumping your throttle.
cosmith is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in