LIPO power supplies and gas generators - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 04-20-2021, 08:38 PM   #11
RevX
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Mike N
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 2
Re: LIPO power supplies and gas generators

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have Yamaha 2000EFI no issues on any chargers. I am electronics tech and agree with above statement on cheap generators. Inverter style was designed full clean noise free output. If you have a very good quality power supply it will filter incoming "dirty" power if using a "brushed generator" and your charger will work fine in most cases. Cheap gen + cheap power supply = trouble. You are better off to have the higher input voltage like 15-36v depending on chargers capability thus you can keep wire gauge feeding charger much smaller. Plus your power losses are less because it doesnt have to boost voltage as much to match output to batts. Like 12v in and 22.2v out your charger is working harder to boost voltage. With the new "computer" chargers this works seamlessly. Anyway most configs work well good luck.
RevX is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:45 PM   #12
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 54

I use a 600 watt server power supply and it has an output voltage I can bump up the voltage as high as 14.2v but set it at 13.5v. Made the case and two output plugs and a voltage indicator. Been working great fir over 8 years and no smoke ....lol

As for generators ; go on line and most brands will tell you the dB level and in many cases check out at what distance. Another thing is the dB level may also only be stated at 25% load but as the load goes up so does the sound and quickly .

You want an effective and quiet charging system ? Try a quality 100 watt solar panel ( and I don't mean coleman) and a proper capacity deep cycle 12v battery . Now that's quiet. The only thing is it won't charge all the guys batteries at the field. LOL

ALTHOUGH , there was a club featured in a MAAC magazine issue a while back that showed what they did with several quality solar panels and some deep cycle batteries to provide power at the field for charging as was pretty impressive.

Last edited by stegl; 04-23-2021 at 10:35 AM.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-22-2021, 04:53 PM   #13
Propworn
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dennis P
Radio of choice:
hitec
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 35

First I had a Briggs and Stratton 2200 inverter (recoil start) and its decibel level was lower than the Hondas. It starts second pull most times and runs flawlessly. This has ample power for my charging needs including multiple 6S packs. It was working when I was using 4 chargers at one time and left no extra power for the camper. I tried to run the small AC unit on the truck camper but it just would not run it even when it was the only draw on this generator. It was just to small. I purchased a Champion 3400 electric start with remote start fob and it can run the AC plus all my chargers at the same time. Its nice because usually when you need it having to go outside and pull start it is a thing of the past. Both are inverter type and both are better noise wise than most other gen sets. I have a locking, weather proof box that goes on the front of the truck for the generator or if I am towing the trailer the generator fits inside with 12 inch rad fans to remove the heat and exhaust while supplying makeup air. Close the doors no exhaust smell and noise outside is barely audible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2200 gen1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	1725901   Click image for larger version

Name:	3400 gen1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	957.2 KB
ID:	1725903  

Last edited by Propworn; 04-22-2021 at 05:16 PM.
Propworn is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-23-2021, 09:25 PM   #14
RevX
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Mike N
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 25

You might already know this, but.....Common fix for RV or Trailers with AC unit is to use a soft start relay. Most gens under 4000w will still have trouble starting bigger motors/compressors found on trailers. Soft start relays fixes this issue allowing for smaller startup current. Also protects device from uneven voltage / current surges while starting.
RevX is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:35 AM   #15
Sparrow
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Michel
Radio of choice:
Powerbox Core

Thank you to all those who have replied and helped me. I have decided due to the complexities and costs involved to pursue larger planes with gas versus electric power. I greatly valued your inputs.

When it came to my interest in bigger electric airplanes I was in unfamiliar territory and that’s the reason for my post. With all the conversations I had in the last few weeks I now fully understand the complexity involved and realized it would be prudent not go any further.

May I say it was most elegantly explained to me by our club’s illustrious RC guru John, “Electric is great and you can use any type of power for any size plane, but each power type has a sweet spot. 0 to .30 size is electric 100%, .30 to .60 is best glow and electric is still very usable. Above .60 size is best with gas. It is the most economical and easiest” Well said, well written and topic closed.

Last edited by Sparrow; 04-28-2021 at 09:43 AM.
Sparrow is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in