Converting EDF to turbines - Page 57 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Jet Aircraft Discuss Jets in Canada

Old 04-17-2021, 08:55 AM   #561
darkith
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: David L

Total Props: 1
Re: Converting EDF to turbines

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I’d lose those hose clamps. They’ll hold the hose on, but aren’t guaranteed to be air tight where the arms come together, especially if the sizing is iffy.
Two turns of safety wire twisted tightly is cheap and reliable.

Wire-tie everything that isn’t a festo or a fill plug!
darkith is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:09 PM   #562
Wingnutz
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Bill Q
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9
# of RCs: 2+

Total Props: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helijet View Post
So, the tygon sleeve is just for looks then? I would suggest to take it off because you really should be able to see the fuel flow through the tubing. This will tell you if you have a good solid stream of fuel and not a line of micro bubbles. It is perfectly acceptable to have tygon run throughout your fuel delivery system up to the UAT. From the center ( pick up ) barb you should use clear harder polyethylene. The reason being

- it is designed to be used with festo type fittings.
- it will not expand and contract under pressure supplied by the pump.
- the fuel stream can be observed

Now, the use of tygon here ...is not a big deal with our little engines but larger turbines can run 60 - 80 psi through the lines and can cause cavitation. ( surging at idle, poor throttle transition ). I'm with Angus on trying to keep things simple. The more connections you have between the final tank and pump - the more likely you may see micro bubbles form. What you have done is correct. However with all the lines being so short it may be harder to see which component may be allowing air bubbles. I generally run a bit more line between parts to see the flow through the clear line. Its easier to troubleshoot.

dw
Dean,
The 1/8 ID tygon is “slipped” on to the UAT brass tubing which is too large for 4mm poly. The same tygon is sleeved over 4mm poly which makes the connection to the festo shutoff. I can see where the “sleeving” is a potential leak area but I’m not sure how to get the job done more safely. Any suggestions appreciated. I’ve stretched the original photo to try to show the poly from the festo shutoff (inside the tygon “sleeve”)ending just before the barb on the UAT tubing. Hope it’s visible.

Outside of eliminating the Xicoy filter as per Angus’ suggestion, or the UAT itself,(I’d like to keep it rather than add nose ballast) I’m not sure how to get the UAT, shutoff, filter and pump farther apart for easier monitoring of air bubbles...??? There’s not much room in the Gripen fuse.
David,
Where do I get safety wire?
Thread,
I’m still puzzled by the main tank plug. I only need two holes but the plugs I have all have three. Can I buy two hole plugs or do I just plug one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	430D1617-B753-4408-9028-9706F38E7003.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	1725103  
Wingnutz is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:11 AM   #563
Helijet
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dean Wichmann
Radio of choice:
Jetti
# of RCs: few

Total Props: 11

Ahhh...I see. Ok.

Send me a pm and I will mail you out a 6mm piece of tubing to go onto the center pick up of the UAT and an adaptor ( 6mm - 4 mm ) to the festo shut off valve.

I will send you out some safety wire as well that you can use and source locally. Its a good thing to get a wire twisting tool. You can twist the wire with a simple needlenose plier but the tool is so much quicker.

Re your question on the tank plug.....most rubber stoppers that come with tanks have only 2 punctured holes. Take a closer look...

As they say...we got to get you "doing it right "....once you become the local turbine guru then you can pay it forward......:^)

dw

Old 04-18-2021, 08:15 AM   #564
darkith
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: David L

Total Props: 1

You can also get brass barbed adapters to connect different sizes.
https://www.ozaero.ca/festo-6-mm-fit...4-mm-connector
There are also festo push adapters, but I prefer not to use Festos on the suction side (opinions differ).

I use 24 gauge wire from Can Tire. 24-26 gauge seems to be about right.
(The picture is generic and a different gauge)
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/h...-1610736p.html

Princess auto has safety wire pliers, haven’t tried them but they look identical to mine:
https://www.princessauto.com/en/6-in...t/PA0008434854
Probably also amazon, etc.

This blog has a section on using safety wire:
https://ultimate-jets.eu/blogs/fuel-...considerations

Regarding tank stopper, if all three holes are punched, you can just cap off the unused one. A brass tube soldered closed, or a brass tube capped with a plugged piece of tygon (safety wired of course). It’s less critical if a little air leaks here, as it’s not part of the suction/pressure path. Of course, you don’t want fuel to leak out, so you still want it tight.
I actually use the third nipple on mine for filling. I’ll fill the UAT (or skip if it’s still full), and then fill the main tank directly....fills a bit faster and puts less strain on plumbing and the fill pump.
darkith is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2021, 08:50 AM   #565
Wingnutz
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9

David,
Thanks for all the information...this thread and its members have been a Godsend for me...you have all been my mentors as I try to learn as Dean says, “to do it right”
Cheers,
Bill
Old 04-18-2021, 10:17 AM   #566
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 54

I use a Festo valve on the suction side on 3 installations and no problems.
I use the Princess auto safety wire pliars and they work great.
I make my own barbed fittings to suit by cutting a narrow piece of brass pipe that fits on the end of the brass pipe being used and silver soldered ....no issues.

I guess Wingnutz doesn’t like my Tygon hose line to Festo valve hookup as per #438 picture. LOL... Works great no issues . Just make sure no burrs on brass pipe. You can see the pipe over pipe , soldered although the safety wire was added after the picture was taken. The end that goes into the Festo valve ; I spin in my drill at high speed and polish up with 800 wet/dry sandpaper and an oil lube to polish so no scratches for air leaks . Works a 100% and cheap. If needing a Festo valve hold down ; I have two styles . The grey as shown or a snap-in one as both work great . PM me if you want more info. Thanks

The Ultimate-Jets link is very good. I use the yellow gas line Teflon tape with fewer winds as it is thicker and I find it shreds less.

Good luck on the install.

Last edited by stegl; 04-24-2021 at 03:26 PM.
stegl is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-20-2021, 03:23 PM   #567
Wingnutz
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9

Thanks everyone! Sorry for the slow reply...busy with other stuff. Len, I looked at 438 and will re-visit. David...safety wire and plug problem solved! Dean, will follow all your advice...
Thanks!
Old 04-21-2021, 10:27 AM   #568
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.

Total Props: 54

The Tygon fuel line over hard polyurethane tubing will work as suggested but the brass tubing is easier to find and you can make your own barbs using one size up and soldering. Just make sure no nicks or sharp corners on the brass.
stegl is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-24-2021, 02:12 PM   #569
5546dug
RCC Apprentice

I am: Doug R
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 0

So today is drill hole in bell mouth day.

Thought I understood but after reading Gaspar’s manual pg 11 it says to put the engine exhaust 1 inch in front of the exhaust tube excluding bell mouth.

If I leave the inch between them the tabs on the carbon fiber mounting bracket from Amir at HAB don’t even make the bell mouth.

So is the measurement to the tube (1”) start from the back of the engine or the colored stainless cone back? It seems the only way to accomplish this to. At h somewhat what is in a pic on post #74.

Parts
X45
AvantiS f/w
HAB kit
Thanks guys.
5546dug is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-24-2021, 07:20 PM   #570
Wingnutz
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5546dug View Post
So today is drill hole in bell mouth day.

Thought I understood but after reading Gaspar’s manual pg 11 it says to put the engine exhaust 1 inch in front of the exhaust tube excluding bell mouth.

If I leave the inch between them the tabs on the carbon fiber mounting bracket from Amir at HAB don’t even make the bell mouth.

So is the measurement to the tube (1”) start from the back of the engine or the colored stainless cone back? It seems the only way to accomplish this to. At h somewhat what is in a pic on post #74.

Parts
X45
AvantiS f/w
HAB kit
Thanks guys.
dug/Doug,
I think you’re doing the same conversion I just maidened...X-45 into FW Avanti using HAB conversion kit. I simply drilled the holes for the tabs as close to the edge of the bell as would allow the bell to retain its strength. I had to drill twice as the on the first try, the bell wasn’t centred vertically in the fuse. Not high tech engineering, but it looked right and it works.
Turbine is out of Avanti and being fitted into my Gripen. Here’s the pic of the bell in the Avanti...complete with “extra” holes!
Good luck with it!
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	95E70710-A9EE-4AD4-89DB-763B106BC0F9.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	553.8 KB
ID:	1726271  

Last edited by Wingnutz; 04-25-2021 at 09:02 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in