Skis on an Apprentice? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 12-26-2016, 05:07 PM   #11
Mad_Mike
RCC Contributor

I am: Mike M
Radio of choice:
Taranis Q X7
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 3
Re: Skis on an Apprentice?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Thanks Bill.

Didn't want to convince you of anything, just wanted to show what I've gone through.
Good luck and have fun whatever you do, Winter flying isn't for everyone but it sure is for me.

Wednesday looks great here for the 9-1/2 pound LT-40 on tiny skis.
Mad_Mike is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:12 PM   #12
cessna180
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: mike z
Radio of choice:
spectrum/futaba
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 4

Here is an Apprentice that I am installing skies for a client. I have also converted many Apprentices to a taildragger configuration. Very simple just remove the existing battery box that has the gear attached and reverse it and re-glue. Do not forget to remove the nose gear stuff. Install a small tail wheel. No more nose overs and much better ground handling on longer grass which seems to be the norm at our field. And of course real pilots fly taildraggers, models or full-size. Also are some photos of skies on a Multipex Mentor and a full size Taylorcraft. The installations are similar to actual installations on a full size Taylorcraft. The tunnels are cut out of aircraft plywood and the bottoms are also plywood, bunge cords are available from sewing shops. This install works great and I think looks good too.
Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1196.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	463.2 KB
ID:	1134105   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1195.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	535.9 KB
ID:	1134113   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0431.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	459.8 KB
ID:	1134121   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0432.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	564.0 KB
ID:	1134129  

Name:	125.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	340.3 KB
ID:	1134137  
cessna180 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:21 PM   #13
Mad_Mike
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Taranis Q X7

Great pics Mike!
More on the bungee cords please.
Are they shown in the first 2 pics?

Old 12-28-2016, 04:29 PM   #14
cessna180
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
spectrum/futaba

The bungees are about 1/8 inch in diameter and I purchased them at Lens Mills store in Woodstock ON. They should be able to be purchased at any sewing shop. The brackets screwed to the fuse. are just the small plastic ones left over from??? or you can purchase metal ones. Then the bunge is inserted into a 4/40 clevis, a drop of cyano and shrink tubing that has adhesive. Yes they are shown on the first 2 photos, I just did one size as I ran out if material.
Michael
Old 01-02-2017, 11:22 AM   #15
cessna180
RCC Senior Contributor

Radio of choice:
spectrum/futaba

A couple of photos of our New Years day fly in. Apprentice on floats and my Mentor on wheel skies. Both work well in the snow.
Michael
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1197.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	579.2 KB
ID:	1137329   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1198.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	613.5 KB
ID:	1137337  
Old 01-02-2017, 01:02 PM   #16
geopat
RCC Apprentice

I am: Pat S
Radio of choice:
DX6

Total Props: 0

I put the CJ skis on my apprentice last week. Haven't had a chance to take it out to the field yet though.
The skis are meant for a 5/32 axle and fit sloppy on the apprentice so I used some 5/32 brass rod to make a spacer.
The two rear skis weigh around 160g and the floats are around 300g so the wight shouldn't be a problem.

Ran the floats last winter and they got kinda beat up on the hard snow.
geopat is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:32 PM   #17
Richardse
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0

I'm also thinking of adding some skiers on a future plane. I'm a skier as well, so it's a bit oxymoron. I am actually going on a few ski trips every year with my friends when I get the chance to. We have bought some exciting equipment from blue House skis And it's always great to be able to use them in some fresh snow. I know it seems irrelevant, but I really love seeing planes landing on water. Anything related to skiing, be it water or snow it's definitely exciting! Are you guys into skiing at all? Where do you get your equipment from?

Last edited by Richardse; 04-26-2021 at 09:51 PM.
Richardse is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:02 AM   #18
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 75

I have done a fair bit of experimentation with skis in soft deep snow (anything will work on packed snow) and Cessna180 is on exactly the right track! The skis that the hobby industry flogs are junk but some of them could work if extensively modified.

Planes on trike gear do not work in soft snow at all unless you use floats. Period! Hard pack only and then wheels work just as well.

Soft snow requires short wide skis with the pivot point 2/3 of the way back and a slight up on the tip pre-load. When installed on a tail dragger no powder snow is too deep!
Old 04-21-2021, 01:22 PM   #19
Mad_Mike
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
Taranis Q X7

Snow type makes a huge difference.
Here is my Alpha while still a trike on skis. You can see the snow has a crust with a bit of fresh on top - the best IMO.
Taildraggers work way better but you can always take off if you put in enough effort.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP0336.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1725763  
Old 04-22-2021, 04:17 PM   #20
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: MERVIN BURKINSHAW
Radio of choice:
HITEC
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 75

The first time our club tried to fly off 2" of fresh snow was a complete failure. The guys all had trike geared planes and store bought skis. When I got there they had been trying to fly and not one of them had managed to get off the ground. All the planes did was plow snow and would not lift off. They were all exhausted from trying to shovel enough runway to get airborne.

"Don't bother," they told me "skis don't work!"

Ron Simonson, our zone director at the time told us how to make skis that worked but those guys were obviously not listening. "Forget the trikes" He said "unless you use floats. Make your skis short and wide. Wide is king in soft snow, the pivot goes 2/3 the way back and pre-load the tips. Have fun!"

I set my Kadet MkII down on the fresh untouched snow and took off in about 20 feet. I spent the rest of the tank of fuel doing stop and go landings much to thier disgust!

A couple years later a good friend brought his trike sport plane to our house to fly off the snow in the field. When he saw we had a foot of fresh dry powder snow he refused to take his plane out of the car because "There is no way we can fly in this stuff!"

I brought out my Sig Citabria, fired it up and set it down. The snow came up to the windows, the lower 1/2 of the prop arc was blowing a path and the tail group was out of sight. At first it wouldn't move but by wiggling the tail group back and forth it started to move forward and out of the cloud of blowing snow it came! Up on top the snow and away!

Three of us had a total hoot that afternoon flying it in turns and burnt off 2 tanks of fuel doing touch and goes and watching the cloud of power snow each time it touched down.

So there you go guys! Listen up to good old Ron and have fun. Or don't and sit at home and wait for better conditions... your choice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in