LIPO power supplies and gas generators - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric Flight Discuss Electric Flight in Canada

Old 04-19-2021, 04:36 PM   #1
Sparrow
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Michel
Radio of choice:
Powerbox Core

Total Props: 2
LIPO power supplies and gas generators

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Good afternoon,

This is for the electric flyers using + 6C LIPO batteries.

There seems to be a drought Iím finding now on AC power supplies here in Canada. So I thought to post this observation which is compounding my quest with larger electric airplane Lipo battery charging needs. The solution is to potentially buy a better CSA approved power supply which I have sourced at the specially stores for ham radios. So I was thinking to ask if anyone else is finding this out?

I have a question for the large electric airplane flyers. Concerning the needs to charge at the field with a small gas generator can you please recommend what you have been using to meet your needs?

I know why not just use gas engines to fly RC airplanes but I got the electric bug and Iím liking it a lot!

Last edited by Sparrow; 04-19-2021 at 07:05 PM.
Sparrow is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-19-2021, 04:59 PM   #2
Propworn
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dennis P
Radio of choice:
hitec
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 35
Re: LIPO power suppliers and gas generators

Some electronics like your charger/monitor do not play well with the cheaper generators. I use a champion 3200 watt inverter generator. Unlike the cheaper generators this one produces pure sine wave power same as regular power to your house. Electronics operate better and without any access build up of heat. An inverter type is the way to go. Mine is also electric start which is nice. I have a parallel board and I have charged six 6 cell packs all at once using two server power supplies giving me 47 amps at 24 volts to my charger.

Dennis
Propworn is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:03 PM   #3
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 54

Most power supplies for the use in ham radio will likely be pricey as they would be very well filtered for communications use . As for generators if really needed and to keep your flying buddies happy a Honda 1000 should handle the job well. Yamaha my also work well but compare the DB noise output.
My charging requirements (6c-3700) work well off my truck so haven’t had to hall out my Honda yet
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-19-2021, 05:42 PM   #4
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
DX18Stealth

Total Props: 20

Generator, can’t go wrong with Honda. I have a 2000, a buddy has a 1000 and his definitely works hard when charging 2 large packs. Power supplies, I swear by SkyRc efuel units but know that Hitec and Spektrum units get good reviews.
Old 04-19-2021, 06:03 PM   #5
Sparrow
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Powerbox Core

Gentlemen, thanks for the replies I appreciate the super quick responses!
Old 04-20-2021, 05:01 PM   #6
Sparrow
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Powerbox Core

Re: LIPO power supplies and gas generators

From my understanding of Lipo’s a 6s 5000mAh you really need a 250-300W charger. At one C it would be 5 amp and at 2C should be charging at 10 amps.....

5 amps *4.2v * 6 = 126 watts
10 amps * 4.2v * 6 = 252 watts.

With that understanding and looking into the future of potentially larger airplanes and charging two packs at once a Honda Ultra-Quiet 2200i would do nicely and then some. All that’s left for me to do is to look for a rugged power supply. Which adds another question. Changing at 12 volts or 24. Your thoughts please.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:48 PM   #7
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.

Total Props: 54

Many of Lipo producers used to have multi C charging rates but lately they are going back to 1C rates . Not sure why . But what I am sure ; you will get differing opinions on that and everyone is an expert in their mind .
I use 1C and have no problems with that . Also a lot has to do with each charger as they may flip from CC to CV at differing charge stages . If all you require is up to 600 watts for charging then the Honda 1000 will handle it , quieter and lighter.
I use a Honda 2000 and have never come close to using it all and even when plugged into my RV. Again everyone has differing needs .

Last edited by stegl; 04-20-2021 at 07:53 PM.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:49 PM   #8
Wbarre53
RCC Apprentice

I am: Wayne B
Radio of choice:
Specktrum DX8
# of RCs: 18

Total Props: 1

For my chargers I use old computer server power supplies which are high quality, high current and readily available. There are many brands and sizes that work such as Compaq, Dell, HP, etc. And there is also lots of info on the internet on how to wire them up. I use two server supplies hooked up in series with one unit modified to isolate the ground to provide 24v dc. These supplies can be had used for $20 or $30 more or less depending on size but must be server power supplies not just regular computer power supplies. The server power supplies are 12v dc high current.
Wbarre53 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:17 PM   #9
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
DX18Stealth

Total Props: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
From my understanding of Lipoís a 6s 5000mAh you really need a 250-300W charger. At one C it would be 5 amp and at 2C should be charging at 10 amps.....

5 amps *4.2v * 6 = 126 watts
10 amps * 4.2v * 6 = 252 watts.

With that understanding and looking into the future of potentially larger airplanes and charging two packs at once a Honda Ultra-Quiet 2200i would do nicely and then some. All thatís left for me to do is to look for a rugged power supply. Which adds another question. Changing at 12 volts or 24. Your thoughts please.
So, at 100cc equivalent (2S2P) you will want to charge 4 packs at a time. Depends on what you see in your horizon...
Old 04-20-2021, 08:29 PM   #10
Sparrow
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Powerbox Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Gauvin View Post
So, at 100cc equivalent (2S2P) you will want to charge 4 packs at a time. Depends on what you see in your horizon...
Hi Terry,

Hopeful lost horizons as in being in Shangri-La with bigger electric airplanes! Iím still trying to get my head around in figuring out whatís up and so far all help is appreciated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in