Here's one Everyone should read.... - Page 10 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
MAAC Model Aeronautics Association of Canada discussion area.

Old 01-14-2022, 01:19 PM   #91
dwdl21
RCC Apprentice

I am: Dwatne D
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 1
Re: Here's one Everyone should read....

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpy01 View Post
With respect, "We" are not discussing anything.

YOU are making serious personal allegations against sitting members of our association's board of directors. You have further disclosed that you have confidential "sources" that would indicate you may have received privileged communications from them. That may be true, or, it may be made up. We have only your accusations.

We are asking for actual evidence, beyond your personal opinion.

If this is your hill to die on, I strongly suggests you present the evidence to all, because what you are doing publicly to those you name is simply wrong without it, regardless of which side anyone falls on any of said issues.

Makes no difference to me if you post your accusations all over the place, but I do worry that you will wind up with fallout you did not consider.

Take it as friendly advice.
Could you please explain explain what you mean by "I do worry that you will wind up with fallout you did not consider" Is that a threat?

Last edited by dwdl21; 01-14-2022 at 01:50 PM.
dwdl21 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-14-2022, 01:36 PM   #92
Wwebbsolution
RCC Apprentice

I am: David W
# of RCs: 20

Keith,

I wont argue that every ZD in MAAC has their volunteer act 100% together and that some of the content may or may not have been available at the time of the request. That wasn't the point of my post. Requests of this nature can be handled with respect but the option to do otherwise is on the table and used regularly.

Your response if given to the many ZD's who voiced concern would have been an excellent reply. What was extended to them that I have refrained from posting was nothing appropriate. What was relayed was, much like we have seen here a personal attack on a ZD's capabilities, inappropriate and toxic language and really it has no place in the organization. These challenges are driven by personality conflicts, broken trust and a long history of clashes. If left to their own devices nothing will change. We need mechanisms of accountability in MAAC and we have almost none at this point.
Wwebbsolution is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-14-2022, 01:57 PM   #93
athol
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: AtholC
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX9be & RadioMaster TX16S, older 72MHz JR X347
# of RCs: 6

Ah, a breath of fresh air and sanity does prevail @FlyingTye - well done! There is a misconception at the MAAC Board that they (the Board) not not have to be considerate of the membership. This is I believe, the reason why there is so much lack of interest in the General MAAC Membership getting engaged. It is all for naught, when the Board doesn't care one iota about the members. I see parts of the world where aeromodelling is thriving... and parts where interest is waning. We all need to focus on opportunities for growth and not be content with the status quo.
We need more @Wwebbsolution, @FlyingTye and @Mr Toad
athol is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-14-2022, 02:09 PM   #94
CCA-Dave
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

Total Props: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingTye View Post
One thing I'm noticing from this discussion is that it seems that those on the highest levels, those who are making the decisions, do need to pay more attention to what the membership is looking for. If numbers are declining, then clearly the Association isn't meeting the needs, or wants, of the membership. It would also show that there maybe isn't enough initiatives for driving new membership flowing from the top.

On the flip side of this, so much more can be done at the club level that doesn't involve any of the higher-ups, that will ultimately drive membership increase in MAAC. Again, though, it should definitely be encouraged more from the top level.

It is definitely a bit discouraging to hear of actions being taken without consultation, ie: the FAI discussion. Although competition flying is definitely a niche aspect of the hobby, it is enjoyable to many MAAC members. For those who want to increase their skills at a given genre of flying, competition in that genre is, by-far, the best way to do it. If MAAC leadership is of the opinion that encouraging and supporting competition flying is wasted effort, they're flat-out wrong. I fly with a number of different clubs in my area and I can confirm that competition flying drives a lot of the people in those clubs to be better pilots, which in turn creates more excitement to see people improving. Think of it as positive peer pressure.

Does everyone want to compete? Certainly not. Does it make sense to cut ties with the organization that allows pilots to compete in national and international competitions? Also, certainly not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by athol View Post
Ah, a breath of fresh air and sanity does prevail @FlyingTye - well done! There is a misconception at the MAAC Board that they (the Board) not not have to be considerate of the membership. This is I believe, the reason why there is so much lack of interest in the General MAAC Membership getting engaged. It is all for naught, when the Board doesn't care one iota about the members. I see parts of the world where aeromodelling is thriving... and parts where interest is waning. We all need to focus on opportunities for growth and not be content with the status quo.
We need more @Wwebbsolution, @FlyingTye and @Mr Toad
Quoting @FlyingTye so others don't have to go back and find it in previous pages like I did.
Engines: Electric
Models: Aircraft, mostly warbirds. Primarily ARF Balsa with some foam. Various surface vehicles.
Vehicles: Many classic Beetles, a Ford Falcon, a couple of MG's, an Audi...and a Bricklin!
CCA-Dave is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-14-2022, 02:49 PM   #95
Sharpy01
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Marc S

Total Props: 111

wouldn't want the actual point of my thread to be forgotten.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpy01 View Post
It's rare I see a ZD report in the MAAC Mag that I feel ALL members should read, but here's one:

HOW TO WEAR MULTIPLE HATS

Before I wax poetic in this article... did
you read the September-October issue
of Model Aviation Canada? WOW – that
entire issue may have set a new standard
for build stories. My favourite is the Tutor
story on page 42, and of course, the large
model pics on page 74! Not to mention the
glider article on page 47 (our Editor reminds
me) – great stuff!
Back to Zone D, many thanks for all those
who supported me in my re-election quest.
This is the fifth time in my life where I had
to mount an election campaign as opposed
to being acclaimed (I did that five times
too) – elections are a good exercise in actual
democracy and an opportunity to get to the
heart of issues – which we did, somewhat.
So now onto some clarifications on what
the position I just won really entails.
Hats - I want to introduce you all to my
#1 “boss hat” – the guy you elected to serve
all of MAAC – Director Randall Hepner.
What?
Most members don’t really understand
MAAC structure – MAAC is not a bigger
version of a club, and a Zone Director’s first
job/loyalty is not to the Zone that elected
him.
Huh?
MAAC, the organization that you, the
member or Club freely joined, is a legal
entity; a not-for-profit Corporation and
is governed by the Canada Not-for-profit
Corporations Act – serious boring legal
document.
When you elect a Zone Director,
you elect me to sit as a Director of the
MAAC Corporation. By the Act, MAAC
constitution, and by-law structure, the
Board of Directors is the entity you, the
members, entrust to run MAAC. (MAAC
is not run by “Zone Directors” – there is a
difference).
The member’s role in this is setting
guidelines and even limits by submitting
Recommendations or Resolutions at their
Annual Zone meetings for consideration
and passing at the Annual General Meeting.
That is how MAAC works…. or is supposed
to work.
Outside the formal AZM/AGM process,
members and clubs do have a direct pipeline
to the MAAC decision makers -- the Board
as a whole -- via their Zone Director – but
there is a catch, which is more than a bit
tricky.
While a Director comes from an
‘administrative’ Zone and should be aware
of the member issues within that zone,
he does not specifically represent those
members/issues when participating as a
Director at Board meetings.
A Director’s primary job on the Board
of Directors is to protect MAAC – the
organization. Directors take a big picture
view of MAAC and most decision making
requires at least 50%+1 of the Board to
agree on any issue. This is by design and
prevents special interests/individuals from
having unfair influence or control. It is
designed so that issues are agreed upon by
the majority.
Directors are also legally bound to fully
support all prior and properly made Board
decisions – even if their Zone members
opposes it. Ultimately, if a Director finds a
Board decision so onerous he can’t support
it, then the expectation is he resign from
the Board. Rogue Directors remaining on
a Board is not good for MAAC because
MAAC needs to be one organization, one
team – not 13 individuals doing their own
thing.
The duty to the organization first, before
the Zone, even goes so far as to require
Directors to intentionally not succumb
to the more vocal individuals or special
interest groups in their zone or other zones
– no matter how vocal or unfortunate their
tactics.
For example, if a small and vocal group in
Zone D started a national e-mail campaign
to try to induce Directors to take a position
that is contrary to a properly made Board
decision or that would be damaging to
MAAC, the Board would be bound to refuse
that.
These small groups might try to counter
that the Directors are being undemocratic
because they are not listening – BUT they
would be wrong. The founding members of
MAAC very intentionally and democratically
choose our organizational model to prevent
exactly that type of pressure/bullying
tactics from small groups or individuals –
key to that is the Directors’ responsibility to
protect the organization first and foremost.
So, a good Director will, from time to
time, have to explain in an honest manner,
why any singular idea or issue was decided
by the Board for the good of MAAC. A
‘bad’ Director will try to hide from that
responsibility, perhaps so he can be viewed
as popular.
Perhaps this is because members can
remove Directors if they feel strongly enough
and two-thirds of the zone agrees... an article for
another day perhaps.

AUDITING MEETINGS

As a reminder, members are allowed to listen
in to any open Board meetings, and I strongly
encourage every member to do so and see which
Directors are supporting which issues. Listen to
the commentary and the votes taken. The entire
Board is responsible to all of the members in
how they exercise the incredible power they are
entrusted with. I have been sending out Board
meeting notices and general agendas for more
transparent communications and will continue
to do so unless member prefers to not know.
I heard many issues at the Zone D AZM and
the Board will be trying to move the ball forward
on many related fronts. For example, we are
crafting an all-encompassing Code of Conduct
that will hopefully allow some folks to see the
light – antics of yesteryear have no place in
a modern federally regulated safety-sensitive
industry with many eyes watching.
It’s a new day for MAAC folks -- time to move
on and make MAAC fun again.
Old 01-14-2022, 02:51 PM   #96
Sharpy01
RCC Supreme Contributor

.... the other worth reviewing

Originally Posted by Morison View Post

I've considered if I should post on this topic or not, and maybe I've made the wrong choice here... but:

There are significant changes coming to MAAC in the next year, one way or another.

• With the retirement of our Sec/Treas of 43 years, the business model will almost certainly change, and I would expect that a company specializing in NPO management will be contracted to some degree or another. (to be clear... not Morison Communications over the long-term)

• With the term limits in force now, we will see 5 directors replaced this fall, making 8 of 13 directors new to their roles between last year and this.

• There will be an election of an Executive Committee before the next AGM. Although the President is in the middle of a two-year term. (Interestingly, Policy says President is a 1 year term while Bylaws say 2... and Bylaws would take precedence)
(important note: MAAC Policy - 11.1.01 through 11.1.05 - is clear that the Executive is charged with the day-to-day operations of the association, with very few and specific restrictions on their authority, which are outlined in 11.4.)

It is also important to understand that our current President was not only elected by a majority of the board, but also re-elected to that role for a second term. Similarly, the executive committee was also elected to their positions through a board vote, meaning they have the confidence of the Board as a whole.

That said, ANY of the executive members, including the President, can be removed by a majority vote of the board should the board lose confidence in them. (Policy, 11.7)

Good governance in MAAC relies on several things happening.
• Directors who are elected by the board being engaged with their roles and making decisions that are in the best interests of the corporation.
• The Directors electing an Executive committee to oversee the general operations of the association, and trusting them to do so.
• The Directors electing a President they trust to perform that role in a way that reflects board decisions and direction.

Of course a board of 13 voting members will have a 'political' component to the decisions. This means the directors who 'get along' with everyone will have more success with getting things done than will a director who makes no effort to be liked... no matter how correct they are in their assertions. That's politics 101.

As an observation - with no intent behind it - Zone Directors have historically been acclaimed to their positions with no opposition. (Although we've seen two contested elections in the past two years.)
I also believe that most directors come in to their roles with the best of intent, but are quickly overwhelmed with the depth of the role and responsibility to the corporation, and could be given better training on how that role works. Much of what I see happening in the meetings I audit is often partially fed by a misunderstanding of the association's bylaws and policy. (which is understandable, as the two documents often give different direction)

When it comes to 'freedom of speech', I've always said that MAC Magazine should (and does) allow for dissenting opinions and critical commentary... as long as it meets some basic standards that exist to protect myself - as publisher - and the association. Namely:
In short, these guidelines are:
• Above all else, provide a positive forum to celebrate everything the hobby has to offer.
• Promote any and all activity that falls under MAAC’s umbrella, and is done within MAAC’s Safety Guidelines.
• Be a vehicle for the President, Executive, Board of Directors, Committee Chairs, and members to share stories, thoughts, ideas, and even to challenge actions and decisions in a positive and proactive manner.
• Do not allow any comment or speculation that puts words in the mouth of other people or groups.
• Do not allow any content that could be considered libellous or destructive.
• Work to avoid content that is aimed at being solely divisive.
(bolding added)

Not stated, but what should be clear, is that submissions need to be factual and opinions must be able to be supported. Similarly, the magazine should clearly be seen as not a venue for personal attacks.
Old 01-14-2022, 02:56 PM   #97
Sharpy01
RCC Supreme Contributor

And now a third post worth revisiting.

Co-Authored by: Richard Barlow

How MAAC Works

Corporation Canada gives us two basic models upon which we can operate our organization, MAAC. These models can become as complicated as we wish. The first is the Presidential Focused organization in which the President and the executive branch work very much like elected dictators following the platform upon which the general membership gave implied approval in the general election.

The second model and the one our forebearers in MAAC chose for us, is perhaps harder to work with but much more “member responsive”. It is the Board-Centered Organization in which the Board of Directors is considered to the dominant policy and decision making body. It is elected directly by the general membership in the Zones which gives regional representation; and in turn the board elects the president.

Our board of directors having the power to make decisions and policy, leaves the president quite powerless, except for his influence and his ability to “sell” his point of view to the directors. Consequently, the individual member in any region or zone in Canada is as close as his ZD’s phone to influence the direction he may want MAAC to take.

To a large degree, the same is true of the Executive Committee which is made up of zone directors. They can make all the decisions they want but none of them can come to fruition until they convince the rest of the directors from across the nation that “this is a good thing”, when it comes to policy or constitution affairs. On the other hand, the Executive Committee is charge with the responsibility of running the day to day operation of MAAC through the office staff, following policy and the constitution as directed by the Zone Directors. This is again saying that the individual member may be as close to the running of MAAC as he wants to be.

Again, our forebearers chose the difficult way, so as to have the control of the association as close to the individual member as possible. In doing so, they, our forebearers, have the constitution and policy well protected from individuals or specific interests groups that would have their own way with MAAC without convincing a large majority of modellers from across the nation that their point of view was a good thing for all.

To change an individual policy, an individual or group only has to convince 50% plus one of the Zone Directors to take a point of view. Some times a hard thing to do! This is usually, but not necessarily done by via a recommendation from the Zone Meeting to either the board of directors or to the committee responsible. To change the constitution and by-laws, the proposal must come to MAAC from the Zone Meeting, as a resolution, having achieved a two thirds majority. It has to be published, to all members, usually in the MAAC Mag, prior to the directors meeting so all comments can be considered. At the directors meeting a recommendation will be formulated to take to the Annual General Meeting where the resolution must again achieve a 2/3 acceptance. This is the protection and the difficulty we have received and enjoy from our history and Corps Canada.

Have ANY of you put ANY of these ideas forward at a Zone meeting? Was it denied by the members cuz if so that’s the end of it.

Last edited by Sharpy01; 01-14-2022 at 03:05 PM.
Sharpy01 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-14-2022, 03:27 PM   #98
Sharpy01
RCC Supreme Contributor

And perhaps the two most on point paragraphs in this “discussion” ……. In Mr Barlow’s own words…

To a large degree, the same is true of the Executive Committee which is made up of zone directors. They can make all the decisions they want but none of them can come to fruition until they convince the rest of the directors from across the nation that “this is a good thing”, when it comes to policy or constitution affairs. On the other hand, the Executive Committee is charge with the responsibility of running the day to day operation of MAAC through the office staff, following policy and the constitution as directed by the Zone Directors. This is again saying that the individual member may be as close to the running of MAAC as he wants to be.
Again, our forebearers chose the difficult way, so as to have the control of the association as close to the individual member as possible. In doing so, they, our forebearers, have the constitution and policy well protected from individuals or specific interests groups that would have their own way with MAAC without convincing a large majority of modellers from across the nation that their point of view was a good thing for all.

Wise words….and perhaps a stark example of: “rules for thee, but not for me”

😉
Old 01-14-2022, 04:17 PM   #99
Morison
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Keith Morison

Total Props: 26

Quote:
If numbers are declining, then clearly the Association isn't meeting the needs, or wants, of the membership. It would also show that there maybe isn't enough initiatives for driving new membership flowing from the top.
That's a big leap. Exit surveys of members who aren't returning would shed a LOT of light on why they are leaving and, more importantly, if they are leaving the hobby or just leaving MAAC. Over the years MAAC has historically lost about the same number of modellers each year, but the number of members replacing them hasn't kept pace with the loss. But, that trend goes back over a decade.

MAAC's membership trends are fundamentally divided in nearly equal thirds. The 'casual' member who is around for about three years. The involved member who is around closer to a decade, and the Lifers. Looking at the age of our membership, many are simply dying off - to be blunt - and we are seeing fewer 'lifers' filling that void.

One of the things that some people have a hard time accepting is that MAAC members only make up about 20% of the sales of RC models through the major retailers. Similarly, there were something like 80,000 basic drone permits issued by Transport Canada since the new regulations... and MAAC saw virtually no increase in membership. (COPA has since added a drone pilot membership category)

Quote:
On the flip side of this, so much more can be done at the club level that doesn't involve any of the higher-ups, that will ultimately drive membership increase in MAAC. Again, though, it should definitely be encouraged more from the top level.
From a marketing perspective, it is good to understand the 'sales funnel' at work. No matter what effort is made at the national level, the prospective member's first 'real' interaction is likely to be at their local club. The local club aslo benefits directly from the new members, often as a higher fee than what MAAC charges. That said, the national body does have a role in offering 'best practices' and ideas for how to build local interest. But no-matter what you do, it will be the local flyers who 'sell' the hobby and the community that is MAAC.

Another piece of marketing 'wisdom' is that the easiest person to sell to is someone you've sold to before. So, member retention is the first and easiest way to increase 'sales.' I took on membership coordinator for a motorsports club I was involved with and that was seeing massive drops in memberships being taken out. I sent out a letter (real envelope and stamp type letter) to everyone who had been a member in the previous three years that basically just asked for the renewal. Ended up with something like 80% of non-renewals coming back... just because we asked nicely. The initiative paid for itself several times over.
Morison Communications - Publishers of Model Aviation Canada
Morison is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:21 PM   #100
Sharpy01
RCC Supreme Contributor

Now, there’s a discussion worth pursuing.

No finger pointing or blaming others…

… examine facts …..

…. Examine your actions, or inaction that contribute to issues

….. commit to strategies that YOU can put into action where YOU live and play

…. Stop waiting for some centralized body who know little about YOUR issues to solve YOUR local issues.

…. Just go do it and let your ZD work on the National stuff. (Refer to above written doctrine by Mr Barlow on how macro issues are managed)

…. Don’t like how national issues are being managed, refer again to Mr Barlow’s document on how to properly influence those big picture changes.

…. Lastly, accept when national decisions don’t fall in your favor and return to succeeding locally. If you believe a wrong decision has be made, refer back to Mr Barlow’s learned direction and try again through the process the following year.

Last edited by Sharpy01; 01-14-2022 at 05:33 PM.
Sharpy01 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in