At what point in size do you use two receivers? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Old 01-13-2022, 01:42 PM   #11
Propworn
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dennis P
Radio of choice:
hitec
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 56
Re: At what point in size do you use two receivers?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Like others have said I avoid the carbonite geared servoes. Had a few of the early ones fail just from bumping the control surface. In a 1/4:scale Cub flown in a scale manner just about any servo will do. However the temptation to fly unscale like can put quite a bit more force on those servos. Anything of size I only use metal geared digital servos because those servos are the last physical connection to your planes control surfaces.

In all the years of flying one receiver per model has always been sufficient. I have used addons that plug into the servo that use a separate battery pack to power the servos. The receiver has its own battery pack since there is very little load there is no perceptible voltage drop thus very little chance of voltage drop. All of the load from the servoes comes from a seperate battery pack through the addon.

These addons are sold under different names last one I purchased was from ElectroDynamics and it was an optical version.

Dennis
Propworn is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:19 PM   #12
Antares Sky
RCC Apprentice

I am: Glen H
Radio of choice:
Spektrum NX8
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 0

Thanks everyone for all of the great advice!
Lots of different options too choose from!
Will the AR8000 be adequate or should I get one of the latest telemetry RXs I’m wondering if the latest RXs are less likely to cause signal lose over the older AR8000 style.

Glen
Antares Sky is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-14-2022, 02:49 PM   #13
davidmc36
Driver, Airframe
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 73

The new Proc in the new Rx's has been lauded as superior in reception......not just in a small way either.

If I were to spend any actual money, new or used, it would be new generation should I be flying in any challenging situations.

Quiet field with no big interference sources around.......any Spek Rx with proper placement will work perfectly reliably too.
Weather Station
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-14-2022, 03:37 PM   #14
FWSPT
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Tactic 660, 650, Futaba multi series
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 2

For my Giant Scale models i prefer to have some redundancy on-board. One given the cost of the plane and equipment on-board i want some peace of mind should anything go wrong and two for safety purposes as large models make a lot more damage if they go out of control than a small foamie. I use the PowerBox System's power distribution devices, they are more pricey than other units but work great and are extremely reliable. Also when you get the more advance models such as the Competition and above they provide you with the ability to do servo matching, reversing and retract door sequencing direct from the unit. I find this come in quite handy for large models where you need to drive 2 servos or more on one channel without having to use Y harnesses. Not a fan of the Y's either.

They are more and more radios that come with the option of using 2 receivers already built in, my Futaba 16SZ has that std.
FWSPT is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-14-2022, 04:10 PM   #15
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10. Also use a DX7S for a few bind and fly.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 68

Found out a couple of years ago that apparently 2.4 signals can be blocked by fuel in fuel tanks so if installing a receiver , make sure that it is positioned away from tanks and metal motors and such. In this case , on taxi out , the turbine shut down with the required active failsafe . A remote receiver was added , placed in a better spot and the pilot was able to do his maiden flight later that day.
As for PowerBox they make some real nice stuff that covers just about every scenario. Use the right component for the right job and all should be fine.

Last edited by stegl; 01-14-2022 at 05:00 PM.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:58 PM   #16
FWSPT
RCC Junior Contributor

Radio of choice:
Tactic 660, 650, Futaba multi series
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegl View Post
Found out a couple of years ago that apparently 2.4 signals can be blocked by fuel in fuel tanks so if installing a receiver , make sure that it is positioned away from tanks and metal motors and such. In this case , on taxi out , the turbine shut down with the required active failsafe . A remote receiver was added , placed in a better spot and the pilot was able to do his maiden flight later that day.
As for PowerBox they make some real nice stuff that covers just about every scenario. Use the right component for the right job and all should be fine.
That's interesting for the signal blocking possibilities of fuel, never considered that could be an issue. We did have a few guys that experienced unexpected signal lost on their planes last season so i wonder if this was a factor. I know liquids do distort signals when immersed but i guess if the antennas are running on each side of the tank it could make the same effect.
FWSPT is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:09 PM   #17
JoeT
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JoeT
Radio of choice:
Was a Horusist (is that a word)? Now an X20ist
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 46

Many things can shield or attenuate 2.4g signals.
Any liquid
Batteries
Antennas being in close proximity to servo wires
Metal
Real carbon (ones that actually can move an ohm meter )
Etc.

Most loss of signal issues is due to installation.
My Skywing Build Log: https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/member.php?u=69479
JoeT is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:16 PM   #18
Propworn
RCC Expert Contributor

I am: Dennis P
Radio of choice:
hitec
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 56

That's strange in the 9 years of participation in the SAE Aerodesign all of the entrants used single receivers as we did. The teams flew micro, regular and advanced without a single problem. For the size of the model there was always lead or steel as the payload and most times no special positioning of the receiver was needed. The receiver might be shadowed by as much as 35 lbs of lead or steel and we never experienced any loss of signal. We used futaba, Airtronics, JR, Spectrum and mostly Hitec. Not one of them gave us any problems.
Propworn is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:34 PM   #19
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
DX18Stealth
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 29

I have never used 2 rx’s in 50 years, including 200cc size airplanes. In 50 cc and larger I do use power safe receivers.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:53 PM   #20
davidmc36
Driver, Airframe
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 73

So on 50cc and larger you use multiple receivers then.....if you are using PowerSafe, you have upwards of 4 receivers connected.
Weather Station
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in