At what point in size do you use two receivers? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Old 01-13-2022, 11:43 AM   #1
Antares Sky
RCC Apprentice

I am: Glen H
Radio of choice:
Spektrum NX8
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 0
At what point in size do you use two receivers?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi there,
I just acquired my first 1/4 scale cub with 110Ē wingspan and almost 6 foot in length. Itís powered with a 26cc CRRC-pro GF26I 2stroke engine.
Iím using a Spektrum NX8 transmitter and currently have a new AR620 receiver in the plane.
At what size of aircraft does one desire to start using two receivers and two flight packs? Iíve read about splitting up the left side elevator and aileron on one receiver and the right side and throttle on the other receiver.

Your thoughts and opinions please.

Glen
Antares Sky is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:05 PM   #2
scaleguy
IMAC/SA or NOTHING!
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JimmyD
Radio of choice:
JETI Duplex DS-24
# of RCs: ?

Total Props: 40
Re: At what point in size do you use two receivers?

Hi Glen,

What Rx were you planning to install and what's the Torque of the servos you are using?

I don't fly Spectrum/JR anymore but when I did I ALWAYS used the Power Safe Rxs in all my giant scale stuff so I could use 2 or 3 of the remote receivers spread out around the aircraft in various locations, away from the gas tank, and one mounted horizontally and one vertically for better signal coverage.

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...ID=SPMAR12310T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SPMAR12310T-450.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	1756625  
MAAC #14323L IMAC #3678
scaleguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:29 PM   #3
Antares Sky
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spektrum NX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaleguy View Post
Hi Glen,

What Rx were you planning to install and what's the Torque of the servos you are using?

I don't fly Spectrum/JR anymore but when I did I ALWAYS used the Power Safe Rxs in all my giant scale stuff so I could use 2 or 3 of the remote receivers spread out around the aircraft in various locations, away from the gas tank, and one mounted horizontally and one vertically for better signal coverage.
Hey Thanks for responding!
The receiver as stated in my post is the Spektrum AR620 itís 6 Chanel with telemetry. I have two aileron servos on a Y harness and two elevator servos on a Y harness, one Rudder servo and one throttle.
Just looked up the servos Hitec HS-5485HB 89oz for torque on the ailerons.
Canít see the rudder or elevator servos they are buried in the back of the fuse.
This is a secondhand aircraft purchased from the builder.

Crap!!! They are Karbnite geared servos, that are not too be used in gas airplanes! Apparently Kerbinite gears are brittle and are known to strip when Jared, bumped or used on shaky gassers!?!?

Glen

Old 01-13-2022, 12:48 PM   #4
FlyingTye
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Tyler P

Total Props: 5

I think the karbonite gears will be fine in a plane like that. They don't just fail from vibration, or hard landings.

I'd probably go with a receiver that will allow for at least one satellite to be plugged in, but in all honesty, that single 620 would likely be fine in that Cub. Just make sure you place it away from the fuel tank and batteries so that you're not getting blocked out by them.
FlyingTye is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:07 PM   #5
Sparrow
RCC Contributor

I am: Michel
Radio of choice:
Powerbox-Systems Core

Total Props: 2

Hello Glen,

When it comes to airplanes that have a significant amount of expensive equipment invested (high voltage servos, motors, power supply, etc,) it would be prudent to invest in redundancy for the receivers and power supply. Better safe than sorry.
Sparrow is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:09 PM   #6
HAL9KPCM
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Dave Z
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 64

I don't know if I have a general rule of when to do it or not, but I look at it like this. I'm currently putting together a Sebart Mini Avanti-S, not a big plane at all, but with an X45 Turbine, will probably be pretty quick. I'm also putting in a Booma RC Smooth Flite 16 power expander/gyro and it is two receiver capable. An extra receiver weighs very little, so why not install it?

My Heli: Futaba 18MZ 2x(JR GSR260Z Sports FBL, Zenoah G26H, Futaba CGY750 Gyro, Futaba BLS-351 cyclic, BLS-251 tail, Futaba BLS-451 Throttle. Gryphon voltage regulator).
HAL9KPCM is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:15 PM   #7
Mad_Mike
RCC Contributor

I am: Mike M
Radio of choice:
Taranis Q X7
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 5

Those AR620 RXs are great but I would not put one in a 110" plane. Spektrum claims full range but it only has one antenna so you lose the opportunity to orient antennae at 90* and in different locations.
Anything gas of mine gets an RX with a satellite.
Also, Karbonite is not to be used in gasoline powered aircraft due to vibration.
I've seen them fail.
Mad_Mike is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:34 PM   #8
Dennis Pedersen
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Dennis P
Radio of choice:
JR XG11 / Mikado V Control

Total Props: 20

I do not know much about Spektrum radios so I cannot help with your receiver choice but with sub 100oz torque servos running through a single receiver should not cause any issue and a cub does not have huge surfaces like a current 3D plane. Many years back I flew my 1/4 scale cub with 70 and 90 oz nylon geared servos on the surfaces with a single receiver on FM and a 30cc engine with zero issues. The one thing I try not to do with any planes is run Y harnesses. We have radios that easily power each servo separately so skip the Y harness and plug in each servo direct. In larger planes that run power direct from the receiver, I like a receiver that has a good power supply to the power bar like the one I attached in the photo below. In this situation the switch carries no load as it is a soft switch and the battery power has large wiring to supply power to the servos. The other option is running 2 switches so the it doubles up the wiring size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JR receiver.PNG
Views:	46
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	1756631  
Dennis Pedersen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-13-2022, 01:35 PM   #9
Antares Sky
RCC Apprentice

Radio of choice:
Spektrum NX8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingTye View Post
I think the karbonite gears will be fine in a plane like that. They don't just fail from vibration, or hard landings.

I'd probably go with a receiver that will allow for at least one satellite to be plugged in, but in all honesty, that single 620 would likely be fine in that Cub. Just make sure you place it away from the fuel tank and batteries so that you're not getting blocked out by them.
Thanks tye

The receiver is about 10 inches from the tank and 14 from the ignition CDI box.

Horizon Hobby claims that the chip that is used in the AR620 makes the range better then receivers with external antenna?!?!

I do have a AR8000 that has one satellite on it that could be used!?

Glen
Old 01-13-2022, 01:37 PM   #10
JoeT
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: JoeT
Radio of choice:
Was a Horusist (is that a word)? Now an X20ist
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 46

That's actually a personal choice, it's like buying an insurance policy.

For me, I like to keep things super redundant, I don't use 2 RX's on my foamies, because they are not that expensive to begin with. BUT for what I fly regularly I go overboard with insurance.

On all my 120cc planes, I use 1x2.4Gig RX with a 900Mhz Backup daisy chain (active active)
and 1 x 900mhz in active active configuration with the other 2.

We're fortunate to be able to run hyper redundancy and the 3 receivers all together are really inexpensive.

These go into my 120cc planes.
Each plane has a 120cc engine
9 servos
2 Battery Packs
Full Range of Telemetry, Batt, Left cyl temp, right cyl temp, RPM, RX Voltage and Feeder Batt Voltage, current sensors ets.

All the telemetry is not required but it is nice to have and warnings to be given when the Cyl Head temperature starts creeping towards 170 degrees C (hovering, knife edge spins usually get the temps up)

So bottom line, on the big guys I like to keep the insurance policy of multi RX
On the little guys, mostly winter flyers, no need to have hyper redundancy

it's about the economics

hope this helps
My Skywing Build Log: https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/member.php?u=69479
JoeT is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in