lazyace
RCC Contributor

I am: Dennis P
Radio of choice:
hitec
# of RCs: ???

Total Props: 9
Extended Road Trip?

Been busy getting everything ready for an extended road trip. A month in Newfoundland. Going to cross over at Ivy Lea then across the eastern US to North Sydney to catch the ferry. Plotted a half dozen airfields in the US, a few in the mainland Atlantic provinces and all the ones listed in Newfoundland.

Truck with truck camper and trailer with toys. Should be an interesting trip.

Anyone with tips on must see in Newfoundland would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Dennis
lazyace is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:40 AM   #2
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 39
Re: Extended Road Trip?

When you get to Port aux Basques check the notices if the "Wreck House" is active before heading out. Wicked bit of highway, especially for something light with some extra surface area.

Believe me, I know.

A bit further on is Blow Me Down park:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bl...!4d-58.3500156

Hwy 1 is really the only route through NFLD to the east coast and I found a lot of the scenery similar to northern ON.

My father spent quite a bit of time in NFLD and Labrador in the early 60's, wiring up airports in Gander, Iqaluit. Deerbrook, etc. and I often wanted to go there. Only thing I found was the weather at St. John's airport in the winter is abysmal.

Having said all that, the people were extraordinary. Funny, selfless and wise come to mind. Had a solution to anything we asked, usually within minutes.

Can't wait for some pics, vids and stories of how this turns out.

ps. If things haven't changed, bring bottled water to make your own coffee once in the Maritimes. Most of the truck stops we hit to get fuel, meals, etc, had well water pumped up close to their holding tanks. Only thing I remember that tasted worse was making coffee and Coolaid from sulfur water prevalent out in the county.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:00 PM   #3
lazyace
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
hitec

Looks like we get off the ferry about 19:00 so we will be heading for Cape Ray and somewhere around Cheeseman Provincial Park. Not interested in traveling at night even with the new LED lighting on the truck. To many mice out at night. Mice is plural for moose isn't it??????

We intend to wander at our own pace we have no places we have to be. Lots of things to see and do off the main highway. Stephenville is the first area with a flying club. The Bay St George Flyers.

Lots to see near and in Corner Brook

Humber Valley club is between Corner Brook and Deer Lake

At Deer Lake there is supposed to be a Husky gas station that has an amazing restaurant fill up then head north on 430 to Gros Morne National Park. When we have seen our fill then north toward the Viking Village at the north end of the peninsula. All the way to Cooks Harbor, St Anthony and places in between.

We are set up for extended dry camping so we are hoping to do a lot of boon docking or as the locals call it gravel pit camping LOL!!!!!

The only way is back down through Gros Morne and back to Deer Lake. If we missed meeting up with the Humber Valley group its a short hop from Deer Lake so we will have a second chance at meeting someone.

This is only the Western portion of Newfoundland. There are so many places I would like to see especially the out of the way places I think the wife and I may have to make some compromises so we can at least see most of the island.

I purchased a nice video camera I am hoping to get used to it so I can get some nice videos. Ya we intend on doing the three big things. Hoping to see icebergs, whales and see some puffins/birds up close. Quidi Vidi brewery is a must https://quidividibrewery.ca/ Gota try the iceberg beer. St Johns Water and George streets.

Then there is the Avalon Peninsula.

Wish I had two months. LOL

Because we like to camp off the grid I have made a half micron power filter set up with both silver and carbon block filters so I can pump from any water source. The camper has a 50 gal holding tank and 35 gal grey and 25 gal black water tanks. The trailer has a 3200 watt remote start inverter generator with six batteries between the truck, camper and trailer.

The ferry ride both ways was expensive but all told we are near 40 ft long. The truck has both a front and rear receiver so if things get tight I drop the trailer, get the truck and camper turned around and hook the trailer up at the front and work the trailer out till I can push it off the road and drive past and re hook up at the rear.

Thanks for all the info Gary

Dennis

Last edited by lazyace; 06-09-2019 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #4
lazyace
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
hitec

Boon Docking in Northern Ontario in Sept.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boon Docking1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	580.3 KB
ID:	1633289  
Old 06-09-2019, 01:41 PM   #5
lazyace
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
hitec

We can live and play comfortably for a month or more.
[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]
[/YOUTUBE]
Old 06-09-2019, 05:45 PM   #6
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 27

Nice setup Dennis! We cant see your trailer video though, its unavailable.
MECA 4762
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:36 PM   #7
lazyace
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
hitec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Klenk View Post
Nice setup Dennis! We cant see your trailer video though, its unavailable.
Something about copyright must be the song from the radio in the background. Think I removed it try it again and let me know. If not I will delete it and take another video layout has changed a bit.

Dennis
Old 06-09-2019, 08:06 PM   #8
Frank Klenk
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Frank Klenk
Radio of choice:
Futaba
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 27

Works good now. Nice trailer setup! Same trailer you had up in SSM a couple years back?
MECA 4762
Frank Klenk is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:01 PM   #9
lazyace
RCC Contributor

Radio of choice:
hitec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Klenk View Post
Works good now. Nice trailer setup! Same trailer you had up in SSM a couple years back?

Yes but there have been a few updates as shown in this video. First I extended the tongue so I don't make contact with the trailer and camper no mater how tight the turn.

Right side floor now has a power water filter setup so I can fill the holding tanks on the camper from any water source. One micron carbon block with silver for chemical filtration, and a one micron absolute ceramic filter.

3200 watt inverter, remote start generator.

Compressor

2 sealed canoe barrels for odorless garbage storage when off grid camping.

Front twin deep cycle batteries.

Left side floor milk crates strapped to wall for incidental storage

Two spare gas cans

Round pop up screen tent and spare tire fixed to wall.

Second level plane and wing storage and a few small kits to keep me occupied on those rainy days.

Front radio and charger storage along with stand for 2.5 horse outboard for canoe.

Gliders in tubes on wall.

Right side work bench

Right upper level plane storage

Upper front stereo system and power panel

Three high intensity LED in ceiling.

Left side more plane storage with wings strapped to walls.

Backing out shows the home made roof racks to put the canoe on.

This is an on going project that will get refined as time goes on.

Possibly a pivoting roof rack that I can raise a 14 ft aluminum car topper boat. Who knows what the future will bring LOL!!!!!

Old 06-09-2019, 08:09 PM   #10
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 39

Like the adjustable shelving. Used that in my build room for years, but wonder how you ensure it does not unlock during travel.

Asking as looking for ideas for the new hobby trailer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in