Old 10-18-2019, 04:59 PM   #1
NEW222
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Chancey C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 5
Control Throw Deflection

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
While setting up my trainer, I have already set up my controls. I went to measure them and they are less than the 'normal' throws given in the instructions. So with that said, is it alright to move the clevis on the control horns closer to the control surface? I hear different opinions on doing such, however, it is the only way I can get the throws mentioned. Also to note, the servo wheels/horns and control horns installed are the same dimensions and types shown on the plans if this makes a difference. I was going to get new smaller control horns, then realized it would be just the same as moving them up one or two holes if need be. So is there something else I am missing here, or is it just one of the joys of setting up a model?

Also, I am currently working on building a control throw meter/gauge to measure by degrees also, and am hoping it will be more accurate than trying to hold a ruler in place.

Thanks.
NEW222 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:26 PM   #2
chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curt H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 60
Re: Control Throw Deflection

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW222 View Post
While setting up my trainer, I have already set up my controls. I went to measure them and they are less than the 'normal' throws given in the instructions. So with that said, is it alright to move the clevis on the control horns closer to the control surface? I hear different opinions on doing such, however, it is the only way I can get the throws mentioned.Move them closer if you wish, should be no harm in doing that on a trainer even with standard servos.

I was going to get new smaller control horns, You will need longer horns on the servo, not smaller, so the outside has more movement at full deflection

Thanks.
Hope my answers in Red above helps you out somewhat.

You can fly Hitec or use the other "low tech" stuff!!

Forum Rules Link
https://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:40 PM   #3
NEW222
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Thank you. Just to clarify the second paragraph of the smaller horns. The ones I was going to replace were those on the control surfaces, not on the servos. Sorry for any confusion. Regardless, you had answered my question though. Thanks again.

Old 10-18-2019, 06:58 PM   #4
Terry Gauvin
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Terry J
Radio of choice:
DX18Stealth
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 7

Some radios, Spektrum for one, allow you to increase the control throws above 100%. You can find this in the servo menu with Spektrum.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:33 PM   #5
NEW222
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Gauvin View Post
Some radios, Spektrum for one, allow you to increase the control throws above 100%. You can find this in the servo menu with Spektrum.
But would that be hard on the servos?
Old 10-19-2019, 12:00 AM   #6
Daren71
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Daren M.
Radio of choice:
DX8

Total Props: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW222 View Post
But would that be hard on the servos?
No. Maybe 100% on the radio isnít 100% of the actual distance the surface can move. You can always adjust the radio until you get maximum deflection, then back off the radio percentage by a few, so no jamming can occur.

Daren
Old 10-19-2019, 12:47 AM   #7
NEW222
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Thank you.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:46 AM   #8
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 39

You have different options such as moving it out on the servo arm, (or mounting longer arms) or as you mentioned, moving it in on the control surface horn, Either will give more surface deflection for the same servo swing amount.

Having said that, more info will help determine the best solution.

What type of plane? High wing, etc?

Does this have one or two aileron servos?

How many channels does your radio have?

Asking as you can possibly modify your setup to have each aileron on its own servo and radio channel. That way you can tailor the amount of deflection each way to counter adverse yaw.

If not there are ways to get that same effect using simple geometry.

Note that programmable radio systems will offer options such as dual rates and expo. First allows you to set max control deflection for max stick throw and will have at least two separate and distinct allowances.

I bring this up since if active it can reduce the servo output amount and create the problem you are trying to fix here.

Expo sets the amount of servo deflection for stick deflection around neutral. This can increase or decrease the deflection, (I usually set it to decrease) for a specific stick deflection to help calm things down.

Mind you, full stick deflection still gives full control movement so does what you want there.

ps. Finding a club and instructor would be recommended. If experienced they should be able to have a boo at everything to determine if airworthy and that includes control throws, as well as balance.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:44 PM   #9
NEW222
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Plane is Top Flite Sierra 40 Trainer, high wing. One aileron servo on teh bottom of the wing. Radio is a DX6 G3.

As for finding a club and instructor, I do have both, but we will not meet till next spring. I have already talked to the instructor and he said he will look at it when we meet up. Plane is definately airworthy as I got it from a friend, just that I have not had to worry about setting something like this up before as all my others were small homade foamies. Balance right now is just a hair nose down, but I am awaiting a 5 cell Nimh battery and it should then be perfect without any added weight. Thank you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in