cosmith
RCC Master Contributor

I am: Cory S
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 24
DJI FPV Quad

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
It looks like nobody has started this thread yet, so why not me!

Curious what everyone thinks of DJI's new quad?

I've been flying whoops around the house nearly ever day and occasionally flying my 5" freestyle quad when I can get to the field. However, I've never had good googles, so the DJI FPV system was already on my radar.

Now that the quad is out, I've watched a ton of reviews, many of which are very negative. Here's the weird thing, even the negative reviews have made me want one.

Most of the negative reviews focus on it's inability to perform as well as the best freestyle quads on the market, crash durability and cost. My opinion is that the reviewers are missing the point, this quad is much more comparable to a long range setup with the extra weight and cost of GoPro mounted. When you think of it in those terms I think it does quite well.

I guess because my background is large scale 3d fixed wing, where most crashes are devastating, I can wrap my head around having a quad that needs to be flown with care. Additionally, stores such as Omniviewtech.ca currently stock parts for DJI drones, and the prices aren't outlandish...for example you can get a replacement arm with motor for a Mavic Air 2 with the motor for $40 CAD. I would expect them to stock parts for the FPV eventually as well. Additionally, this reviewer,
, intentionally tries to destroy the drone, and it performs quite well.

On the note of cost, if you do the math it really isn't that crazy. To build a long range quad, an HD video system, whether Shark Byte or DJI, a 4K capable GoPro, a battery, and radio system, you're right in the same ball park. I think it's just sticker shock because you typically don't buy everything all at once. Don't get me wrong, it's expensive, but not as crazy as what some people are stating. Admittedly, the battery price is crazy!

Long story short, I ordered one within half an hour of it's release. Once I determined it could do most of what I use my Mavic Air 2 for, while being a bit more engaging to fly, I figured I better get one before they sold out. I guess once I fly it a bit I'll determine if I keep it, the Air 2 or both! Which is another bonus with DJI, the resale value is good.

Curious to hear what everyone else thinks?

I'll update the thread when mine arrives and I have some flight impressions.
cosmith is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:56 PM   #2
cosmith
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Re: DJI FPV Quad

Mine arrived today, and I just came back from my first flight.

Build quality is fantastic from the quad, to the radio and the goggles. My first time flying with digital HD and first time with this style of goggle, I've only used analog box goggles in the past.

The video feed is completely next level, as I'm sure everyone that's used the air unit can attest to. Analog doesn't make sense after you try this, it's amazing being able to see tree branches and other small objects you usually miss in analog.

Flying is extremely easy in normal and sport mode. Normally that would make me get bored quick, but with the speed in sport mode and the ease with which you can whip around objects makes it pretty fun. I tried to do manual as well, but didn't have enough time to get it setup properly.

You can 'feel' the weight for sure. Definitely see some prop wash if you make sudden, jerky movements, but it really rewards high speed swooping turns around trees, etc. It's still lots of fun to fly, but you have to fly it different than a typical freestyle or racing quad.

After one flight, I think it is exactly what they advertise it to be. It's not a replacement for full blown acro machines or for photography drones, but somewhere in between. I think it will be amazing for chase footage and just low fuss flying around when you don't have much time or motivation.

I didn't even put an SD card in today, but based on reviews and what I saw in the goggles, I think the video is great if you aren't a professional videographer/photographer. If I were to get rid of my Mavic I'd really miss the hyperlapse modes. I'm sure this drone would work quite well with hyperlapse and quick shots, but I doubt DJI will do that and eat into Mavic sales. Of course it's only a 1 axis gimbal, but I think there is a lot that can be done with that in post and with digital stabilization.

I think it's a keeper, too bad I'm gonna have to remortgage my house to get more batteries!

Anybody else get one or thinking about it?
Old 04-06-2021, 09:23 AM   #3
Park
RCC Noob

I am: William B
Radio of choice:
Spektrum
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 0

Please keep posting your experiences with your DJI. I am thinking about getting one. I have been "riding shotgun when some of my buddies fly by using my own (old) Fat Shark goggles. Keeping oriented is a big problem for me, but I think it would help to know what is happening before it happens (as you would if you are the pilot).
Park is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:20 AM   #4
cosmith
RCC Master Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park View Post
Please keep posting your experiences with your DJI. I am thinking about getting one. I have been "riding shotgun when some of my buddies fly by using my own (old) Fat Shark goggles. Keeping oriented is a big problem for me, but I think it would help to know what is happening before it happens (as you would if you are the pilot).
Hey Park, I flew it back to back with my 5" 6S freestyle quad today. The freestyle quad is using the Caddx Vista with Nebula Pro. The video on the FPV Combo still takes it to another level...it is really good.

For learning, there's no question in my mind the FPV Combo is the way to go...with the only caveat being that it is very pricey. It is however very easy to fly in normal and sport mode. As far as orientation goes, I find everything is easier with HD video...I find I can see further away, I know what I'm looking at and have more reaction time. With analog, sometimes things would sneak up on me...an easy example is trees that don't have leaves, you can't really pick out branches on analog from any reasonable distance. With digital you can see the branches and react, with the video feed on the FPV combo they are even clearer.

Once you get around to acro mode it definitely isn't as nimble as a proper freestyle quad. You can definitely feel the weight but for me I don't find it less enjoyable, I just fly it differently. I still find it fun to rip around on sport mode sometimes as well...it's just a little more mindless, which sometimes is what I'm looking for.

I really love how I can let my family members experience FPV with it. My wife and both my kids have been able to fly it in normal and sport mode while I monitor on my phone. It really is a neat piece of kit, and I think all the negative reviews from the hardcore FPV guys are unwarranted.

I'd be interested to hear other's thoughts...there must be more of these floating around.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in