Bad Receiver Batteries - Page 6 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 04-08-2021, 03:01 PM   #51
RAMJET
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: ....Roger ..........
Radio of choice:
Spektrum IX 20 & DX 18 stealth
# of RCs: 100

Total Props: 89
Re: Bad Receiver Batteries

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I've had a couple of the electrodynamics a123 cells go bad when I did not understand how to correctly use the batteries , it was my fault for leaving them plugged into the plane for a month . I've tried to cycle A123 but found once they are gone they are really gone. The one thing that will kill a a123 for sure is letting the battery get too low or dead . once in this state they never seem to come back . Another thing you need to be aware of is they need to be balance charged every time , and like mentioned above you need to be on the correct setting . Too high a charge from being on the wrong setting will also destroy them .I'm not saying you cant destroy them but but with a simple understanding of the way the batteries work they will last for years . Nathan you need to understand what you've done to the battery to cause it to fail .

This is what I do and never have problems anymore .

Never deep cycle A123 , Many chargers will discharge the battery too far and destroy the battery before you even use it ..

Never fast charge A123 . max 500mah on the 1100 and 1a on the 2300 cells

Always balance charge a123 ..

NEVER let them go dead or overcharge or they will fail..

Last edited by RAMJET; 04-08-2021 at 03:14 PM.
RAMJET is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:36 AM   #52
floyd
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 21
Re: Bad Receiver Batteries

I just scrapped a receiver pack last night while checking my planes over for the season. It was a 4.8 2600mah pack that is at least 15 years old. It showed 4.34 volts after sitting in my basement for the winter. When I tried to charge it the volts went up quickly and the charger kicked out. I dropped the charge rate to 100mah with the same result, voltage on the pack went to high to charge. Its not worth playing around with as I always have new packs to use. Cheers Floyd

Last edited by floyd; 04-10-2021 at 11:29 AM.
floyd is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in