Frsky Taranis! thread - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 03-28-2014, 03:11 PM   #1
bcsaltchucker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
Frsky-Taranis
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 24
Frsky Taranis! thread

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
hey they just got a shipment in to Hobbyking. $175 usd with the alu case. So I ordered one today

maybe one of the best transmitter under $1000?
- ultra low latency
- 16 channels
- full telemetry, with volts, variometer, etc options
- S bus receivers
- long range receivers
- 8 channel receivers for $20, full failsafe, even some multi failsafe
- sliders, many 3 ways switches
- ball bearing gimbals
- advanced programming. also firmware upgradeable to open source for even greater progrmaming power limitless flight modes
-60 model memory

I don't really need one other than for the 60model memory, but I am going to try it out. All the features of a $1000 Tx and then some. Especially better than the alternatives for FPV.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1866206

bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:37 PM   #2
JoeT
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: JoeT
Radio of choice:
Was a Futabaist, Now a Horusist (is that a word)?
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 37
Re: Frsky Taranis! thread

I have friends that purchased the Taranis, they are fantastic radios for the money, also the nice thing about them is the support. There were problems with sticking trims, and once it was reported, Taranis incorporated the fix into the new transmitters.

So if yours sticks in cold weather, there is a fix.

Plus it's completely configurable, range of over 2Km with the FRsky ACCST Receivers.
JoeT is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:37 PM   #3
michaely
RCC Master Contributor

I am: michael o
Radio of choice:
JRx8103, FrSky Taranis & Horus 10x

Total Props: 14

Scott,

Congrats on ordering a FrSky Taranis Tx.
... As you probably are aware, unless you also ordered from HobbyKing - from which you are getting the Tx - what they call a "power adapter" - you can't use a regular battery charger plugged into the Tx to recharge the Tx battery as the Tx already has a built in battery charger and uses a 12-13 volt, .5amp output 'power supply'. There have been some posts on the rcgroups thread you linked to discussing this.

Enjoy your new transmitter.

Michael
michaely is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:49 PM   #4
davidmc36
Driver, Airframe
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: David C
Radio of choice:
DX18 Stealth Taranis X9D+ DX3S
# of RCs: 1E

Total Props: 55

Pretty nice bit of kit for 175 beans. You did better than I did but I did not wait for HK to get more in. Bought from Graves at about 260 ish with case and Rx.

All they would have to do is raise the bar a notch or two in the hardware and it would blow every thing else out of the water. I'm using it for small Quads and it works just fine.

Just about limitless what you can program into mixes etc.

You can even record all you own sounds.
Weather Station
davidmc36 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:21 AM   #5
4*60
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: DSM
Radio of choice:
Taranis
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 23

I've been enjoying playing with mine. I like the idea that I can get 16 channels with 2 receivers and very little effort. Or 32 channels with a bit of effort and sbus tech.
also like the external module bay, good for PnP dsm2/x, Hitec, whatever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4*60 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:53 AM   #6
davidmc36
Driver, Airframe
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:

Just got an email newsletter from Aloft. Excerpt:

"FrSky
As you may know, FrSky has experienced amazing growth. As a result, they have been working on a new building that will allow them to increase production. The exciting news is they are now moving into the new facility. What does this mean for us? Less product outages! FrSky should be able to meet and exceed product demands in the coming months!"

Maybe this will be good news for when the Horus comes out, won't be as much waiting.
Weather Station
Old 04-02-2014, 05:41 AM   #7
deaconFlyer
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: B. McLaren
Radio of choice:
Taranis & 9XR
# of RCs: 12+

Total Props: 6

Underneath the hood there is OpenTX and also the free software package Companion9X. I have to say that the ability to upgrade the firmware in seconds is a major plus.

It is also nice to be able to tweak and test the transmitter setup on my laptop, or take the stick simulations over to a Flight Simulator before arriving at the field.

I have been known to store 5 or more setups for a new plane in memory (really easy to create and tweak in the software) then play with them at the field ultimately leaving one of them on my transmitter.

... and yes, I have brought my laptop to the field for a day of testing. You really have to get your head into this. The idea that the next generation of transmitters will incorporate BlueTooth is tantalizing to say the least.

https://code.google.com/p/opentx/wiki/OpenTx_FrSky_EN

http://www.open-tx.org/
... Luke 6:38
deaconFlyer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #8
davidmc36
Driver, Airframe
★ Site Supporter ★

Radio of choice:

I can see on board Bluetooth like the Graupner has for audio and telemetry app on Android to become more the norm and include pogramming software interfacing over it too.
Weather Station
Old 04-05-2014, 11:09 AM   #9
bcsaltchucker
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
Frsky-Taranis

Total Props: 24

A little worried about yet another Tx to learn how to program. But I really need the extra model memory, sliders, and extra channels. I am going to try their variometer too in my glider.

I have been living with Er9x for a couple years now and freaking love it for wide-open advanced programming, so I expect OpenTx to be kind of like that.

I also suspect I may sell my new Jeti Tx if the Taranis is all I need it to be.
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:47 PM   #10
sorkai
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Kai S

Total Props: 1

Have had mine for the last week, and being "An old Fart" (or slow learner) I can tell you there is a lot to get used to-Reason i bought mine I already had some FrSky RXes i have been using with the FrSky module i have on the Futaba T9 and secondly have switched over to Gliders and like to have the Vario capability,but you will find a lot of good instructional videos, here is a link to an bunch made by Scott Page :http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2042885
First thing you should do is replace the nicad battery pack with a LiPo, when you start playing with it you will be out of power in no time - Download Companion 9x, a fantastic program -- Model review has some good info here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU4U4OUcamM
P.S i have a tread on Sailplanes/Electro Gliders where a Guy "Dr.Crashalot" is offering his help- I have managed to set up my EasyGlider, but now comes the challenge to set up some full house models where I want Reflex , Chamber etc.
Have Fun with your new Toy
Kai
MAAC #71653
sorkai is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in