Old 04-05-2021, 02:44 PM   #1
NEW222
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Chancey C
Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Total Props: 11
Bad Receiver Batteries

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well, this has been quite a bad few last days here. Looking forward to getting things ready to fly for the season and started going through my batteries for my receivers as I did remove them for the winter as the planes were stored outside. All my batteries for my receivers were either NiMh or NiCd. All but one was tested and in use last fall. And this is also where it gets funny. Of the 2 NiMh batteries, 1 is LSD, the other a Jr, both 5 cell AA packs. After many cycles on the charger, both are taking out approximately 1000 mAh each on teh discharge, and taking in approximately 1600 mAh on charge on average.

The other 2 packs are 4 cell NiCd. one of them however appears to be still holding its own in both charge and discharge. The other is as above, non-reliable. But using Spektrum I am aware of the low voltage tolerences, and do not want to risk a plane over a battery that may trigger low voltage cutoff with Spektrum. So the good news is that I do however have a LiFe battery on order from GH, that will hopefully arrive this week or next. I will just be sharing this battery between airframes for now just to get me up in the air, whenever that will be.

I am still seriously considering keeping my 'bad' batteries charged and ready for use in a couple of 1/2a airplanes as they still hold what I believe is enough for a couple of flights. These are simple 2 channel planes with 2 micro servos in each, and for some reason they can use the weight up front being built tail-heavy by their builders (not me, they were second hand).

But this also brings forward a question relating back to last fall. While I was flying my trainer the last time out, I was on wireless buddybox. I had lost signal so I called it out to my instructor, and as well, he had no control as well. The plane did go in and was rebuilt. I have an AR500 DSM2 receiver in teh plane that had never been used before last year when it was installed in it. When we picked up the wreckage, immediately my instructor checked to see if we had control (we did not turn off neither transmitter till we did a check). And we both did have control. But we had no way to test the battery for load. Now I am wondering if the NiMh battery was unable to handle the load and is why we lost control momentarily? This is making me start to wonder now that I have noticed the numbers......
NEW222 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:15 PM   #2
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 59
Re: Bad Receiver Batteries

What I found is a lot of time you can have control movement on the ground, but under flight loads on the servos any deficiencies come out to bite. Same with compromised wiring, such as the "Black Wire Disease" that can corrode negative leads, switch terminals and any plugs or connections.

This is why I have now switched to all LiFE flight packs and transmitter batteries. Much more reliable with less self-discharge and much quicker rewind rates. Cost is reasonable as well. Stegl here on RCC builds up the packs on request and I just ordered another pair to add to the trio received a few weeks ago.

These have the current capacity to handle just about anything I can throw at them, including servoless retracts.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:24 PM   #3
cessna180
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: mike z
Radio of choice:
spectrum/futaba
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 4

In my opinion trash the batteries and buy new ones. Some flyers use cheap unreliable equipment to save money, and yet put the equipment into an expensive airframe. Makes no sense to me. Yesterday at our field one of our members test flew his new electric aircraft with a new battery and the flight was a successful, next flight on an old probably unreliable battery, not a happy ending.
Michael
cessna180 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 04-05-2021, 04:41 PM   #4
floyd
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 21

I've been using NIMH batteries exclusively for over 20 years. I don't charge or check them during the winter months. In the spring I check the voltage and decide then on how they held a charge. Any that seem low will get a cycle and then they are good or scrap.

NIMH batteries need to have a conditioning charge which should be the first charge. If not you could have a pack that will never take a proper charge. I have Nicad packs that are only rated for 600mah that I can fly for an hour on. Plus lots of NIMH batteries are over rated and will never get close to the rated charge. I've had 1800mah NIMH packs that only took 700mah after a full charge.

Cheers Floyd
floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:42 PM   #5
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 53

The other chemistry that is proving very useful when high power applications are not required ;are the Eneloop 2000 packs in either 4.8v or the more popular 6v packs . The Nimh Eneloops are great for sport flying aircraft as they will more than supply the power that a standard servo style plug can handle that’s either plugged into the receiver or standard switch harness . As mentioned , failure of your receiver pack at the wrong time is just false economy . Radio systems brand name cells are the lower end of the scale .

You may show great charge current in and great current out but the real separation between brands is what will that battery do under load when it has to perform ? How low does the voltage drop when under load ? Probably not great .

Now there are so called smart lithium batteries coming coming out that do all sorts of wonderful things for you
Because there is a circuit board inside the pack to do that for you , what happens in flight if a component fails
On that board ? . I say keep it simple and make it work.

Last edited by stegl; 04-05-2021 at 06:26 PM.
stegl is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:48 PM   #6
floyd
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 21

The best NIMH batteries I've ever seen are the HobbyKing 2300mah packs. Year by year everyone I've used has exceeded the 2300mah rating by far. Not many brands have that good of a rating. My 2300mah packs are good for 4-5 hours of flying without any issues. Cheers Floyd
floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:50 PM   #7
4stripes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Flyboy 1

Total Props: 16

RX battery voltage must be tested under load. This is when the saggy ones show up first. A simple led checker works well enough and can be plugged into the radio circuit anywhere to monitor the running voltage. Dirt cheap from eBay and others...
Cheap enough you can put one in each model to warn when things are going south.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EAA43959-AD3B-46CE-AA94-283B3810729F.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1722983  
Old 04-05-2021, 04:56 PM   #8
NEW222
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

Thanks all for the insights and recommendations. I have fully decided to keep the batteries for use exclusively on my land based vehicles, and 'Air Car', and my airboat, as these will just be used on the surface. The NiCd battery that is holding a good charge will still be used in my 1/2a planes, and all others will slowly go to LiFe batteries. One thing however that I do like about the old packs is that they do have some weight to them allowing me to move things around without the added need for lead, but in teh end, things will still weigh the same.

Also, for now, I will stay with the pack I have on order and swap it around as I need. This is just because I am still in my 'training' stage and will only be flying my trainer for now, and maybe one other. Thanks to the thing we all call Covid, I had to wait till August before I was allowed to go to the field anyways, so I may not be flying for a while yet anyways. Thankful that I now have a couple foam planes and a beautiful power glider to use as well in the interm!
Old 04-05-2021, 05:01 PM   #9
NEW222
RCC Pro Contributor

Radio of choice:
Spektrum

And just out of curiousity, what is the consensus about using a 2s LiPo and a Losi High Output 5A Lipo Regulator for powering a receiver? Curious as my electric planes use 800 - 1200 mAh Lipo batteries and just thought this may be another short term solution/option. Thanks again.
Old 04-05-2021, 05:06 PM   #10
4stripes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Flyboy 1

Total Props: 16

What type and size model are you trying to power?
5amp isn’t exactly high output in today’s models. I find 5amps not enough for most of my EDF jets. 20amp BEC’s are relatively inexpensive and will cope with all my requirements.

Last edited by 4stripes; 04-05-2021 at 05:12 PM.
4stripes is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in