New Drone Rules Tomorrow - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Multi Rotor Discussion Tri's, Quad's, Hex'as and more. Discuss anything multi-rotor, including multi-rotor stabilization and FPV setups.

Old 01-08-2019, 01:54 PM   #1
Bronson06
RCC Noob

I am: Bronson006
Radio of choice:
Taranis X9D Plus
# of RCs: 40

Total Props: 1
New Drone Rules Tomorrow

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Transport Canada (@Transport_gc) Tweeted:
Minister Garneau to announce new rules for #drones live on #Periscope at 10am (EST) tomorrow. Tune in and check it out! https://twitter.com/Transport_gc/sta...140496897?s=17

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Bronson06 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:39 AM   #2
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 38
Re: New Drone Rules Tomorrow

Just found this:

Quote:
The federal government has adopted strict new regulations to govern the use of drones in Canadian airspace prohibiting them from flying near airports and emergency scenes and ensuring that those operating them aren't drunk or high on drugs.

Transport Minister Marc Garneau is set to formally announce the new rules for remotely piloted aircraft systems at a news conference in Montreal on Wednesday.

A copy of the new regulations obtained by CBC News reveals that they are comprehensive. They require that drones be registered and that operators of larger drones be certified. The regulations also state who can operate them, where they can fly and what they can carry. For example, the regulations spell out that drones will not be allowed to carry living things and would require a special certificate to transport things like explosives, weapons or ammunition.

The new regulations will apply to drones that weigh more than 55 pounds. Most of the changes are scheduled to go into effect June 1.
Garneau's announcement comes as the presence of drones near the U.K.'s Gatwick Airport before Christmas led to chaos. Hundreds of flights were cancelled because of the threat of drones colliding with aircraft, disrupting the travel plans of more than 100,000 passengers.

Getty images Getty images
On Tuesday, the sighting of a drone disrupted flights for about an hour at Heathrow, the U.K.'s busiest airport.
Canada has not been immune. In October 2017, a small drone collided with a passenger plane in the skies above Jean Lesage airport in Quebec City, resulting in minor damage. Nobody was hurt. At the time, Garneau described it as the first collision in Canada between a drone and a commercial aircraft.
In June 2017, Garneau told the Montreal Gazette that the prospect of a drone colliding with an aircraft was "the kind of nightmare scenario that keeps me up at night."

Yui Mok/PA/Associated Press Yui Mok/PA/Associated Press
The government introduced interim rules in 2017 to govern drones while it worked on the final regulations. The regulations were adopted by cabinet just before Christmas around the same time drone sightings were disrupting Gatwick flights.

The overriding theme in the new regulations is the need to prohibit the operation of drones "in such a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of any person."
Nobody can be a registered owner of a drone unless they are at least 14 years old and a citizen or permanent resident of Canada. Corporations and federal, municipal or provincial governments can also own drones.
Unless they have a special certificate permitting them to do so, drone operators will have to keep their drones in their visual line of sight at all
times. They won't be allowed to fly them too close to airports, heliports or in controlled airspace and they will have to give way to aircraft, airships, gliders and balloons.

With the exception of police, rescue and firefighting operations, nobody will be allowed to fly a drone over or within a security perimeter set up by officials in response to an emergency. That could prohibit news organizations from using drones equipped with cameras to get aerial footage of crimes, disasters or terrorist attacks.

Drinking alcohol within 12 hours of being on a drone flight crew is prohibited, as is being "under the influence of alcohol" or "any drug that impairs the person's faculties to the extent that aviation safety or the safety of any person is endangered or likely to be endangered."

The rules also prohibit anyone from operating a drone or taking part in a drone flight crew when they are tired or otherwise unable to properly perform their duties.

No one will be allowed to fly a drone when the weather conditions prevent seeing the drone at all times, or when frost, ice or snow are stuck to the drone. Those who want to fly a drone at night will need special lights.
Those who want to fly them over a concert or sporting event will need a special flight operations certificate. It will also take a special flight operations certificate for a drone to transport things like explosives, weapons, ammunition, or flammable or biohazardous material.

There will be two levels of pilot certificate to operate a drone. Those with a basic certificate will have to be at least 14 years old and pass a test. However, the regulations also provide for someone under 14 to operate a drone if supervised by someone 14 or older who has a certificate.

Those with advanced operations certificates will get to fly closer to airports and controlled airspace. They will have to be at least 16 years old and pass an exam and a flight review.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:48 AM   #3
tommy321
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Tom Hastie
Radio of choice:
Anything 72MHz
# of RCs: 999

The new regs have been published. The minor mistake in that CBC article is that they apply to aircraft weighing between 250g and 25kg (not above 55lbs like it states).

Here's the link to the release:
http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/20...ors11-eng.html

Tom
tommy321 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:55 AM   #4
Trumpetman
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 60

We need a statement from MAAC. Where do club fliers stand under the new rules?
Old 01-10-2019, 01:10 PM   #5
buffythesaint
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Buffy

Total Props: 15

The Minister can grant exemptions. MAAC will get an exemption and it will be MAAC regs at MAAC fields. Basically as before. New rules don't come into affect until 01Jun2019.
buffythesaint is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:16 PM   #6
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 35

I know I will get slammed but wondering just where, what and how the situation will pan out with all those non IC/ISED certified radio systems out there and how that will fit in ?Who will enforce it ?
Just did a quick read of the link by Tommy. At #3 post but will to a more thorough read when I get more time.
stegl is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:54 PM   #7
Phlier
RCC Junior Contributor

I am: Phil S
Radio of choice:
DX 9

The rules take effect the beginning of our funfly season in the North. I will not be submitting our local funfly's till i here something from MAAC.

Like it or not i cant see MAAC members being exempt from the pilot and plane registry as per TC.

I just looked up advance pilot training and schools. They list 61 facilities as cross Canada just after the announcement. I realize that they have been doing training and licensing for drone operations for a long time but these new guild lines just came out and they are approved, seams like training shools have a voice and are being kept up to date.

I do realize that almost all types of flying that MAAC covers will only require a basic license.

Cheers
Phil
Phlier is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:57 PM   #8
buffythesaint
RCC Pro Contributor

I am: Buffy

Total Props: 15

I took the Basic test and passed without taking an approved course. I now have a "pilot" license for 01Jun2019. I can take a small advanced exam that covers the advanced guidelines, for part of the advanced license. You will still need to have a flight review, basically showing an approved reviewer that you operate the UAS safely and within the rules.
buffythesaint is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:13 AM   #9
Beckler
RCC Apprentice

I am: Yeppler H.

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffythesaint View Post
I took the Basic test and passed without taking an approved course. I now have a "pilot" license for 01Jun2019. I can take a small advanced exam that covers the advanced guidelines, for part of the advanced license. You will still need to have a flight review, basically showing an approved reviewer that you operate the UAS safely and within the rules.
So for the basic test you don't need to know everything set out in the 'knowledge requirements' document (http://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/avia.../tp-15263.html)
which would be ridiculous, but which they indicate you do? They can never be clear about anything apparently.
Beckler is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:31 AM   #10
stegl
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: Len S
Radio of choice:
DS16 And still use my trusty SD-10.
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 35

Not sure what point you are calling “ridiculous” . The TC link can specify any rule they wish with weight limits on whatever they choose . That is outside the operating and rule parameters that MAAC specifies for operation at MAAC sanctioned sites.
Don’t know if it can be any simpler ,as said by Buffy.......when flying OFF MAAC sanctioned sites ; you follow TC rules when flying ON MAAC SANCTIONED SITES you follow MAAC rules. All this has been distributed by The MAAC president and in Zone C , reaffirmed by it’s Director and would assume that other zones followed suit.
Pretty simple, in my humble opinion. Best to be infirmed by facts rather than by fiction.

Last edited by stegl; 01-12-2019 at 12:05 PM.
stegl is online now   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in