ASP FS-120 Fonction of intake/crank-case link ? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 10-11-2019, 11:01 PM   #1
xet303
RCC Noob

I am: Marc-Alain D
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX-8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 0
ASP FS-120 Fonction of intake/crank-case link ?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi everybody,
What is the function of the link between (intake manifold /crank case) on this engine
(ASP-FS120). See pic

The motor run without,I was asking myself this question ?
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	805.2 KB
ID:	1647947  

Last edited by xet303; 10-11-2019 at 11:09 PM. Reason: add pic
xet303 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:39 AM   #2
floyd
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Floyd S

Total Props: 15
Re: ASP FS-120 Fonction of intake/crank-case link ?

Any extra crankcase oil goes back into the engine for extra lubrication when running glow fuel. It was thought to keep all the bearings well lubed at all times. The earlier 4-Strokes had a crankcase vent for the extra oil to exit the engine. As in the picture with the vent on the bottom of the engine.

Your exhaust looks very varnished up. Try some fuel injector cleaner if you have any trouble with the exhaust valve not closing properly. Cheers Floyd
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF5719.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	1647949  

Last edited by floyd; 10-12-2019 at 04:21 PM.
floyd is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:35 AM   #3
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 39

Any ringed engine will have some leakage down into the crankcase. In fact, that is how the lube mixed in the fuel gets distributed around a 4-stroke engine.

Two unintended problems with this is without some way to clear it out that lube would accumulate. The second and more insidious downside is combustion products harmful to the engine also get past the ring. These can be corrosive and you want to get rid of them ASAP.

In your car there is a device called a PCV valve that draws from the engine case into the intake where these contaminants and gasses can be burned and exit through the exhaust.

OS thought to do that with this setup, as well as help keep your engine bay and fuse clean by not allowing all that to exit the older style case vent.

NOTE: Previous versions of these used to have a barbed fitting in the rear cover or somewhere else on the case. These could run bare, but I recommended adding a vent line to clear the engine bay as in the pic, (upside down in this case).

One issue if trying to run yours sans that line is there will now be a small opening in the intake tube to possibly affect your mixtures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0122.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	598.5 KB
ID:	1647953  

Old 10-12-2019, 07:45 AM   #4
xet303
RCC Noob

I am: Marc-Alain D
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX-8
# of RCs: 7

Thank you Flyord,Cougar
I'm going to bed tonight less stupid!
You're right for my exhaust port. I sitted valves with valve grinding compound and readjust valves clearance last night, I'll try this gas conversion again today. FS-120 Gas Version V2.0

Last edited by xet303; 10-12-2019 at 08:08 AM.
xet303 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:10 PM   #5
Calum
RCC Apprentice

I am: Calum M
Radio of choice:
Futaba 10C
# of RCs: 16

I had one of these glow engines in my Mustang years ago. It ran very well. the earlier model did not have the additional line going to the camshaft. One day I was pulling straight up after a low pass, the camshaft broke and the engine failed. I had to build a new Mustang after that.

I sent the engine back to HobbyKing where I bought it and after a time they sent me a new one with this added tube. Now you know why they put it there.

The new engine still works well.
MAAC #17845
Calum
Calum is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:58 AM   #6
Cougar429
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Gary L

Total Props: 39

Calum, that line came with the Surpass III version of OS engines and to my knowledge was not added to deal with a lube issue. In fact, all previous versions, as well as OS clones and different engine makes worked fine with open case vents.

I have seen some where that vent has been relocated from the rear cover to somewhere in the front and have modded a few for that new position, mostly to better gravity clear residue once the engine is shut down.

I suspect a broken cam on an engine with that style of drive would have come from bad manufacturing, QC or a seized bearing. I have had to replace straight cut cams, (Saito) where drive teeth have broken off. The instigator there was either backfire, (too lean) or doing "The Goat" had impact stop engine rotation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in